View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
dptOffline
Post subject: What is popping up on screen today- top right  PostPosted: 05.08.2011, 16:19

It is in German, unfortunately I have not learned yet.

Top right on screen.

What is it?

dpt

Reply with quote Back to top
slamOffline
Post subject: RE: What is popping up on screen today- top right  PostPosted: 05.08.2011, 16:59
Team Member

It's a temporary marketing activity for a new product/service from our server sponsor. As we are very happy with the 3 servers they provide for us, we agreed to help them pushing their new product for 2 months.
The banner might change language to English as soon as they upload the english version.
Greetings,
Chris

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
dptOffline
Post subject: RE: What is popping up on screen today- top right  PostPosted: 05.08.2011, 18:12

Thanks slam

dpt

dptOffline
Post subject: RE: What is popping up on screen today- top right  PostPosted: 17.08.2011, 18:00

It irritates a lot.
Like something forced down the throat.
Very agressive marketing. Far too agressive.

dpt

clubexOffline
Post subject: RE: What is popping up on screen today- top right  PostPosted: 17.08.2011, 20:22

dpt:

Use Iceweasel and adblock+? Then it's easy to block the image.

kb0haeOffline
Post subject: RE: What is popping up on screen today- top right  PostPosted: 18.08.2011, 11:31

Hmmm...Adblock must already be blocking here. I do not get any image, just a link. I noticed when the login link moved.

dptOffline
Post subject: RE: What is popping up on screen today- top right  PostPosted: 18.08.2011, 17:10

adblock+ already installed and enabled.
Just checked.
The 'problem' still exists.

Thanks
dpt

DonKultOffline
Post subject: RE: What is popping up on screen today- top right  PostPosted: 18.08.2011, 18:33
Team Member

I don't see why it's that much of a problem, but okay…
(it's quiet usual to have a banner in that position so i am kind of blind on that spot maybe)

Just right-click on the image and choose the last option to open a dialog where you can configure a block for that domain/image.

But remember, it's your sponsor who provides use with the much needed hardware to enable us in return to deliver aptosid as you (hopefully) like it. Without it's help some services would be harder to provide or even impossible, so as they help us we are more than happy to return something for their help: Even if it's only a small banner to promote their new cloud server offer.

Oh, and we are a mostly tech-savy community here, so promoting a server-provider isn't that unreasonable -- i could understand 'the problem' if it would be a banner for megaboobs.xxx… Wink
(just in case: no, you will never see a banner for such a site here!)

pumrelOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: What is popping up on screen today- top right  PostPosted: 18.08.2011, 23:06

DonKult wrote:
But remember, it's your sponsor who provides use with the much needed hardware to enable us in return to deliver aptosid as you (hopefully) like it. Without it's help some services would be harder to provide or even impossible.

Agreed. I don't find it intrusive at all. It's a bit flashy but it is in the context of the pages and I am glad for their service.

spacepenguinOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: What is popping up on screen today- top right  PostPosted: 29.08.2011, 14:21

I don't have a problem with some ad-banner in that place - as long as it is a still one. Or one that changes its content very very rarely and slowly. But I really hate animated banners that blink or otherwise optically SHOUT at me. Blocked. Sorry.

slamOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: What is popping up on screen today- top right  PostPosted: 29.08.2011, 14:27
Team Member

Everyone who is not target marketing group for our nice sponsor - please simply accept it. After all, Aptosid would not be possible without the servers Weptropia provides.

Everyone who decides on hosting solutions in one or another way: Please keep on posting, we will forward your comments to our sponsors to help them improving their marketing strategies.

Thanks for sticking to it!
Greetings,
Chris

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
spacepenguinOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: What is popping up on screen today- top right  PostPosted: 29.08.2011, 16:00

In case there will be a non-animated banner instead and it is announced here I will unblock the ad. Promised.

Maybe it could be a little less high as it now increases the header unnecessarily.

Jump to: