View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
apogarteOffline
14 Post subject: [closed]usb key install : no network, ceni not working  PostPosted: 18.07.2011, 20:44

hi

sorry to come again with trouble...

I freshly installed new aptosid-2011-02-imera-xfce-i386-201107131632.iso on a stick using this procedure :

first, i downloaded the iso from a working aptosid up to date
installation, then i used the "install aptosid to usb" menu entry, choosing the right stick with my langage option AND persist.

everything went fine, i rebooted, persist seems to work but i cannot get the network functionning. i usually do not need nothing to get it to work (wired), this time i get a strange error with ceni :

eth0 failed due to error at /usr/bin/ceni line 1482
/sbin/ifup: failed to open statefile /etc/network/run/ifstate: Input/output error

a little later, i tried on an other pc (laptop) with a
wifi D-link key (wich i use everyday with other distros and with aptosid), after installing the firmware (i always have it somewhere) via dpkg. wifi is detected, but after entering the wpa key i get something similar :

wlan0 ailed due to error at /usr/bin/ceni line 1482
/sbin/ifup: failed to open statefile /etc/network/run/ifstate: Input/output error

so i wonder wether i did a mistake somewhere wich makes some files unreadable/unwritable ?

thanks to whom might suggest something ?

apoG

Last edited by apogarte on 16.08.2011, 10:01; edited 1 time in total

Reply with quote Back to top
SuperdigiOffline
Post subject: RE: usb key install : no network, ceni not working  PostPosted: 21.07.2011, 06:41

Perhaps the same problem here: I wanted to install Sidux 2011-02 from DVD on my new Computer with Gigabyte GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 Motherboard. In the live mode the network adapter is missing.

dptOffline
Post subject: RE: usb key install : no network, ceni not working  PostPosted: 21.07.2011, 13:51

It is called aptosid now, no longer sidux.
As earlier, all characters lower-case.

dpt

SuperdigiOffline
Post subject: RE: usb key install : no network, ceni not working  PostPosted: 21.07.2011, 13:54

Thank you dpt. Your post is very helpful.

apogarteOffline
Post subject: RE: usb key install : no network, ceni not working  PostPosted: 21.07.2011, 18:44

hello to all

thanks for correcting misspelling
how about this network prob? any clever remark ?

apoG

bfreeOffline
Post subject: RE: usb key install : no network, ceni not working  PostPosted: 21.07.2011, 19:14
Team Member

Everyone grow up please.

As to the problem, you can try and debug it a little (probably starting with what does "ls -l /etc/network/run" say) or just wait for someone to have a bit of time to check it out.

For the record (and to replicate the situation easier), is your usb stick using a vfat filesystem and hence persistence in a file, or is it using an ext filesystem?

apogarteOffline
Post subject: RE: usb key install : no network, ceni not working  PostPosted: 21.07.2011, 19:30

hi bfree, sorry i was just kidding...

my usb stick is formated with ext2 (2partitions) wich was doing good in some other experiments (#!, extlinux, handwritten extlinux.cfg)

i never encountered this network trouble before

i will try to find more as soon as i have a working aptosid live stick in my hand !

as a mater of fact i thought the trouble might come from the installation i did via the usb-installer script, so after reading your topic on "booting aptosid", i experimented the extlinux way and this leaded me into problems...

(message at boot time from extlinux : "unknown keyword in configuration file, could not find kernel image : linux", i've started a new thread for this forgive me if i do too many requests)

(this is why i cannot investigate network prob further i will look for a spare stick and try again)

thanks to you ,

apoG

piperOffline
Post subject: RE: usb key install : no network, ceni not working  PostPosted: 22.07.2011, 05:59

It's been a while since I messed with a stick, if I rememeber correctly I had problems with 2 partitions, but, like I said, its been a while

apogarteOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: usb key install : no network, ceni not working  PostPosted: 22.07.2011, 12:41

hi

piper wrote:
It's been a while since I messed with a stick, if I rememeber correctly I had problems with 2 partitions, but, like I said, its been a while

well never had trouble using 2 partitions (not fat don't use that only ext2 and even unetbootin handles ext2 if extlinux is installed too bad with aptosid it is not working...)

i am into sticks (!) since a while, sometimes it's easy sometimes not, well it seem lots of people still burn cds
well i don't : for me, sticks is the future of cds/dvds and the future is : now...

as far as my point of vue is valid, i think very few experience is done with that and it's a pitty, because as a result it is still unclear how to use the (usb) sticks even with a state of the art distro...

apoG

bfreeOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: usb key install : no network, ceni not working  PostPosted: 22.07.2011, 13:59
Team Member

After checking out extlinux as per the other thread, I went on and used the usb installer to resetup the first partition on the stick using it (and hence grub, fromiso).

Networking worked as expected.

So something is funny here. The only networking oddity I can think of is that it's possible sometimes your ethernet may not come up automatically depending on the timing of when the various boot scripts are run, but in that case running ceni (or probably just ifup eth0) should work fine. Superdigi, perhaps this is what was catching you out?

I really don't have a clue what the problem is here and can't reproduce it. If you can then please at least show the output of "ls -l /etc/network" and "ls -l /etc/network/run/".

I've a suspicion though that something was funny with the stick and or/partitioning and that after following the ideas in the other thread this issue will be gone.

apogarteOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: usb key install : no network, ceni not worki  PostPosted: 16.08.2011, 10:00

bfree wrote:
After checking out extlinux as per the other thread, I went on and used the usb installer to resetup the first partition on the stick using it (and hence grub, fromiso).

Networking worked as expected.

So something is funny here. The only networking oddity I can think of is that it's possible sometimes your ethernet may not come up automatically depending on the timing of when the various boot scripts are run, but in that case running ceni (or probably just ifup eth0) should work fine. Superdigi, perhaps this is what was catching you out?

I really don't have a clue what the problem is here and can't reproduce it. If you can then please at least show the output of "ls -l /etc/network" and "ls -l /etc/network/run/".

I've a suspicion though that something was funny with the stick and or/partitioning and that after following the ideas in the other thread this issue will be gone.

myself unable to reproduce it since i changed my methods for installing on a stick so i thank you all for helping and stop
wandering about around this ... network prob

must mention here the extlinux way now works perfectly to get a live stick with several partitions, i've been completing description in the other topic

thanks to all for help

Jump to: