View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
effoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 10.08.2011, 12:12

Started playing with KUbuntu in 2006. In my opinion KDE was to modified there. Also, few devs were reachable in the forums. I wanted something more vanilla, based on Debian with KDE as main DE. Debian was an alternative, but I found sidux and my mind came to rest.

Reply with quote Back to top
VelvetElvisOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 11.08.2011, 03:17

Started with Peanut and then moved to Slackware. I got pissed when slackware ditched gnome and went to the first release of Ubuntu. I got pissed with Ubuntu because everything was broken, there was no support for universe, and they shipped a broken driver for the savage chipset in their next release. I then went to debian proper and have used some mix of stable, testing and side on various machines, servers and workstations.

I just built a new PC and hope that aptosid is going to prove to be a shortcut to getting a sid box up and running without having to install testing and upgrade. I'll see in an couple hours I guess.

xetaprimeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 11.08.2011, 09:33

awww remember Peanut? What is so great about all of this is that there were/are other choices. Countless cds/dvds but what a ride, yes? These are experiences a stubborn MS user will never know.

detaosOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 12.08.2011, 06:40
Team Member

windoze -> ubuntu -> $distro_hopping -> sidux + cleary + art team -> love -> aptosid -> true happiness Smile

(we (still and always will) love you cleary!)

sourceionOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 12.08.2011, 10:24

SuSE Linux 7.0
(Singularity: M$ Windows)
Ubuntu 8.04
Ubuntu 9.10
Ubuntu 10.10 <-- not good (enough) anymore
Arch Linux
Fedora
AntiX
aptosid

deachOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 12.08.2011, 17:47

Windows>Kubuntu>dirsto hop> sidux> aptosid. I still have a couple old (which all my stuff is old but some ancient) stuff running a slackware build.

LatOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 14.08.2011, 17:34

DOS 3.0 - 5.0 MS-DOS and IBM-DOS -> Windows ME -> Windows XP -> knoppix -> kanotix, also got a handed down Win95, then a Win98, and a Sun5 -> sidux -> aptosid, also Win7 -> aptosid (for ARM cpu) mobile edition?

npfpOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 28.12.2011, 13:31

I was a "computer-late-starter", begun in year 2000 with an old dusted ATARI 1024ST (donated by a friend who used it during his law-studies for all homework to do...), shortly after upgraded to a 1024STE for my music-recording-experiences (Steinberg Cubase 2.0 / 3.1). Withe the arrival of my women-for-life I was introduced in Windows 98SE, found it reliable but much less sexier than AtariTOS. I owned a beaten-up AMD-K6 200 Mhz which my sister would have thrown away and used it mainly or music-editing purposes (CoolEdit). My main "OS" still remained AtariTOS, now through emulation (STEEM).Then something broke on the mainboard (controller), the number of bluescreens increased considerably and I bought my first new computer, Acer Extensa 2902 LMI Laptop in 2004 with Windows XP. I experimentated a lot, learned how to install Operating Systems and how to partition a harddisk. My Linux-Start was a Mandrake 9.0 CD I bought and which served my some time as partition-tool. The OS itself didn't attract me since the decovery of Debian-style package-management with Kanotix in September 2004. It was by the time the frst OS to recognize every hardware of my Acer-Laptop (except the WiFi-Hardware-switch) and stayed on the machine in double-boot with XP for some months. Since then, I adapted a distro-hopping manner, trying out lots of stuff, attracted especially by MEPIS/antiX, PCLOS and Puppy. My Windows-using-time ended in 2009, when I changed to Linux Mint 8 (based on Ubuntu 9.10). Since then lots of people in my entourage felt victim of an Linux-installation by my little self. I opted real-Debian not to long ago, and nowerdays run aptosid on my HP 625 and Asus Eee-7014G .

RoEnOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 28.12.2011, 15:33
Team Member

Commodore Basic V2 --> Win3.11 --> Win95 --> Suse 6.5 --> Win2000 --> WinXP --> Kanotix --> distro-hopping --> Kanotix --> !!!sidux/aptosid!!!

zbreakerOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 28.12.2011, 21:16

Windows98 - WindowsXP - Ubuntu - Mepis - lots of distro hopping - Debian - Kanotix - Slackware(still) - sidux - aptosid!

clubexOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 28.12.2011, 22:54

Acorn System 1 > Acorn Atom > Triumph Adler Alphtronic PC > ? > Atari ST > Atari STE > Atari Falcon > SUSE 6.4 to SUSE 9 > Kanotix > sidux > aptosid

? = a box with MSDOS which I can't remember the name of.

I used MS 3.1 and a Mac at work. The former finished me with Windows for life.

Edit: re-reading this it appears when I find something that works for me that I stick with that producer.

spockOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 29.12.2011, 04:47

ZX80 --> ZX81 --> BBC Micro --> Yamaha Cx5M --> Atari 520ST --> [...] --> Linux Idea

I discovered Linux in 2000 at college, and ran tomsrtbt Linux-on-a-floppy on the Windoze machines there. Cool Embarrassingly Embarassed my first 'real' distro was Caldera (by none other than SCO! Twisted Evil) but after a few days I abandoned that icky monstrosity and found Debian Very Happy Since then the love affair has blossomed, adding Debian-based AGNULA/DeMuDi and 64Studio for my music computer. When they changed into an Ubuntu variant, I happily found sidux and then aptosid, the most "stable" OS I've used since BBC Basic Wink

P.S. I finally flipped my avatar round the 'correct' way Smile

sourceionOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 29.12.2011, 11:21

|> Win95 (1996) & C64
-> Win98SE (1999)
-> WinXP (2002) & SuSE Linux 7.1 (2003; free supportless version)
-> WinVista (2 months)
-> Ubuntu 8.04 (2008; 10.04 seemed to be the beginning of bad times, so) -> Arch -> Crunchbang
-> aptosid (in 07/2010; notebook primary) & GRML (notebook backup distro).

Jump to: