View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
SquiglyOffline
Post subject: MCE remote with Lirc: no lirc-modules-source  PostPosted: 06.07.2011, 11:40

Good day.

I'm trying to get a MCE remote working.
I've read I need the mceusb module and that on SID it needs to be compiled from the lirc-modules-sources
However, there's no such package available to apt.

1. What am I missing?
2. How can I get mceusb module to lirc?

best regards,
S.

Reply with quote Back to top
slhOffline
Post subject: RE: MCE remote with Lirc: no lirc-modules-source  PostPosted: 06.07.2011, 12:11

Please read /usr/share/doc/lirc/NEWS.Debian.gz.

In short all previously existing lirc kernel modules have been merged into the mainline kernel since 2.6.36, be it as offical RC_CORE based ones or preliminary staging alternatices, and lirc-modules-sources is no longer required (and has subsequently been dropped from Debian). Information about in-kernel lirc is still a bit volatile, as old style kernel modules are still ported over to their final state in RC_CORE.

SquiglyOffline
Post subject: RE: MCE remote with Lirc: no lirc-modules-source  PostPosted: 06.07.2011, 12:23

I see.
I understand that using the new RC_core is somewhay different than "regular" lircd,
Can you please point me to some info where I can setup lirc with the new RC_core?

Thank you.

slhOffline
Post subject: RE: MCE remote with Lirc: no lirc-modules-source  PostPosted: 06.07.2011, 13:43

Unfortunately all my lirc devices are old-style or devinput, but mceusb should be auto-loaded (check with lsmod), so you shouldn't need to load any modules. As far as I know, mceusb devices allow both devinput operations and the lirc protocal, devinput is likely the easier way and may even work basically out of the box with configuring /usr/share/lirc/remotes/devinput/lircd.conf.devinput and its event device.

What kind of mceusb device are you using?

piperOffline
Post subject: RE: MCE remote with Lirc: no lirc-modules-source  PostPosted: 06.07.2011, 13:58

I have a rc6 mce remote that came with my hauppauge hvr2250 (love this card) (non-usb) that I haven't really messed around with (maybe 10 minutes)
my ATI remote wonder works well (don't even need lirc installed) with the card

I have a little time today, I might try this site out

http://lircconfig.commandir.com/

piperOffline
Post subject: RE: MCE remote with Lirc: no lirc-modules-source  PostPosted: 08.07.2011, 14:16

Can I see the output of
      Code:
dmesg | grep tveeprom

I will be in europe as of today, I will try and follow this thread, not sure if I am going to have a computer to use or not Sad

piperOffline
Post subject: RE: MCE remote with Lirc: no lirc-modules-source  PostPosted: 09.07.2011, 02:28

Ok, mother nature cancelled my flight, gonna try again tomorrow Wink

I don't know which remote you have, there are many mce's, try this at first

You will have to blacklist lirc_mceusb2 (/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf)

Code:
modprobe rc_rc6_mce
modprobe ir_rc6_decoder
mceusb

slhOffline
Post subject: RE: MCE remote with Lirc: no lirc-modules-source  PostPosted: 09.07.2011, 13:50

There is no lirc_mceusb2, therefore you can't[1] blacklist something that doesn't exist either.

[1] well, technically you could - but it wouldn't make any sense.

piperOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: MCE remote with Lirc: no lirc-modules-source  PostPosted: 09.07.2011, 14:29

slh wrote:
There is no lirc_mceusb2, therefore you can't[1] blacklist something that doesn't exist either.

[1] well, technically you could - but it wouldn't make any sense.

Yes, it was merged into a single driver known as lirc_mceusb
and more recently (2.6.35 and above and lirc 0.8.7) the module is now known as just mceusb

I had the blacklist on a old config, my mistake Embarassed

New research on the mce remote that come with the hvr 2250 is right now it can't be done yet

SquiglyOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: MCE remote with Lirc: no lirc-modules-source  PostPosted: 10.07.2011, 11:02

Sorry for the late reply.
Seems that slh's advise on using devinput works, not all the buttons works, but since most of them works correctly, I'll give it a thumb up for being my XBMC remote,
when I'll have some time I'll dig into remapping the ones that doesn't quite work.

The chipset on the receiver is by "TOPSEED", though when I try to use ir-keytable the darn thing keeps telling me it can find anything in sys/class/rc.
since I don't know what sys/class/rc is, nor how to get the stupid receiver to appear on sys/class/rc, I'd opt'ed to stay with the (now working) devinput.

Thanks for the help mates.

mzOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: MCE remote with Lirc: no lirc-modules-source  PostPosted: 10.07.2011, 15:22

Squigly wrote:
when I'll have some time I'll dig into remapping the ones that doesn't quite work.

If you have keycodes > 255, you may want to see this:http://archive.pfb.no/2010/12/14/fully-working-remote-control/
and note that you will want the code-remap-2.6.0 branch.

It works well for me, but you have to remember to rebuild after you get newer versions of xserver-xorg-...

DeepDayzeOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: MCE remote with Lirc: no lirc-modules-source  PostPosted: 10.07.2011, 19:40

mz wrote:
      Squigly wrote:

If you have keycodes > 255, you may want to see this:http://archive.pfb.no/2010/12/14/fully-working-remote-control/
and note that you will want the code-remap-2.6.0 branch.

It works well for me, but you have to remember to rebuild after you get newer versions of xserver-xorg-...
Would this also work with multimedia keyboards that have several keycodes that map to values higher than 255?

mzOffline
Post subject: RE: MCE remote with Lirc: no lirc-modules-source  PostPosted: 11.07.2011, 01:20

Yes, as long it is an evdev device. The referenced article mentions an apple keyboard with at least one high keycode.

DeepDayzeOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: MCE remote with Lirc: no lirc-modules-source  PostPosted: 11.07.2011, 02:08

mz wrote:
Yes, as long it is an evdev device. The referenced article mentions an apple keyboard with at least one high keycode.
I have a MS Digital Media Pro keyboard that has a lot of keycodes >255 for the media buttons so was wondering if this patched evdev will work with it

mzOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: MCE remote with Lirc: no lirc-modules-source  PostPosted: 12.07.2011, 01:46

DeepDayze wrote:
      mz wrote:
I have a MS Digital Media Pro keyboard that has a lot of keycodes >255 for the media buttons so was wondering if this patched evdev will work with it

If you have one of these keyboards then you are the one who is best equipped to answer this.

Jump to: