View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
oddballOffline
Post subject: dist-upgrade WARNING if you are not in init 3  PostPosted: 23.09.2010, 09:34

Could be that I'm alone with this problem but I usually do apt-get dist-upgrade -d in x so I can use my box during downloading. Then I do Ctrl+Alt+F1 and start the real upgrade with apt-get dist-upgrade and just as I did here, I sometimes forget to do init 3.

So far I have been lucky and nothing have broke but it's a problem for me.

Would it be possible to have an aptosid version of apt-get dist-upgrade that checks if you are in init 3 and if not, give you a warning and ask if you want to go on or not?

As I have understood the d-u in init 3 is a special sid/aptosid thing and not necessary in stable Debian, and that this is very important for us using aptosid I think it would be right to have this feature if it's possible.

Reply with quote Back to top
myloOffline
Post subject: RE: dist-upgrade WARNING if you are not in init 3  PostPosted: 23.09.2010, 09:44

I think it is always recommended to d-u in init 3, as you do not know, whether X-related packages are to be updated. And that might kill X.
So the easiest way is getting used to do all of this in init 3 and not while working/doing other things.

Linux 3.1-6.slh.1-aptosid-amd64 x86_64[2010-03 Ἀπάτη (201012262151)]
Intel Core2 Duo E6550 @ Cache/Ram 4MB/4GB nVidia G72 7300 nouveau 2*250GB

gerdOffline
Post subject: RE: dist-upgrade WARNING if you are not in init 3  PostPosted: 23.09.2010, 10:11

Downloading is possible without any problems in X.
To change apt-get dist-upgrade to check if it is in init 3 is not possible, cos it is a aptosid specific "problem" and apt belongs to debian.
But if you forget to init 3 and X crashes it should be no problem (if you have nothing unsaved in the running session, such as open text editors). The main reason to do apt-get du in init 3 is that the console from where you are running the d-u do not belongs to x, so that if X crashes the update process don't crashes to.

muchan
Post subject: RE: dist-upgrade WARNING if you are not in init 3  PostPosted: 23.09.2010, 10:38

there is a command 'runlevel', which should show something like
      Code:

5 3

if you have just changed runlevel 5 to 3 by init 3 command.
If you forgot init 3, it would show
      Code:

N 5

the second number is your current runlevel.

So,
(1) you get habit of calling it... (well, same as getting habit of calling 'init 3'

(2) make a small script to check the second number of output and warn you.
(can be also check if you're root, and if not call 'su')
if both ok, proceed...

(eidt: I'm not good at shell scripting... now after effort, I came to this
      Code:

if [ "$(runlevel | cut -c3)" -ne "3" ]; then
  echo baa;
fi

but what devil wrote below meanwhile is true... Smile

(further edit. was not 'R 5' but 'N 5')

Last edited by muchan on 23.09.2010, 18:25; edited 2 times in total

devilOffline
Post subject: RE: dist-upgrade WARNING if you are not in init 3  PostPosted: 23.09.2010, 10:46

you might as well change to TTY by the command 'init 3' in your shell. that prevents you forgetting to switch there and is faster anyways.

greetz
devil

gerdOffline
Post subject: RE: dist-upgrade WARNING if you are not in init 3  PostPosted: 23.09.2010, 10:58

it would be also possible to make a script as alias for apt-get dist-upgrade.
scheme:
.bashrc (for root)
apt-get dist-upgrade -> script

script: init 3 ; /path_to_apt_get/apt-get dist-upgrade

no warranty, but this could work

muchan
Post subject: RE: dist-upgrade WARNING if you are not in init 3  PostPosted: 23.09.2010, 11:02

what is not good, at least for me, with this aproach of calling init 3 in script is,
if I call it in X termnal, all the application running in X is shutdown...

Sure, I should know it before calling the script, but then, (for me) it's more conscious
to call 'init 3' expricitely myself in the root terminal.

bluewaterOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 23.09.2010, 12:00
Team Member

who -r

will give the current runlevel

gerdOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 23.09.2010, 12:11

bluewater wrote:
who -r

will give the current runlevel

I think it's time for a fresh install here. w, who (with and without -r) in a console gives a empty answer, conky says that 0 user are active... but it's also cool. I'm invisible Smile

bluewaterOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 23.09.2010, 12:43
Team Member

gerd

uuuuuuuumm ,,, you run :
who -r
in a terminal, no idea what a system monitor has to do with running a command

eg

$ who -r
run-level 5 2010-09-23 16:36 last=S

Last edited by bluewater on 23.09.2010, 12:51; edited 1 time in total

gerdOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 23.09.2010, 12:48

bluewater wrote:
gerd

uuuuuuuumm ,,, you run :
who -r
in a terminal, no idea what a system monitor has to do with running a command

Even if i change with strg+alt+1 to TTY1 and log me in i get nothing if i type who or w. Same when i open a terminal-emulator in the running xfce-session.
(but it's no case for support or something. Probably i played a bit too much with the running processes)

bluewaterOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 23.09.2010, 12:51
Team Member

hrhr

edhunterOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 23.09.2010, 13:44

creating an alias to the apt-get dist-upgrade command would probably be the best way. create a script to check the run level and if the run level is correct do the upgrade otherwise inform the user

init 3 from with-in X means that you lose the current session and thats something i dont want

init 3 ; /path_to_apt_get/apt-get dist-upgrade is not really good as the dist-upgrade command will be executed independently of the exit code of the init 3 command so even if you fail to switch runlevels you will still do a dist-upgrade

init 3 && apt-get dist-upgrade is better as it will only execute a d-u if the runlevel switch is successful. (this will only work if you are already in a tty with alt+ctrl+F1 for example)

oddballOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: dist-upgrade WARNING if you are not in init 3  PostPosted: 23.09.2010, 16:14

devil wrote:
you might as well change to TTY by the command 'init 3' in your shell. that prevents you forgetting to switch there and is faster anyways.

greetz
devil
I don't agree that its faster because you have to be root twice, first su to do init 3 and then log in as root in tty,,,,,, ok if I do it with my method above with d-u -d in x then I'm already superuser and then it's faster, yes you are right as always devil Wink

A script will be some automation which put you a little out of controll. I would still like a little warning if I'm in the wrong runlevel, a warning can be followed or ignored and therefore you will still have full controll, but also a some security if you forget to do right.

edit:
      Quote:
creating an alias to the apt-get dist-upgrade command would probably be the best way. create a script to check the run level and if the run level is correct do the upgrade otherwise inform the user
thats a script that makes the warning, good, but couldn't it be inside a aptosid version of apt-get dist-upgrade?

edhunterOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: dist-upgrade WARNING if you are not in init 3  PostPosted: 23.09.2010, 16:21

@oddball: as you probably know we have no custom apt-get dist-upgrade version and I for one wouldn't want to force all our users to use this alias since most dont want/need it but I could help you with a script/alias if you want that

Jump to: