aptosid.com

Upgrade Warnings - [FIXED] APT: MaxLoopCount reached in SmartConfigure

gutterslob - 17.04.2012, 10:24
Post subject: [FIXED] APT: MaxLoopCount reached in SmartConfigure
Got this while upgrading on the little netbook just now.
It's stock Debian Sid (though I have added aptosid's repo and use slh's kernels sometimes), but I'm wondering if anyone here has run into this?

      Code:
The following packages will be upgraded:
  glib-networking glib-networking-common glib-networking-services gpicview info install-info libsoup-gnome2.4-1
  libsoup2.4-1 libtag1-vanilla libtag1c2a libtagc0 lxappearance python-apt-common
13 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 1,292 kB of archives.
After this operation, 101 kB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? Y
Get:1 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ sid/main glib-networking-common all 2.32.1-1 [50.8 kB]
Get:2 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ sid/main glib-networking i386 2.32.1-1 [58.2 kB]
Get:3 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ sid/main glib-networking-services i386 2.32.1-1 [13.0 kB]
Get:4 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ sid/main libsoup2.4-1 i386 2.38.1-1 [221 kB]
Get:5 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ sid/main libsoup-gnome2.4-1 i386 2.38.1-1 [48.4 kB]
Get:6 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ sid/main libtag1-vanilla i386 1.7.1-2 [253 kB]
Get:7 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ sid/main libtag1c2a i386 1.7.1-2 [9,136 B]
Get:8 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ sid/main libtagc0 i386 1.7.1-2 [15.2 kB]
Get:9 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ sid/main install-info i386 4.13a.dfsg.1-10 [147 kB]
Get:10 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ sid/main info i386 4.13a.dfsg.1-10 [220 kB]                                       
Get:11 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ sid/main gpicview i386 0.2.2-2 [96.5 kB]                                           
Get:12 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ sid/main python-apt-common all 0.8.4 [95.4 kB]                                     
Get:13 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ sid/main lxappearance i386 0.5.1-2 [63.8 kB]                                       
Fetched 1,292 kB in 6s (243 kB/s)                                                                                       
E: Internal error: APT::pkgPackageManager::MaxLoopCount reached in SmartConfigure for glib-networking-common:i386, aborting


Seems like the SmartConfigure counter isn't initialized or something. I remember a bug like this some time back, but (just in case) if it is a problem on my end this time, some advice on the matter or words of wisdom would be highly appreciated.

Thanks.
slh - 17.04.2012, 12:01
Post subject: RE: Problem with APT (MaxLoopCount reached in SmartConfigure
This is #669060, fixed packages are in our repository (and will become in plain Debian after the next mirror sync). If apt won't install them, due to the afforementioned bug, fetch them from http://aptosid.com/debian/pool/fix.main/a/apt/ and install the apt package with dpkg -i.
gutterslob - 17.04.2012, 12:30
Post subject: RE: Problem with APT (MaxLoopCount reached in SmartConfigure
Thanks slh,

Re-synched the packages index via "apt-get update" and noticed new files available from http://aptosid.com/debian/ sid/fix main. Got the same SmartConfigure MaxLoopCount error for libapt-pkg4.12:i386, so I grabbed the related deb from the address you linked and installed it manually (with dpkg -i). After that, "apt-get upgrade" upgraded the remaining packages and finished without any further errors.

Seems like it's been resolved.

Cheers.
DonKult - 18.04.2012, 16:23
Post subject: RE: Problem with APT (MaxLoopCount reached in SmartConfigure
Yeah, as said in the numerous bugreports: Sorry for the inconvenience.

Epic QA-fail on your side.

I would promise that this will never happen, but that is highly unlikely…
piper - 19.04.2012, 21:54
Post subject: Re: RE: Problem with APT (MaxLoopCount reached in SmartConfi
      DonKult wrote:

I would promise that this will never happen, but that is highly unlikely…


Where's your sense of adventure Wink Smile
DonKult - 20.04.2012, 10:55
Post subject: Re: RE: Problem with APT (MaxLoopCount reached in SmartConfi
      piper wrote:
      DonKult wrote:

I would promise that this will never happen, but that is highly unlikely…


Where's your sense of adventure Wink Smile


It's here: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepor ... =669061#27

I mean, what is more adventures than compiling newest apt in a virtual machine with a different architecture (sparc) in a debian etch environment (that is the release before the one (lenny) before squeeze). Question Wink
DeepDayze - 20.04.2012, 14:04
Post subject: Re: RE: Problem with APT (MaxLoopCount reached in SmartConfi
      DonKult wrote:
      piper wrote:
      DonKult wrote:

I would promise that this will never happen, but that is highly unlikely…


Where's your sense of adventure Wink Smile


It's here: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepor ... =669061#27

I mean, what is more adventures than compiling newest apt in a virtual machine with a different architecture (sparc) in a debian etch environment (that is the release before the one (lenny) before squeeze). Question Wink



A real boon if you are crazy enough to be developing apps for ARM or (gasp) S390 mainframes on an x86 system!
DonKult - 20.04.2012, 19:01
Post subject: Re: RE: Problem with APT (MaxLoopCount reached in SmartConfi
      DeepDayze wrote:
      DonKult wrote:
      piper wrote:
      DonKult wrote:

I would promise that this will never happen, but that is highly unlikely…


Where's your sense of adventure Wink Smile


It's here: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepor ... =669061#27

I mean, what is more adventures than compiling newest apt in a virtual machine with a different architecture (sparc) in a debian etch environment (that is the release before the one (lenny) before squeeze). Question Wink



A real boon if you are crazy enough to be developing apps for ARM or (gasp) S390 mainframes on an x86 system!


Mhhh. Does s390x count, too? I think that will keep me busy for a while… http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=669427 Wink


I wonder if i will ever be in physical possession of any such system…
Jörg - 07.05.2012, 07:56
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Problem with APT (MaxLoopCount reached in SmartC
Unfortunately I am not as clever as Dr. Who and still cannot DU, because of "... MaxLoopCount reached ... for libc-bin:i386, aborting! Thank you for any help in advance.
DonKult - 10.05.2012, 19:34
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Problem with APT (MaxLoopCount reached in SmartC
Download a fixed version of he library. Easiest (and most secure, too) done with apt-get itself (as user):
      Code:
apt-get download libapt-pkg4.12=0.9.2

Then, switch to being root with the 'su' command and execute:
      Code:
dpkg -i libapt-pkg4.12_0.9.2_*.deb


You should then be able to dist-upgrade as usual again.
Jörg - 11.05.2012, 09:53
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Problem with APT (MaxLoopCount reached in SmartC
Thank you for your help - in the meantime I received advice already from the German forum.
DonKult - 11.05.2012, 14:38
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: Problem with APT (MaxLoopCount reached in Sm
      Jörg wrote:
Thank you for your help - in the meantime I received advice already from the German forum.

I saw that later (i usually read the english before the german forum), but just in case someone else comes (still) across this problem its good to have it here, too.
All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Powered by PNphpBB2 © 2003-2010 The Zafenio Group
Credits