View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
finottiOffline
Post subject: partinioning SSD to share with W7  PostPosted: 02.08.2011, 12:02

Dear all,

A friend asked me to partition his new SSD so that he can move his Windows 7 to it and install Linux. He told me that he looked around and that W7 needs a first partition at a disk of at least 100MB for booting (and then partitions for the other OSs and data). Furthermore, this partition needs to be the only "active" partition on the the disk.

But how does one make a partition "active" with aptosid/Linux's tools? Any ideas on the file system for this first partition? (NTFS?)

Also any suggestions on what tools I should use to partition this SSD. I was thinking of using gdisk for GPT, but it seems that it might not work on Windows 7... So any recommendations so that the partitioning does not have alignment problems?

Anyone other suggestions on how I can do this?

Thanks,

Luis

Reply with quote Back to top
detaosOffline
Post subject: RE: partinioning SSD to share with W7  PostPosted: 02.08.2011, 13:54
Team Member

install windows first, using only 50% of the disk. then install linux afterwards in the remaining 50% of the disk. There's little reason to pre-format a disk these days.

feel free to adjust those percentages, keeping in mind that windows and its associated programs are "fat" compared to linux (google: "static vs. shared libraries" to learn why).

enjoy.

slhOffline
Post subject: RE: partinioning SSD to share with W7  PostPosted: 02.08.2011, 14:06

active := boot flag, which is something you can set with any partition program you like, starting from MSDOS fdisk, util-linux' fdisk, gparted, et al.

Windows (>= vista sp1) can only boot from GPT, if you boot it through UEFI mode of you mainboard; windows doesn't allow booting from GPT media in BIOS mode.

finottiOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: partinioning SSD to share with W7  PostPosted: 02.08.2011, 14:08

detaos wrote:
install windows first, using only 50% of the disk. [snip]

Thanks for the reply!

The problem is that he doesn't want to install W7, but move his older installation to it. So he wants to have the partitions ready...

Thanks,

Luis

finottiOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: partinioning SSD to share with W7  PostPosted: 02.08.2011, 14:14

slh wrote:
active := boot flag, which is something you can set with any partition program you like, starting from MSDOS fdisk, util-linux' fdisk, gparted, et al.

Ah! I thought that this could be the case. Thanks!

slh wrote:

Windows (>= vista sp1) can only boot from GPT, if you boot it through UEFI mode of you mainboard; windows doesn't allow booting from GPT media in BIOS mode.

I heard of that, and since I am not sure if his motherboard supports it, I decided to go without GPT.

Is "fdisk -H 224 -S 56 /dev/sdX" the recommended method for proper alignment?

Thanks,

Luis

Jump to: