View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
neosidOffline
Post subject: gnome-panel unusable (Very high cpu usage) bug=633864  PostPosted: 15.07.2011, 18:50

My latest sid, with Gnone, upgrade also has no gnome panel, and the computers fans are kicking on high(CPU?), where it's usually silent.

It is suggested that the sid libgtk2.0-0 is the problem. However, my attempts at pulling the testing version, libgtk2.0-0=2.24.4-3, into sid, would remove half (or a bunch) of my system, so that's a big NO! Anyone know how to do it?

Meanwhile, I am using KDE , Fluxbox, or other DM, till a fix comes through.

How do we do the workaround, for Gnome, till then? The bug reports suggest, it's doable.

http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=633864

Reply with quote Back to top
seasonsOffline
Post subject: RE: gnome-panel unusable (Very high cpu usage) bug=633864  PostPosted: 15.07.2011, 19:34

You upgraded to a broken version, so the best solution is to wait for it to be fixed and use <alternate> instead. It probably will be fixed fairly quickly since there's a bug report and the problematic commit is identified. Also, note that this should be in 'User Scripts and Dragons' subforum because aptosid does not officially support running gnome.

neosidOffline
Post subject: RE: gnome-panel unusable (Very high cpu usage) bug=633864  PostPosted: 17.07.2011, 06:09

Add: Now fixed in sid.

So much for apt-listbugs. What's the best place to find warnings about gnome then; before upgrading? Gnome is a major, and important alternative to KDE; when it breaks. Thank you, for your reply.

Add:============= SOLUTION/WORKAROUND ============:

In trying all manner of default settings, I have found setting panel (Right-click) Properties > Background > None (Use System Theme), fixes the problem!

Then you may restart (quicker) by going to console, Ctrl-Alt-F1, and as root,
      Code:
service gdm3 restart

...or kdm, or what have you.

I had "Solid color", and with the transparency slider on, which may be at issue.

Yep, CPU usage of gnome-panel and related, have tamed down! So here's a fix, for now. The panel is up! Very Happy

I would restart (gdm3, over and over); using the method I posted above, until I could temporarily get the gnome-panel (that soon would crash). Good point. Sometimes, it does not show at all. For me, a few times, would get it going; so you can change settings.

I've found, once I turned it back on, to "Solid color"/transparency, and the CPU for gnome-panel spikes-up (till the fix comes through), as viewed in the gnome-system-monitor, if you then turn it back to "None", it doesn't change to no transparency, until you kill gnome-panel. Then, it will re-spawn, and work correctly (With panel, and no CPU spiking, but no transparency), as set to "None".

Last edited by neosid on 21.07.2011, 04:49; edited 2 times in total

dpdt1Offline
Post subject: RE: gnome-panel unusable (Very high cpu usage) bug=633864  PostPosted: 18.07.2011, 14:18

thanks for the workaround, will try it at home.

well libgtk2.0-0 is in official sid repos and aptosid is supposed to be supporting those official debian packages. they never said it will support only kde packages or xfce.. (from what i remember)
i dont understand such empathy, from some people.
this is a very serious bug for many people and it is treated like some minor software like kazekahaze or something. (no disrespect there..)

just hope for logic to return...

neosidOffline
Post subject: RE: gnome-panel unusable (Very high cpu usage) bug=633864  PostPosted: 18.07.2011, 15:09

Not seeing it come through my updated sources yet. Meanwhile, my workaround saves one from downgrading attempts, and gets gnome going, till it comes through.

I'm Still wondering why apt-listbugs didn't show this bug.

dpdt1Offline
Post subject: RE: gnome-panel unusable (Very high cpu usage) bug=633864  PostPosted: 21.07.2011, 00:09

problem fixed with latest version of libgtk2.0-0 in sid.

neosidOffline
Post subject: RE: gnome-panel unusable (Very high cpu usage) bug=633864  PostPosted: 21.07.2011, 04:47

Yep, mine's fixed. amd64.

piperOffline
Post subject: RE: gnome-panel unusable (Very high cpu usage) bug=633864  PostPosted: 21.07.2011, 05:40

Quote:

What's the best place to find warnings about gnome then; before upgrading? Gnome is a major, and important alternative to KDE; when it breaks. Thank you, for your reply.

Quote:

aptosid is supposed to be supporting those official debian packages

When did we ever say (since kanotix days) that we support gnome ?

It does not hurt to ask in the forums, you might get some help, but officially gnome just breaks to much in sid to be fully supported at this time, maybe the future will be different

============================

aptosid 2011-02
Contributed by slh on 2011-07-13 10:30 PM

Now that kernel 2.6.39 and KDE 4.6 have entered the archive and stabilised in sid after the "squeeze" release, we have the pleasure to announce the immediate availability of the final aptosid 2011-02 "Ἡμέρα" release, shipping in the following flavours:

KDE-lite, amd64, en/ de, ≈560 MB.
KDE-lite, i686, en/ de, ≈555 MB.
KDE-full, amd64+i686, en/ de (cz, da, el, es, fr, it, ja, nl, pl, pt, pt_BR, ro, ru through liveapt) ≈2.0 GB.
XFCE, amd64, en/ de, ≈475 MB.
XFCE, i686, en/ de, ≈470 MB.

aptosid is a full featured Debian sid based live CD with a special focus on hard disk installations, a clean upgrade path within sid and additional hardware and software support. The ISO is completely based on Debian sid/main, enriched and stabilised with aptosid's own packages and scripts and adhere's to the Debian Social Contract (DFSG).

=====================

I don't see gnome on the list, so we don't support those packages

dpdt1Offline
Post subject: RE: gnome-panel unusable (Very high cpu usage) bug=633864  PostPosted: 21.07.2011, 12:36

Quoting this - http://manual.aptosid.com/en/wel-quicks ... come-quick :

"Use Debian repositories to install your required software packages, as other repositories will most likely not be able to be supported."

does this mean tha gtk packages from debian repos are not supported?
if so, then excuse me, but please rephrase that part.

slamOffline
Post subject: RE: gnome-panel unusable (Very high cpu usage) bug=633864  PostPosted: 21.07.2011, 12:46
Team Member

Just a few lines below in the manuals:
      Quote:
KDE, XFCE and fluxbox are the aptosid defaults. Gnome is not supported by aptosid to date. Some users in the aptosid forums /wiki and IRC chat may have experience and be willing to help you, otherwise you are on your own.

That might change in the future, as there is a little aptosid-gnome group who started working on gnome for Aptosid some months ago, and another group trying to get an officially supported LXDE version of Aptosid ready. Both groups do need more manpower, though. So, if you are interested in one of those, feel free to join #aptosid-gnome or #aptosid-lxde at IRC.
Greetings,
Chris

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
dpdt1Offline
Post subject: RE: gnome-panel unusable (Very high cpu usage) bug=633864  PostPosted: 21.07.2011, 13:01

ok, my bad. didnt notice that. always thought of kanotix & aptosid as a sid -fix- repo for "all" packages.

and i tried aptosid-gnome some months ago, but currently don't have any time for testing or anything else.
and anyway, when gnome3 hits in, i'll be out to another de(lxde most probably), so will be watching that one closer.

thanks,

Jump to: