View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Luis_POffline
15 Post subject: (solved) Does init 3 run?  PostPosted: 02.09.2011, 19:30

Every week, on Friday or Saturday, I do DU on tty1 starting with init 3, apt-get update and so on. This time, while I was looking the download of the upgraded packages, I've pressed just for curiosity Crtl+Alt+F7 and I've be amazed seeing again my usual Xfce wallpaper, all the icons on it and verifying that these icons launched the programs as usual. This means, if my knowledge of Linux is not too low, that X server was no stopped.

Because there is a lot of posts here in this forum about changes in Xserver, I've cut the DU suddenly (Ctrl+C) hoping not to have broken anything (the DU process was yet downloading files).

The next step is ask for advice here.

Regards.

Luis_P.

Reply with quote Back to top
rick1053Offline
Post subject: Re: Does init 3 run?  PostPosted: 02.09.2011, 21:24

Luis_P wrote:
This means, if my knowledge of Linux is not too low, that X server was no stopped.

For you information: after reading your post I logged out entered control F1 and typed init 3. I checked and init 3 did sign out of xserver. I am running kde on 32 bit.
Don't know if that will help but sometimes some one who knows more will get curious and read a post if some one has replied previously. hope some one with more experience than me can answer your question more specifically.
regards,
Rick

Luis_POffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 02.09.2011, 21:30

More info:

Code:
root@myxbox:/# infobash -v3
Host/Kernel/OS  "myxbox" running Linux 3.0-3.slh.2-aptosid-amd64 x86_64 [ Debian GNU/Linux wheezy/sid ]
CPU Info        2x AMD Athlon II X2 250 1024 KB cache flags( sse3 ht nx lm svm ) clocked at [ 3000.000 MHz ]
Videocard       ATI RV730 PRO [Radeon HD 4650]  X.Org 1.10.4  [ 1280x1024@60.0hz ]
Network cards   Realtek RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+
Processes 135 | Uptime 2:22 | Memory 676.9/2012.6MB | HDD Maxtor 6Y080L0,ST3250318AS,0PLAT20 Size 414GB (14%used) | GLX Renderer Gallium 0.4 on AMD RV730 | GLX Version Yes | Client Shell | Infobash v3.37
root@myxbox:/#

bfreeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 02.09.2011, 22:37
Team Member

If you killed the d-u while it was downloading packages then you have nothing to worry from there at least.

Once you run "init 3" then gdm should be stopped an X should not be running. Did you change your display manager from gdm to something else?

If not maybe you can check that distro-defaults is installed and /etc/insserv/overrides/gdm exists and paste it's contents? If you are using gdm but init 3 isn't stopping it then you can always just run "service gdm stop" when you would usually run "init 3" and then "service gdm start" after you have done the dist-upgrade.

If you have changed from gdm then you need to stop whatever display manager you are using from running in run-level 3 if you want to use teh "init 3" method of stopping X so you can safely d-u.

arwaOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 03.09.2011, 08:43

I have this issue, too, on one PC with a fresh installation of aptosid 2011-01 (a few days before 2011-02 was released). init 3 does not stop kdm. I do this manually with "/etc/init.d/kdm stop".

The update-rc.d commands that are mentioned here, did not help:
http://aptosid.com/index.php?name=PNphp ... highlight=

Another PC with an older installation (coming from sidux) does not have this problem.

As it is not that important for me I did not investigate on it further.

Greets,
arwa

Luis_POffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 03.09.2011, 09:49

Quote:
If you have changed from gdm

Yes, some weeks ago I've changed to lightdm. Does this mean that I've been all this time doing DU with X server running? Shocked

I've looked into /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf without being able to find nothing interesting.

Neither service lightdm stop runs:

Code:
# service lightdm stop
/usr/sbin/service: line 123: exec: stop: not found
#

Any more advices?

Luis_P

bfreeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 03.09.2011, 14:34
Team Member

Yes, it means you have been running the d-u with the X server running since you switched to lightdm. Sounds like you got lucky though and it didn't manage to break things on you.

"/etc/init.d/lightdm stop" should work (though I've no idea why "service lightdm stop" didn't).

You could use update-rc.d to change the run-levels for lightdm to stop it from running in run-level 3 to make it more like a "normal" aptosid system.

Luis_POffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 03.09.2011, 15:34

The order /etc/init.d/lightdm stop cut the X server. Now I was able to do DU.

Otherwise in the file /var/log/boot I've found:
      Code:

Sat Sep  3 17:11:33 2011: Starting system message bus: dbus.
Sat Sep  3 17:11:33 2011: /etc/init.d/.depend.start: line 18: gdm:: command not found
Sat Sep  3 17:11:33 2011: /etc/init.d/.depend.start: line 19: lightdm:: command not found

I've been also reading man update-rc.d for changing the runlevels of lightdm, but I was not able to do it because my Linux skills are not enough. If you would kindly provide more precise instructions...

Thanks for your support, bfree.

Luis_P.

arwaOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 03.09.2011, 16:22

AFAIU it should work like
"update-rc.d lightdm start 05 5 . stop 01 0 1 2 3 4 6 ."
so lightdm is only startet in runlevel 5 and stopped in all others.

bfreeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 03.09.2011, 16:43
Team Member

I don't think arwa's command will work.

I think this should do it for you.
      Code:
update-rc.d lightdm disable 2 3 4

That will stop lightdm from running in levels 2 3 and 4 so it should only be keft running in level 5. You can confirm this by looking at the output of "ls /etc/rc*.d/*lightdm", the directories with files like K01lightdm are where it will be stopped and the ones with e.g. S03lightdm is where it will start (don't worry about the numbers, it's the K for Kill and S for Start that matter). Don't worry about warnings telling you that you are overwriting the defaults.

If anything goes wrong, you should be able to reverse the first command with:
      Code:
update-rc.d lightdm enable 2 3 4

or force it back to the defaults with:
      Code:
update-rc.d lightdm remove
update-rc.d lightdm defaults

arwaOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 03.09.2011, 17:26

Ah great, bfree, thanks. I did try the "remove" and "defaults" statement and now kdm behaves like it should again.

Luis_POffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 03.09.2011, 17:53

Thank you very much, it seems be fixed! Very Happy

A suggestion: would not be this in the manual? Users like me, who tries to follow carefully the manual, do not know that init 3 does not run on display manager not being kdm or gdm.

Thanks again.

Luis_P.

hubiOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 03.09.2011, 19:07

Luis_P wrote:
A suggestion: would not be this in the manual? Users like me, who tries to follow carefully the manual, do not know that init 3 does not run on display manager not being kdm or gdm.

Why should we write it twice?

http://manual.aptosid.com/en/sys-admin-gen-en.htm#init
http://manual.aptosid.com/es/sys-admin-gen-es.htm#init

hubi

Luis_POffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 03.09.2011, 20:02

hubi wrote:

Why should we write it twice?

Sorry, but is not twice. If you have read my third post, you can know that I've be doing DU into X server despite the previous order init 3. As bfree said, I've been lucky; my suggestion only wants to avoid problems to others users no so lucky. In the manual there is no mention about the fact that init 3 does not work in display managers others than kdm and gdm.

Regards.

Luis_P.

hubiOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 03.09.2011, 20:11

Luis_P wrote:
In the manual there is no mention about the fact that init 3 does not work in display managers others than kdm and gdm.

We don't ship any other display manager. If a user installs another display manager he/she is responsible to deal with it's behaviour, not the manual team.

hubi

Jump to: