View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
LatOffline
Post subject: Since when normal ntfs can write on ntfs partitions?  PostPosted: 05.07.2011, 18:23

I plugged in an external NTFS disk in my computer and I was surprised I could write directly without using nfts-3g. Now I want to write to the permanent external disk I use. The manual still uses ntfs-3g http://manual.aptosid.com/en/part-gpart ... #hd-ntfs3g

What are we supposed to use now? regular ntfs or ntfs-3g. How stable the ntfs writing is now?

This is what I have right now:
      Code:
/dev/disk/by-uuid/9272E9FD7AC9E5C8            /data/WBmnt           ntfs             auto,users,rw,noexec,nodev,nls=utf8      0 0
and I can write on it

Thank you

Reply with quote Back to top
piperOffline
Post subject: RE: Since when normal ntfs can write on ntfs partitions?  PostPosted: 05.07.2011, 21:49

What does apt-cache policy ntfs-3g say ?

libntfs-3g804 (amd64) was removed yesterday (july 4) (dep: libc6 (>= 2.11) )

ntfs-3g:amd64 was upgraded (1:2011.4.12AR.3-2)

ntfs-3g is a ntfs driver for fuse

similar packages:

ntfs-3g
ntfs-3g-dbg
libntfs-3g31
libntfs-3g75
libntfs-3g80
libntfs-3g54
fuse-posixovl
libntfs-3g-dev
ntfs-3g-dev
fusecompress-dbg
mhddfs

LatOffline
Post subject: RE: Since when normal ntfs can write on ntfs partitions?  PostPosted: 10.07.2011, 03:10

Thanks piper, I follow the homepage link that apt-cache show provides and found http://www.tuxera.com/community/ntfs-3g ... lugandplay

It looks like ntfs-3g somehow replaced ntfs and now writing support on ntfs is now default.
      Code:
la /sbin/mount.ntfs
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 13 May 26 05:29 /sbin/mount.ntfs -> mount.ntfs-3g

DeepDayzeOffline
Post subject: RE: Since when normal ntfs can write on ntfs partitions?  PostPosted: 10.07.2011, 20:17

if you want rw support just remove the ro from the fstab entries corresponding to your NTFS drives. Just for safety I'd keep the ro on for the C: drive and allow rw for any others that don't have important data (if you have multiple NTFS partitions)

Jump to: