View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
nmcbrideOffline
Post subject: [Solved] Logical Volumes not being seen by installer.  PostPosted: 05.04.2011, 20:18

Hello,

I wanted to give aptosid a spin after reading some good things about it as compared to my previous distro (archlinux). However I can't seem to get it installed.

My hard drive has 3 partitions:

sda1 boot
sda2 LVM
sda3 data

After I make my volume group and then 7 logical volumes, vgchange -ay to make them active, I start the installer and only see sda1 and sda3. I can't figure out how to install to the logical volumes? I also don't seem to have a .sidconfig. I am running the latest xfce release.

Any help would be awesome!

Thanks

Last edited by nmcbride on 05.04.2011, 21:45; edited 2 times in total

Reply with quote Back to top
muchan
Post subject: RE: Frustrated with the installer... (LVM)  PostPosted: 05.04.2011, 20:52

I don't know if this fits exactly what you want, but first to read:
http://manual.aptosid.com/en/part-lvm-en.htm#part-lvm

nmcbrideOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 05.04.2011, 21:00

I've come to that page a bunch searching for LVM related articles. It only tells you how to make LVM layouts and not how to get the installer to work with them.

Thanks though.

michaaa62Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 05.04.2011, 21:17

Please try those *scan command after activating to make your lvs known to the kernel
      Code:
pvscan
vgscan
lvscan
Then start the installer.

nmcbrideOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 05.04.2011, 21:22

I did a 'vgchange -ay' it said activating 7 logical volumes.
pvscan:
PV /dev/sda2 VG VolGroup00 lvm2 [300.01 GiB...

vgscan:
Found volume group "VolGroup00" using metadata type lvm2...

lvscan:
Show 7 logical volumes as active...

installer (under partitioning):
Root-Partition: only shows /dev/sda1 and /dev/sda3

nmcbrideOffline
Post subject: [Solved] Frustrated with the installer... (LVM)  PostPosted: 05.04.2011, 21:43

The installer requires that the partitions have a filesystem on them. Even if it is going to re-format root.

mirixOffline
Post subject: RE: [Solved] Frustrated with the installer... (LVM)  PostPosted: 05.09.2011, 09:36

I am facing a similar problem. I would like to do a reinstall keeping the data in one of the LV. I have just one PV with one VG containing 4 LV and a separate boot partition. My problem is that the liveCD does not recognise the LV at all (they are designed /dev/sda1-4) and they are not recognised by lvm2. I guess that is not a big problem. The big issue is that the boot partition does not appear to be recognised at all by the liveCD (leave alone the installed). If if do fdisk -l only the 4 LV appear...

slhOffline
Post subject: RE: [Solved] Frustrated with the installer... (LVM)  PostPosted: 05.09.2011, 10:10

LVs are detected by the live CD, but are only accepted by the installer as installation target if they're also formatted with a linux filesystem (preferably ext4); if you ignore your other LVs as install targets, the installer won't touch them.

Jump to: