View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
apogarteOffline
15 Post subject: [solved] live-stick : extlinux could not find kernel image  PostPosted: 21.07.2011, 19:56

hi !

i've read the "booting aptosid" (http://aptosid.com/index.php?module=news&func=display&sid=30) with great interrest and experimented the extlinux part,like this :

First, formated my 4 G key as follow :
1st partition as ext2 1,6G
2nd partition as ext2, remainder of space (2G more or less)

using gparted, adding the boot flag to 1st partition

then, following the "extlinux" install topic on blog post "booting aptosid" :

mounted the aptosid iso (2011-02 xfce) in a loop device :
      Quote:

#mount -o loop aptosid.iso loupe

(loupe is a directory)

copy all on root directory of part N°1 of the key
      Quote:

# cd loupe
# cp -r * /media/stick

copied syslinux.cfg to extlinux.conf
      Quote:

#cp /media/stick/boot/isolinux/syslinux.cfg /media/stick/boot/isolinux/extlinux.conf

installed extlinux on key :
      Quote:

#extlinux -i /media/stick/boot/isolinux

#boot/isolinux is device /dev/sdb1

installed mbr :
      Quote:

#install-mbr /dev/sdb

(sdb is my stick) (i had to apt-get install mbr)

(#install-mbr /dev/sdb gave me no answer nor warning or confirmation)

note : is install-mbr necessary ? the key was bootable since flag was written while formating ?

then, editing extlinux.conf to add persist and langage

resulting in : extlinux.conf (modified) :
      Quote:

ui gfxboot bootlogo

label aptosid_686_(2.6.39-3.slh.1-aptosid-686)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz0.686
append initrd=/boot/initrd0.686 boot=fll lang=fr persist

label Boot_from_Hard_Disk
localboot 0x80

label Memory_test_(memtest86+)
kernel /boot/memtest

result was desapointing : at boot time, i had this display :

Quote:

MBR

Extlinux 3.63 Debian-2008-07-15 EBIOS Copyright (c) 1994-2008 H. Peter ANVIN

Uknown keyword in configuration file.
Could not find kernel image : linux
boot:_

so i suppose the path to linux is'nt described well but where ?

is it necessary to tell extlinux where to look ?

thanks for suggestions,

apoG

Last edited by apogarte on 16.08.2011, 09:54; edited 2 times in total

Reply with quote Back to top
bfreeOffline
Post subject: RE: aptosid live-stick : extlinux could not find kernel imag  PostPosted: 21.07.2011, 23:30
Team Member

I think that means that it didn't manage to load your extlinux.conf at all. Are you sure the commands you showed here are what you ran? It looks like either you didn't tell extlinux to install to /media/stick/boot/isolinux or you didn't name the extlinux.conf file correctly?

Assuming it's not solved I'll see if I can find some time to run through it again, maybe tomorrow, to double check things (this and the persist networking issues you ran into).

apogarteOffline
Post subject: RE: aptosid live-stick : extlinux could not find kernel imag  PostPosted: 22.07.2011, 12:53

hi

just a doubt about this :

(#install-mbr /dev/sdb gave me no answer nor warning or confirmation)

don't know if significant

also i had a doubt about where to put extlinux files are you positive this must be in an isolinux folder ?

apoG
Idea :
here the mbr listed with install-mbr --list :

root@portab:/home/tenek# install-mbr --list /dev/sdb
Version: 2
Compatible: 2
Y2K-Fix: Disabled
Drive: 0x80
Default: D
Timeout: 18/18 seconds
Enabled: F A
Interrupt: Shift Key

bfreeOffline
Post subject: RE: aptosid live-stick : extlinux could not find kernel imag  PostPosted: 22.07.2011, 13:26
Team Member

install-mbr giving no response is normal, unless it has an error it will say nothing.

Yes, the extlinux.conf file should be in the /boot/isolinux directory which contains all the rest of the relevant files (such as the gfxboot theme), when you tell extlinux to install to /your/stick/boot/isolinux (with your stick mounted on /your/stick) you are telling it to install itself in the /boot/isolinux directory and therefore look there for the extlinux.conf file.

I just repartitioned my 4G stick to be essentially the same as your setup and ran through the process again (basically as you described just with different mount-points). No problems encountered, it booted up perfectly, persist worked, networking worked. I can't reproduce your problem.

Assuming there is nothing you care about on the stick, it might be worth doing something like:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdX bs=1M count=128

To forcefully wipe your sticks mbr, partition table and any chance of anything remaining from your first partition. Then go through the instructions again (perhaps making a copy of the console you do it in to show here if it fails).

apogarteOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: aptosid live-stick : extlinux could not find kernel  PostPosted: 22.07.2011, 13:29

bfree wrote:

Assuming there is nothing you care about on the stick, it might be worth doing something like:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdX bs=1M count=128

To forcefully wipe your sticks mbr, partition table and any chance of anything remaining from your first partition. Then go through the instructions again (perhaps making a copy of the console you do it in to show here if it fails).

ok i'll do that thanks for your help

apoG

apogarteOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: aptosid live-stick : extlinux could not find ker  PostPosted: 22.07.2011, 21:08

well exactly same result, tried again with two other keys, i assume i do something wrong or there is trouble with my extlinux or my mbr executables

here is a screen of console :

Quote:

root@ppp:/home/iamme#
root@ppp:/home/iamme# dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdb bs=1M count=128
128+0 records in
128+0 records out
134217728 bytes (134 MB) copied, 15,856 s, 8,5 MB/s
root@ppp:/home/iamme# # here i use gparted to recreate a partition table (dos), a ext2 root partition, a ext2 stock partition, and making 1st partition bootable
root@ppp:/home/iamme# mount -o loop Téléchargements/isos/aptosid.iso Téléchargements/isos/loupe
root@ppp:/home/iamme# cp -r Téléchargements/isos/loupe/* /media/mroot
root@ppp:/home/iamme# umount Téléchargements/isos/loupe
root@ppp:/home/iamme# cd /media/mroot
root@ppp:/media/mroot# ll
total 76
drwxr-xr-x 6 root root 4096 2011-07-22 15:39 ./
drwxr-xr-x 6 root root 4096 2011-07-22 15:36 ../
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2011-07-22 15:37 aptosid/
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 52 2011-07-22 15:39 autorun.inf
drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 4096 2011-07-22 15:39 boot/
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 9662 2011-07-22 15:39 cdrom.ico
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 714 2011-07-22 15:39 index.html
drwx------ 2 root root 16384 2011-07-22 15:33 lost+found/
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 17725 2011-07-22 15:39 md5sums
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2011-07-22 15:39 release/
root@ppp:/media/mroot# cd boot/isolinux/
root@ppp:/media/mroot/boot/isolinux# cp isolinux.cfg extlinux.conf
root@ppp:/media/mroot/boot/isolinux# extlinux -i /media/mroot/boot/isolinux
/media/mroot/boot/isolinux is device /dev/sdb1
root@ppp:/media/mroot/boot/isolinux# install-mbr /dev/sdb
root@ppp:/media/mroot/boot/isolinux#

this gives me same error as before

apoG

bfreeOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: aptosid live-stick : extlinux could not find ker  PostPosted: 26.07.2011, 13:21
Team Member

Bah, thought I'd already replied here about this, but I think the problem is that your extlinux is too old (3.63).

I'm not 100% sure what version is required but will guess that any 4.0 or higher version should be ok.

It might work with the old extlinux if you remove the line "ui gfxboot bootlogo" from the extlinux.conf (though without the graphical bootloader).

slhOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: aptosid live-stick : extlinux could not find ker  PostPosted: 26.07.2011, 13:50

>= 4.03 (>=4.02+dfsg-3+c1.aptosid.1 respectively) mandatory, gfxboot.c32 was broken in previous versions.

bfreeOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: aptosid live-stick : extlinux could not find ker  PostPosted: 26.07.2011, 13:56
Team Member

Ok then for prior to 4.03 you might just get away with just removing the "ui gfxboot bootlogo".

You will want to add to your command line options though, specifically adding "quiet" and "fromhd" (if you set persist fromhd is implied). The gfxboot would normally add quiet (unless you select "No Quiet" from the F5 menu) and fromhd when it actually comes from a hd (unless you alter that with the F3 menu).

bfreeOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: aptosid live-stick : extlinux could not find ker  PostPosted: 26.07.2011, 14:09
Team Member

Hmmm, but booting using extlinux (or isolinux or syslinux) without the gfxboot menu is probably really horrible (like needing to type in the kernel names, hit tab perhaps for a clue). Probably easier to get it working with grub2 somehow.

apogarteOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: aptosid live-stick : extlinux could not find  PostPosted: 26.07.2011, 21:24

bfree wrote:
Hmmm, but booting using extlinux (or isolinux or syslinux) without the gfxboot menu is probably really horrible (like needing to type in the kernel names, hit tab perhaps for a clue). Probably easier to get it working with grub2 somehow.

thanks slh and bfree for helping i'll put that on a concrete trial in the next days and report result here .

bfree could you give more precisions about the way to configure a key with grub ? is your blog entry "booting aptosid" supposed to be completed ?

thanks again

apoG

bfreeOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: aptosid live-stick : extlinux could not find  PostPosted: 26.07.2011, 22:51
Team Member

apogarte wrote:
bfree could you give more precisions about the way to configure a key with grub ? is your blog entry "booting aptosid" supposed to be completed ?

Nope, I'm not planning to attempt to write up a complete how-to for making a bootable usb key with grub ... the easy way to do that is with aptosid's own usb installer.

The blog post is as complete as it is going to be, though I did of course realise I forgot another option "kexec" Wink

apogarteOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: aptosid live-stick : extlinux could not find  PostPosted: 05.08.2011, 19:39

bfree wrote:

well after doing a new install of aptosid on a hd i used the same procedure as above descripted to install on an ext2 sick with extlinux and things works well, nothing horrible even the aptosid boot menu is there !

(so that was because of too old versions of extlinux)

thanks to all for helping,

apoG

Jump to: