View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
lkrubnerOffline
Post subject: How do I reconnect to my network after hardware change?  PostPosted: 02.09.2011, 17:34

Our sysadmin just changed all the network routers in the office. Now my linux machine seems to have no network.

I was able to get my Mac working again by rebooting it, but I really don't want to reboot my aptosid machine. I've got too much work in process.

Is there a way I can get it to reconnect to the network?

I tried unplugging the ethernet cord, waiting 15 minutes, then plugging it in again. But this did not work.

Reply with quote Back to top
bfreeOffline
Post subject: RE: How do I reconnect to my network after hardware change?  PostPosted: 02.09.2011, 17:38
Team Member

Assuming you are connected using eth0 by dhcp (i.e. it gets it's address automatically) then I suspect all you need to do is run "ifdown eth0" and then "ifup eth0" to force it to try and ask for a new ip address. If it's more complicated then that then you can probably just run ceni again to setup the network again and bring it back to life.

lkrubnerOffline
Post subject: RE: How do I reconnect to my network after hardware change?  PostPosted: 02.09.2011, 17:59

weird. I tried "ifdown" and got "command not found" but then I tried ceni and it said I needed sudo priv, so I sudo and run ceni and then it runs ifdown and ifup and everything works.

Thanks.

bfreeOffline
Post subject: RE: How do I reconnect to my network after hardware change?  PostPosted: 02.09.2011, 18:08
Team Member

I guess I should have mentioned that you need to be root to run ifdown/ifup/ceni Wink

Jump to: