View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
statmonkeyOffline
Post subject: usb drives no long automount in xfce  PostPosted: 15.08.2011, 17:11

Kernel: Linux 3.0-1.slh 6-aptosid686
DE XFCE
slim
Sorry if this is long but want to try and include all that might be relevant. Combined with it is late here and I have been screwing with this on and off since about 7AM sorry if I babble.

I can mount from the command line so this is not a world beater but frustrating. I don't mount USB's very often so not sure when it started. I have read the threads on the KDE issues but they don't seem to apply (maybe I am wrong). I also read the arch forums, debian bug reports and thunar forums but it seems to be a me issue since I can only find this problem with KDE no one but me in XFCE.

As a standard user thunar shows the drive but attempting to mount it gives me the ever so helpful "not authorized". Volman is installed and the preferences are set correctly. I wanted to test so installed PCmanfm and got the same result.

Running thunar as root does not show the drive at all and gives me the following error:
(thunar:4142): GVFS-RemoteVolumeMonitor-WARNING **: cannot connect to the session bus: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
thunar: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6: undefined symbol: _ZNSt14error_categoryD2Ev, version GLIBCXX_3.4.15

I am still researching this error.

Similarly gksudo thunar gives me:(gksudo:4144): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_str_has_prefix: assertion `str != NULL' failed

This seems to indicate from what I have read that some dependency is missing.

Probably unrelated but maybe it is a hint.

I do know that prior to the latest dist-upgrade I was able to un/mount from thunar but I can't specifically tie it to the upgrade. gvfs is installed but hal is not.
If I understand what slim is doing is it is calling /usr/bin/X11/X. There is no .xinitrc in my home or XDG folders. Not sure what happened, I keep pretty extensive notes on changes I make to my system and see nothing that should have affected this. I also kept gdm on the system just in case but this did work after I moved over to slim so I don't believe it is a slim only issue.

Possibly related and equally an issue is that slim does not always shut down at init 3. I have to be very careful and try to be. I have solved this by running a command I saw on here (Devil, I think) update-rc.d slim disable 2 3 4 but if I reboot and later go to init 3. Slim will not shut down and I can't get back to x. I find I have to reboot into x run the update-rc.d slim disable 2 3 4 command and then exit to init 3.

I am not looking to solve all these issues at once (unless you can Smile) but really just would like to be able to mount and unmount from thunar.

On the plus side I have been running Aptosid for about a month and a half now and have found it to be the most well thought out and put together distro I have ever encountered. Also among the most user friendly. As a non-tech guy who started in Linux with Mandrake 5.something (I think it was). Was most recently trapped in the Ubuntu cycle but Unity and the decision that they knew best what would be on my machine got to be too much. Attempted Arch but found it like Gentoo a pain to set up just to be a pain rather than have a goal in mind. I think that should be a compliment to someone or at least I hope. Anyway other than this issue I have had no real problems and very impressed. Again, sorry about the novel but I don't want to waste anyone's time and appreciate any help in advance.

Reply with quote Back to top
CarnophageOffline
Post subject: RE: usb drives no long automount in xfce  PostPosted: 15.08.2011, 18:43

Did You modify slim config to start the policykit session in active mode?
You can check it by using:
      Code:
ck-list-sessions

I use the following configuration:
      Code:
login_cmd           exec ck-launch-session /bin/bash -login /etc/X11/Xsession startxfce4

statmonkeyOffline
Post subject: RE: usb drives no long automount in xfce  PostPosted: 15.08.2011, 19:09

Carnophage wrote:
Did You modify slim config to start the policykit session in active mode?
You can check it by using:
      Code:
ck-list-sessions

I use the following configuration:
      Code:
login_cmd           exec ck-launch-session /bin/bash -login /etc/X11/Xsession startxfce4
Yes. I have the same line in my slim.config. I even rewrote the config from the ground up thinking maybe I copied something wrong but still the same results. Also checked my orig. just now and it had it set up the same way. Thanks but no luck. Could there be something in the policy-kit itself?

statmonkeyOffline
Post subject: RE: usb drives no long automount in xfce  PostPosted: 16.08.2011, 14:06

I reconfigured the system to run gdm

Code:
 dpkg-reconfigure slim
and of course no problem mounting the drives or with auto mount. I assume that somewhere in my slim.conf I have done something to screw up the automount or authorizations. Should anyone have a hint it would be appreciated. I know it is not getting a lot of love right now but I much prefer slim.

slhAdministrator
Post subject: RE: usb drives no long automount in xfce  PostPosted: 16.08.2011, 14:32

slim is basically unmaintained, therefore we suggest not using it - although we recognize that gdm3 is a pretty heavy display manager for XFCE (apparently XFCE upstream seems to prefer lightdm, if you want to test it).

statmonkeyOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: usb drives no long automount in xfce  PostPosted: 16.08.2011, 18:48

slh wrote:
slim is basically unmaintained, therefore we suggest not using it - although we recognize that gdm3 is a pretty heavy display manager for XFCE (apparently XFCE upstream seems to prefer lightdm, if you want to test it).

Thanks for that but looking at lightdm it looks as if it has some serious bug issues. From what I have been reading it seems as if there is a problem with slim and the latest console-kit and indeed slim is not being maintained. Bummer, I really do like many things about it. How brutal would it be to just do without a DM. Couldn't I just boot to a terminal and log into XFCE from there?

slhAdministrator
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: usb drives no long automount in xfce  PostPosted: 16.08.2011, 19:48

That should work, but as you noticed from slim not behaving as it is supposed to, a display manager does a whole lot more than just calling startx. From both a convenience and long term maintenance point of view, I'd stick to using a (maintained) display manager.

DeepDayzeOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: usb drives no long automount in xfce  PostPosted: 17.08.2011, 00:13

would startx suffice to go straight to the desktop for the time being?

muchan
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: usb drives no long automount in xfce  PostPosted: 17.08.2011, 07:56

How about xdm?

statmonkeyOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: usb drives no long automount in xfce  PostPosted: 17.08.2011, 08:54

Reverse order:

xdm supposedly has the same issues with console kit as slim does. Really a shame slim isn't maintained it really does fit my needs if it worked. Ha!
startx and going straight to the desktop is what I am using for the time being but as slh points out there are good reasons for having a DM beyond the x call.
As I got into this more and more I found that I was getting some other odd errors when using slim. e.g. When I used slim I got some apache2 errors about the FQDN and a dns failure and the glib errors when using sux noted earlier (I typo'd that I had used gksudo in my original post - old habits die hard Smile) I don't get these errors when I use GDM3 so have to think it is something slim is doing or wanting to do that I don't understand. The lack of slim documentation doesn't help either as I am fairly stupid and need the help.

Later today I will try LightDM but all I have read it doesn't look promising. Also it doesn't seem that light since it is qt and web policy kit. Maybe seeing it in action will change my mind. Really thought I could live with slim and this issue but the crazy apache2 error and the glib warning make me wonder what else isn't running properly. I get pretty anal about warnings and errors. Appreciate the tips and welcome any other suggestions.

slamOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: usb drives no long automount in xfce  PostPosted: 17.08.2011, 09:45
Team Member

Another good option is LXDM, a very lite gtk-based DM. It will enter Debian sid shortly, and we will use it for the planned Aptosid-LXDE release. Watch this bug report to stay tuned. LXDM is properly maintained and developed by the LXDE team, so you can count on bug fixes - it's future is looking fine.
Greetings,
Chris

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
statmonkeyOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: usb drives no long automount in xfce  PostPosted: 17.08.2011, 15:06

That sounds good, thank you for the info.

I need to correct something:

Kudo's to slh.

I did install LightDM and it works quite well. There do not seem to be any issues at all. I bounce back and forth between openbox and XFCE and it has no problem with that either. I will watch LXDM and watch the bug report but it certainly does seem as if they have been close to getting it into debian since about 2009.

Thanks to everyone who offered something it is appreciated. While my original issue is not resolved I guess we can call this solved unless a someone decides to fix the slim console-kit issues I will have to use LightDM or LXDM.

CarnophageOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: usb drives no long automount in xfce  PostPosted: 17.08.2011, 18:09

@slam:
Would You be so kind, to instruct how to build an lxdm deb package using Your work from http://lab.aptosid.com/svn/lxde/lxdm/?

DeepDayzeOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: usb drives no long automount in xfce  PostPosted: 17.08.2011, 22:19

statmonkey wrote:
That sounds good, thank you for the info.

I need to correct something:

Kudo's to slh.

I did install LightDM and it works quite well. There do not seem to be any issues at all. I bounce back and forth between openbox and XFCE and it has no problem with that either. I will watch LXDM and watch the bug report but it certainly does seem as if they have been close to getting it into debian since about 2009.

Thanks to everyone who offered something it is appreciated. While my original issue is not resolved I guess we can call this solved unless a someone decides to fix the slim console-kit issues I will have to use LightDM or LXDM.

Might as well stay with LightDM or LXDM as Slim's no longer maintained, unless you can fix the bugs yourself.

If LightDM is working well for you, why not just stick with it and then your problem is solved Smile

statmonkeyOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: usb drives no long automount in xfce  PostPosted: 18.08.2011, 12:13

Carnophage wrote:
@slam:
Would You be so kind, to instruct how to build an lxdm deb package using Your work from http://lab.aptosid.com/svn/lxde/lxdm/?

I would echo this request. I did try to build it but it seems to want all the LXDE joy to work.

DeepDayze LightDM has some serious issues, more than I want to deal with at the moment. It works ok (most of the time) from boot but if I exit to init 3 or log out of a session it pulls a Gerard Depardieu.

Interesting to me anyway. GDM3 is coming in 16mb lighter than Slim after a clean boot. I wonder why that would be?

Jump to: