View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
DonKultOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 09.08.2011, 09:19
Team Member

daniel_ro wrote:
How in the world can I install flash? Downloaded the .deb file, tried above links with update flashplugin then remove non-free and install plugin-gnash. Still no videos on youtube. Anyone care to help, please?

Revert ALL your tries. The third-party packages or even the "official" adobe packages can causing a lot of problems.

Then you have two choices (so far):
- gnash is free, it might not work for all pages, but for most it should, including youtube.
try (# as root, $ as user):
      Code:
# apt-get update
# apt-get install mozilla-plugin-gnash
$ rm -rf ~/.gnash

The last one is needed sometimes between major gnash version upgrades as gnash is not yet stable and doesn't work with data of older version. That youtube doesn't work is a common symptom of this.

- flashplugin-non-free is (suprise suprise) non-free, it should work on all pages, but adobe can be very slow at fixing security bugs and you have to ensure for yourself that these are installed.
      Code:
# edit your /etc/apt/sources.list.d/debian.list to include contrib and non-free
# apt-get update
# apt-get install flashplugin-non-free
# update-flashplugin-nonfree --install

The last command needs to be executed with each new version of the flashplugin released by adobe (not needed directly after the install as the package will run it automatically on install). The flashplugin-non-free package is NOT updated to reflect all these releases!

You can install both and switch between the implementation with
      Code:
update-alternatives --config flash-mozilla.so
btw.
Remember that by default flashplugin-non-free will be preferred if installed and that you have to restart your browser to let the setting take effect.

Another option is to use a HTML5 video-tag supporting browsers like recent iceweasel versions and use the HTML5-version some websites provide to watch videos. Youtube for example provides such a version.

Reply with quote Back to top
daniel_roOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 09.08.2011, 11:29

wow, thanks for the help.

that was quick Smile

I tried the gnash again and seems to work now, but I would have preferd the last method with all the security issues... I dont really like flash, but sometimes it is needed.

Thanks guys!

deachOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 12.08.2011, 18:00

My last install it was flash that held up the whole thing. Couldn't get non-free installed for some reason (some kind of mismatch) and gnash simply wouldn't work for what I needed it for. Finally got it working right this morning.

Jump to: