View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
IgnorantGuruOffline
Post subject: [solved] !dist-upgrade - 2011.01 vs 2011.02  PostPosted: 12.08.2011, 14:31

I recently installed Aptosid on a new laptop, which I'll provide a review on shortly - in general things ran great. But looking at the running processes on the new system, it's obvious that it's not the same system that I'm running on my other machine, originally installed with the 2011.01 image. There are a bunch of udev-related processes and of course no hal on the new system.

So now I'm thinking that I should reinstall my other system to bring it up to date, but I thought that's what the dist-upgrades are supposed to do. For me the idea of rolling release is that I don't have to keep installing from scratch.

I'm sure there's a way to remove hal and install the udev stuff, but I don't have a clear understanding of it all and I doubt I would wind up with a system configured exactly as 2011.02 is. At the same time, I'm sure it's a mess for the Aptosid maintainers to try to update systems from hal to udev, as well as the other changes. And beyond udev, I also noticed other differences in the systems.

It's worth noting that even though packages are rolling and kept up to date, the system I installed with 2011.01 vs 2011.02 are not the same today at all, even though they're both dist-upgraded to current.

At the top of the manual it states:
      Quote:
This means that re-installing yet another release every 6+ months on your PC is unnecessary with aptosid, as the daily, weekly or monthly dist-upgrade brings everything up-to-date.

Which doesn't seem to be accurate. Anyway just wondering anyone's thoughts on this and the best way to manage it. The newer packages of Aptosid are great, but the rolling release mechanism doesn't seem to remove the need to install from scratch periodically, or else do major manual renovations. Thanks for any input.

Last edited by IgnorantGuru on 13.08.2011, 20:19; edited 1 time in total

Reply with quote Back to top
finottiOffline
Post subject: RE: !dist-upgrade - 2011.01 vs 2011.02  PostPosted: 12.08.2011, 14:37

I could be wrong, but I think rolling releases are supposed to be (dist-)upgraded OFTEN, otherwise you run into problems like yours...

Luis

IgnorantGuruOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: !dist-upgrade - 2011.01 vs 2011.02  PostPosted: 12.08.2011, 14:43

finotti wrote:
I could be wrong, but I think rolling releases are supposed to be (dist-)upgraded OFTEN, otherwise you run into problems like yours...

I would say I upgrade at least every 2-3 weeks, which is within their specs.

bfreeOffline
Post subject: RE: !dist-upgrade - 2011.01 vs 2011.02  PostPosted: 12.08.2011, 14:46
Team Member

You should keep an eye on the "Hints for Upgraders" section of the release notes that come with each new release. In this case it would tell you how to get rid of hal and a few other changes which might not have got applied automagically if you are using kde.

hubiOffline
Post subject: RE: !dist-upgrade - 2011.01 vs 2011.02  PostPosted: 12.08.2011, 14:58

There is usually no need to reinstall. Debian strives to provide upgrade paths over a long time (from stable release to stable release). So upgrading from 2011-01 should not be a problem, SID as of today seems to be in great shape (no dependency issues here) ... that can change every six hours in SID though, so keep an eye on apt's output.

I have two laptops here which were installed in 2008 (still sidux then), both are running uptodate aptosid. On one the longest period having not done dist-upgrades was nine months. No issue at all as I remeber - apart from pulling in 1GB of new packages Wink

All the best for the upgrade
hubi

DeepDayzeOffline
Post subject: RE: !dist-upgrade - 2011.01 vs 2011.02  PostPosted: 12.08.2011, 19:14

in some cases you might need to do manual fixes after a d-u if you haven't dist-upgraded in a really long time.

IgnorantGuruOffline
Post subject: RE: !dist-upgrade - 2011.01 vs 2011.02  PostPosted: 13.08.2011, 20:19

Thanks for the ideas. In general I think the Aptosid team does a great job with the rolling release - I've had very few issues. I guess with any rolling release there is some configuration drift - I know there was with Arch. So manual intervention is occasionally required. I now see in the 2011.02 release notes there was a note about hal, and I just removed it with no apparent ill effects. I can't say my system is running poorly, so I guess I will leave it for now. I was actually waiting until the Aptosid LXDE version was ready, then I may reinstall (assuming that's still in the works?)

arwaOffline
Post subject: RE: !dist-upgrade - 2011.01 vs 2011.02  PostPosted: 13.08.2011, 21:40

You could do a
      Code:
dpkg --get-selections|sort>file.txt
on both systems and compare the installed packages.

slamOffline
Post subject: RE: !dist-upgrade - 2011.01 vs 2011.02  PostPosted: 14.08.2011, 12:06
Team Member

Or use instead:
      Code:
dpkg -l|awk '/^ii/{ print $2 }'|grep -v -e ^lib -e -dev -e linux-image -e linux-headers >apps_installed.txt

and do a diff of the 2 files.
Greetings,
Chris

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
Jump to: