aptosid.com

Software - Web browser issue [solved]

Luis_P - 15.10.2012, 11:35
Post subject: Web browser issue [solved]
From a few days, I've a very annoying problem with my browsers. When trying to access to a web page which needs to be identified (user name and password), the browser hangs. No matter which browser I am using (iceweasel, midori, Opera), it is no possible to access if the web page asks for identification.

I suspected that xulrunner is the culprit, because this package has recently changed. I've loaded all the xulrunner packages
      Code:

lluis@myxbox:~$ dpkg-query -l | grep ii | grep xulrunner
ii  xulrunner-1.9.1                           1.9.1.19-3                        amd64        XUL + XPCOM application runner
ii  xulrunner-10.0                            10.0.8esr-1                       amd64        XUL + XPCOM application runner
ii  xulrunner-13.0                            13.0-1                            amd64        XUL + XPCOM application runner
ii  xulrunner-15.0                            15.0.1-1                          amd64        XUL + XPCOM application runner
ii  xulrunner-16.0                            16.0.1-1                          amd64        XUL + XPCOM application runner
ii  xulrunner-5.0                             5.0-6                             amd64        XUL + XPCOM application runner
ii  xulrunner-6.0                             6.0.2-1                           amd64        XUL + XPCOM application runner
ii  xulrunner-7.0                             7.0.1-4                           amd64        XUL + XPCOM application runner
ii  xulrunner-8.0                             8.0-3+b1                          amd64        XUL + XPCOM application runner
ii  xulrunner-9.0                             9.0.1-1                           amd64        XUL + XPCOM application runner
lluis@myxbox:~$


but no success.

If someone has a clue, I'll be very grateful because for my job I must enter into some web pages which need identification.

Luis_P.
towo - 15.10.2012, 12:07
Post subject: RE: Web browser issue
Since opera and midori even don't work, xulrunner can't be the culprint, both browser does not use xulrunner.
Luis_P - 15.10.2012, 13:09
Post subject: RE: Web browser issue
Well, xulrunner is not the culprit, but who is?

I've also had suspicions about jre, java, icedtea and all this family, but I've got lost.

Regards.

Luis_P.
bfree - 15.10.2012, 13:28
Post subject: RE: Web browser issue
I doubt it is java related either, but you can always try removing the lot of it to confirm if you have any real reason to suspect it.

A wild guess it that it is more likely tor or some proxy (or the network itself) is causing the problem. Trying with a livecd/usb should confirm if the problem is really a software one on your computer rather then something to do with the network outside it.

If the problem is really in your computer, going back to your apt logs to see what was upgraded or newly installed might give you a clue (I'd also give another new clean user a test to confirm if they have the same problem).
Luis_P - 15.10.2012, 17:30
Post subject:
      Quote:
you can always try removing the lot of it to confirm if you have any real reason to suspect it.


I've near a hundred of java-related packages. I will erase all of them and reinstall the needed ones. Which are actually needed?

      Quote:
A wild guess it that it is more likely tor or some proxy (or the network itself) is causing the problem.


No, it is not a network related problem. Another machine connected to the web through the same domestic LAN runs fine and a live disk (another distro) running in my computer can connect without problems.

It is a software issue because another user which I've added also has the same problem. And it is independent from the browser. I've also added Chromium whith no success.

      Quote:
going back to your apt logs to see what was upgraded or newly installed might give you a clue


Right, but which package is relevant? Last d-u before the problem arose, upgraded about eighty packages. I can give you the output of /var/log/apt/history, if you want.

Thanks for your support.

Luis_P.

Edit:
More info: For uploading this post it has been necessary go to a live disk; my system was not able to upload it.
Luis_P - 17.10.2012, 09:33
Post subject: Java contradictions
I don't know if java is responsible for the problem explained in the first post, but there is something wrong about java in my computer. First of all, Java is present:
      Code:

lluis@myxbox:~$ java -version
java version "1.7.0_07"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea7 2.3.2) (7u7-2.3.2a-1)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 23.2-b09, mixed mode)
lluis@myxbox:~$

but I cannot run web pages which have a java applet (for instance this one). A warning saying "a plugin is needed to display this content" appears. If I click "install plugin", iceweasel's plugin finder service takes to java runtime environment 1.7 u7 which is no available and sends to a manual install in http://java.com/es/download/index.jsp. There are some Linux packages, but, unfortunately, there is no any deb package, only rpm. I've downloaded one of them and tried to convert to deb using alien, but no luck.

On the other hand, I thought there was some symlink problems. I tried to run update-java-alternatives which gives me a lot of errors:

      Code:
root@myxbox:/# update-java-alternatives -a
update-alternatives: error: no alternatives for appletviewer
update-alternatives: error: no alternatives for extcheck
update-alternatives: error: no alternatives for idlj
update-alternatives: error: no alternatives for jar
update-alternatives: error: no alternatives for jarsigner
update-alternatives: error: no alternatives for javac
update-alternatives: error: no alternatives for javadoc
update-alternatives: error: no alternatives for javah
update-alternatives: error: no alternatives for javap
update-alternatives: error: no alternatives for jcmd
update-alternatives: error: no alternatives for jconsole
update-alternatives: error: no alternatives for jdb
update-alternatives: error: no alternatives for jhat
update-alternatives: error: no alternatives for jinfo
update-alternatives: error: no alternatives for jmap
update-alternatives: error: no alternatives for jps
update-alternatives: error: no alternatives for jrunscript
update-alternatives: error: no alternatives for jsadebugd
update-alternatives: error: no alternatives for jstack
update-alternatives: error: no alternatives for jstat
update-alternatives: error: no alternatives for jstatd
update-alternatives: error: no alternatives for mozilla-javaplugin.so
update-alternatives: error: no alternatives for native2ascii
update-alternatives: error: no alternatives for rmic
update-alternatives: error: no alternatives for schemagen
update-alternatives: error: no alternatives for serialver
update-alternatives: error: no alternatives for wsgen
update-alternatives: error: no alternatives for wsimport
update-alternatives: error: no alternatives for xjc
root@myxbox:/#


Can someone light up these contradictions? Thanks in advance.

Luis_P
slh - 17.10.2012, 11:17
Post subject: RE: Java contradictions
apt-get install icedtea-7-plugin
Luis_P - 19.10.2012, 11:52
Post subject: RE: Java contradictions
      slh wrote:
apt-get install icedtea-7-plugin

This allows see web pages with java applet, but the original problem persists.

Another one has been added: I can't send mail messages with attached file. There is something rotten in my system. I'm afraid that I must reinstall all it. Is Thanatos still far?
Luis_P - 27.10.2012, 19:18
Post subject: Problem persist.
Despite a new installation the problem persist.

Because it is a very grave issue that turns the system useless, I beg to the expert people of this forum some possible solution. Symptoms:

- I can't access to a web page which needs to be identified (user name and password).

- It is not possible to send any e-mail which has an attached file. Emails without attached files are sent with no problems.

- I am no able to send any file through a ftp client (FileZilla). The transfer starts, but hangs.

- Nor to send any commit to a svn server.

More info: It is not a net issue, because others computers on the same local net can sent any file as usual. Nor a hardware problem, because I'm sending this post by my (the same) machine with another OS (don't worry: no win*, nor ubu* Wink). I've been forced to install it, but being accustomed to aptosid, another OS doesn't fit my taste. On the other hand, my aptosid is totally dist-upgraded.

Thanks in advance.

Luis_P.
bfree - 28.10.2012, 13:20
Post subject: RE: Problem persist.
It's strange and obviously not a common problem. Did it work again before you dist-upgraded (or does it work from an aptosid livecd)? About the only thing I can think of is maybe you are missing a firmware for your network card?
piper - 28.10.2012, 16:52
Post subject: RE: Problem persist.
What happens when you run
      Code:
update-alternatives --config java

Luis_P - 28.10.2012, 22:25
Post subject: Maybe solved
There is some new (and important) info. As said, I've reinstalled aptosid and dist-upgraded as usual. Furthermore a lot of packages being upgraded, the kernel was also upgraded, logically. And the system presented all the problems explained before.

But I've not run kernel-remover, so the old kernel (see output of infobash) was still in the machine. It is the kernel coming with the live disk (aptosid Ponos 64 bit Xfce) and booting with this old kernel there are no problems Very Happy
      Code:
lluis1@aptosidbox1:~$ infobash -v3
Host/Kernel/OS  "aptosidbox1" running Linux 3.1-6.slh.1-aptosid-amd64 x86_64 [ aptosid 2011-03 Πόνος - xfce - (201112312100) ]
CPU Info        2x AMD Athlon II X2 250 1024 KB cache flags( sse3 ht nx lm svm ) clocked at [ 800.000 MHz ]
Videocard       Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI RV730 PRO [Radeon HD 4650]  X.Org 1.12.4  [ 1280x1024@60.0hz ]
Network cards   Realtek RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+
                NVIDIA MCP77
Processes 132 | Uptime 3min | Memory 289.1/2008.3MB | HDD Maxtor 6Y080L0,ST3250318AS Size 332GB (12%used) | GLX Renderer Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 0x209) | GLX Version Yes | Client Shell | Infobash v3.45
lluis1@aptosidbox1:~$

Then, from my ignorance, I think it is a kernel (perhaps module) issue. I agree with bfree that is strange that no more people have been concerned.

Thanks a lot for your interest.

Luis_P.
muchan - 29.10.2012, 13:52
Post subject: RE: Maybe solved
From other thread pointing to this:
http://aptosid.com/index.php?name=PNphp ... 5673#15673

I see you have reinstalled the system but using the same configuration files for your
applications (web browser)? in this case, if the problem is in config files, you don't
see any improvement... you can try creating new user, and try the web browser.
Luis_P - 30.10.2012, 13:37
Post subject: Re: RE: Maybe solved
      muchan wrote:
I see you have reinstalled the system but using the same configuration files for your
applications (web browser)? in this case, if the problem is in config files, you don't
see any improvement... you can try creating new user, and try the web browser.


I've already tried with another user, but it is no possible to start iceweasel, as explained in this tread.

This occurs With kernel 3.1-6.slh.1 and also with 3.6-3.slh.2.

Regards.

Luis_P.
muchan - 02.11.2012, 12:41
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Maybe solved
but you mix things... you have tried new user before reinstallation,
you tried new insteration with old configuration.
So from what I see, you have never tried fresh configuration after
reinstallation. In other word, we don't know if pristine aptosid
after installation on your PC functions properly or not.
CaesarTjalbo - 02.11.2012, 14:52
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Maybe solved
Might there be some issue (what i don't know) with the location for temporary internet files?

(I've no clue really but the symptoms suggest a different problem to me)
piper - 02.11.2012, 16:33
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: Maybe solved
      muchan wrote:
but you mix things... you have tried new user before reinstallation,
you tried new insteration with old configuration.
So from what I see, you have never tried fresh configuration after
reinstallation. In other word, we don't know if pristine aptosid
after installation on your PC functions properly or not.


Exact reason(s) I never use a separate home on a rolling release, it *can muck things up if not watched carefully.
DeepDayze - 03.11.2012, 14:18
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: Maybe solved
      piper wrote:
      muchan wrote:
but you mix things... you have tried new user before reinstallation,
you tried new insteration with old configuration.
So from what I see, you have never tried fresh configuration after
reinstallation. In other word, we don't know if pristine aptosid
after installation on your PC functions properly or not.


Exact reason(s) I never use a separate home on a rolling release, it *can muck things up if not watched carefully.


You CAN have a separate /home if you rename your old /home/$USERNAME and then allow the installer to put /home on the root partition. Move the /home/$USERNAME to the partition where you keep your /home and add an entry in fstab for it. Don't forget to move your data from your backed up old username to the new one.

Hope that helps
Luis_P - 04.11.2012, 11:56
Post subject:
      muchan wrote:
but you mix things... you have tried new user before reinstallation,

No, I've tried a new user before and after the new installation: both times with the same result: iceweasel could not start.

      muchan wrote:
you tried new insteration with old configuration.
So from what I see, you have never tried fresh configuration after
reinstallation. In other word, we don't know if pristine aptosid
after installation on your PC functions properly or not.

No, I've followed slh's advice. I've created a new /home partition and did copy/paste of some directories from the old /home to the new /home, and all (the reinstallation) was fine and the system was right also. However the main problem showed up again when I dist-upgraded. With a new kernel, the issues come back.

Thanks for your interest.

Luis_P.
muchan - 05.11.2012, 10:10
Post subject:
1. "all (the reinstallation) was fine and the system was right also"
means iceweasel worked as it should before dist-upgrade?

2. Have you installed anything manually between the 'working system'
(with regard to the current iceweasel problem) and dist-upgrading?
Luis_P - 05.11.2012, 11:04
Post subject:
1- Yes, it ran as expected

2- As far I can remember, I did not install anything before d-u.
piper - 06.11.2012, 15:08
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: Maybe solved
      DeepDayze wrote:
      piper wrote:
      muchan wrote:
but you mix things... you have tried new user before reinstallation,
you tried new insteration with old configuration.
So from what I see, you have never tried fresh configuration after
reinstallation. In other word, we don't know if pristine aptosid
after installation on your PC functions properly or not.


Exact reason(s) I never use a separate home on a rolling release, it *can muck things up if not watched carefully.


You CAN have a separate /home if you rename your old /home/$USERNAME and then allow the installer to put /home on the root partition. Move the /home/$USERNAME to the partition where you keep your /home and add an entry in fstab for it. Don't forget to move your data from your backed up old username to the new one.

Hope that helps


actually, it doesn't help me at all, I just don't bother, nothing beats a "clean" install and is easier to diagnose for problems that may arise.

have i done it before, sure, but to me, it's like using a phillips screwdriver on a straight head screw

i did post this, for those that do use a separate home.

it *can muck things up if not watched carefully.

i am not a fan at all of this procedure, as to me, it takes out the "clean" of a "clean install"

however, that is the beauty of linux
it's your choice
muchan - 07.11.2012, 11:28
Post subject:
      Luis_P wrote:
1- Yes, it ran as expected

2- As far I can remember, I did not install anything before d-u.


Now, then detailed questions

1.A. Did it work properly with clean installation before you copied your config files? (I assume Yes)

1.B. Did it work properly with clean installation after you copied your config files, but with dist-upgrade?

if 1.B. is yes, then problem is in some updated packages...

(Just to make sure, don't you think your problem is same or related to the problem of these thread?
http://www.aptosid.com/index.php?name=P ... amp;t=2364
http://aptosid.com/index.php?name=PNphp ... mp;p=15720
)
Luis_P - 09.11.2012, 18:00
Post subject:
Thanks for your interest muchan, but that the second/new user cannot start iceweasel is not a real problem because actually there is no second user in my system. He was created only for test purposes. And also I've tried the advices of these post with no luck.

My real and big problem is the bad behaviour of the system (with new kernels) when sending files to the net or doing authentication, as explained.

Regards.

Luis_P.
DonKult - 09.11.2012, 23:18
Post subject:
The symptoms are pretty strange and I guess everyone ran out of ideas, so lets suggest "strange" things:

Do you have an up-to-date BIOS? (see also manual).
And do you have the microcode package for your CPU installed (from non-free; see manual)?
muchan - 11.11.2012, 12:28
Post subject:
(quoted from other thread, but concerning the problem of this thread)

      Luis_P wrote:

On the other hand, I had thought to use a virtual machine for the (big) problem with authentication, but I am afraid it is not practical: I should change very often between VM and normal system. It is much better to start with an old kernel (3.1-6.slh.1) which runs smoothly. I do not know if I can do so much, because there will be a gap between the kernel and the packages more and more wide.

Luis_P.


You say your problem (of authentication on browser) does not appear on dist-upgraded system
if you start old kernel? I think you have never said it on the thread...
Luis_P - 16.11.2012, 19:20
Post subject:
      muchan wrote:

You say your problem (of authentication on browser) does not appear on dist-upgraded system
if you start old kernel? I think you have never said it on the thread...

Yes, muchan, I said it (please, see post 28.10.2012, 23:25 in this thread).

Anyway, the problem is not solved but almost, because I can run aptosid smoothly with the old kernel. My concern now is if there will be a discordance between the kernel (old) and the packages (new).

Thanks again.

Luis_P.
muchan - 16.11.2012, 23:36
Post subject:
[quote="Luis_P"]
      muchan wrote:

Yes, muchan, I said it (please, see post 28.10.2012, 23:25 in this thread).
Luis_P.


Oh, sorry. Really I didn't read that post enough carefully...

So, it's not just about problem of some debian packages, but rather interaction between the new package and features of new kernels about authentication...

Only way to search true reason of problem would be
(1) gradually update kernels to find at which upgrade the problem appears.
and
(2) with that kerenel gradually upgrade debian packages (with snapshots?) to find out which version of which packages causes
problem,
then with difference of codes in both kernel and the package, the real reason of the problem would be known...

[edit: no... this (2) is not necessary... since old kernel and new system works... so some change in kernel triggered the problem... ]

but... you can use the old kernel without problem. so I it's practically solved...
Luis_P - 03.12.2012, 13:55
Post subject: Again
More info about this problem.

Now I'm sure that it is a kernel 3.6 issue. The new born Thanatos (kernel 3.6.9) has also the problem.

I've tried with others distros. With a live disk of Cinnarch, which has the 3.6.6.1 kernel, I cannot access to a web page which needs to be identified (user name and password), as said before. On the other hand, a live disk of sabayon (kernel 3.5.0) runs fine. My wife's laptop, which has aptosid with two kernels, presents the same behavior: kernel 3.6.8 doesn't run well but 3.5.4 does fine.

This information is for developers, since I think there will be more people beaten by this issue.

Regards.

Luis_P.
x-un-i - 03.12.2012, 17:40
Post subject: RE: Again
did you tried to scan the /var/log/ files for any system messages on the nonworking booted system?

If it's something kernel related i would expect some dust there

could also have/exist some related and relevant info on .xsession-errors this on $HOME.

Did you tried with iceweasel started in safe mode?
Luis_P - 03.12.2012, 21:51
Post subject: RE: Again
Iceweasel in -safe-mode behaves also bad.
what must I search for in .xsession-errors and /var/log/ files?
slh - 03.12.2012, 22:12
Post subject: RE: Again
I'd suggest to clear it first (given that your problems appears to be easily reproducable for you ":> ~/xsession-errors") and then watch it for irregularities when you try to reproduce your problem (there will be unrelated noise, as many KDE applications are a bit too verbose, but you might also stumble over a smoking gun).
Luis_P - 21.12.2012, 11:10
Post subject: Culprit found
From more than two months I've been standing a big problem with my Internet connection. As said, I was not able to connect to a web page which needed identification. I had found that it was related with the kernel: kernel 3.6 and following did not work well and 3.5 and anterior ran fine.

Now I have the explanation: my domestic LAN was based on an old 3Com router. This aged machine died away and with the new one the serious (for me) problem has been solved. I say it here for the sake of experience.

Thanks to everybody who tried to aid me.

Luis_P.
All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Powered by PNphpBB2 © 2003-2010 The Zafenio Group
Credits