View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
dptOffline
Post subject: No sound, fresh KDE Lite ACER TimeLine 5830T, intel i-3  PostPosted: 05.09.2011, 16:33

With preinstalled W7, that I always wonder why is installed
in a huge 400GB single 3rd partition that goes till the end,the resizing was a challenge and had to recover/restore W$ with 12 reboots after partitioning.

The problem is there was no sound with aptosid KDE Lite, 64 bit. Did not see the usual kmix, so installed or rather tried to. A whooping 150+ MB download.

On reboot I got fluxbox. Finally gave up after pressing every button on keyboard and reinstalled aptosid.

I have not seen the release notes of the new aptosid iso, going to take a look at it, but why did kmix did all that and why I do not see the usual ones I have seen so far. No sound of course.

Someone, please educate.

Thanks
dpt

Reply with quote Back to top
piperOffline
Post subject: RE: No sound, fresh KDE Lite ACER TimeLine 5830T, intel i-3  PostPosted: 05.09.2011, 17:07

Quote:

The problem is there was no sound with aptosid KDE Lite, 64 bit. Did not see the usual kmix, so installed or rather tried to. A whooping 150+ MB download

Perhaps you had a bad download of the iso,

Code:
gwenview
   k3b
   kcalc
   khelpcenter4
   kmix
   knemo
   kppp
   ksnapshot
   okular
should be there (kde-lite)

Instead of trying to install kmix, should have seen that it was installed to begin with
      Code:
apt-cache policy kmix
would have told you if it was indeed installed to begin with instead of trying to download 150+ mb

This sounds like a bad download of the kde-lite iso to me. (I could be wrong)

kmix should be listed under multimedia in normal conditions

alexfOffline
Post subject: RE: No sound, fresh KDE Lite ACER TimeLine 5830T, intel i-3  PostPosted: 05.09.2011, 18:49

Your problem is explained there: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/783582. For me works patch from https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... mments/76.
After install you'll need to change value of OBSOLETE_BY parameter in /usr/src/alsa-hda-0.1/dkms.conf and

dpkg-reconfigure alsa-hda-dmkms

in order to compile under linux-3.0.

slhAdministrator
Post subject: Re: No sound, fresh KDE Lite ACER TimeLine 5830T, intel i-3  PostPosted: 05.09.2011, 18:55

dpt wrote:
The problem is there was no sound with aptosid KDE Lite, 64 bit. Did not see the usual kmix, so installed or rather tried to. A whooping 150+ MB download.

On reboot I got fluxbox. Finally gave up after pressing every button on keyboard and reinstalled aptosid.
Ἡμέρα was released with KDE 4.6.4, while KDE 4.6.5 is now in sid - which left you with a partial upgrade and I'm quite sure that a number of essential KDE packages got removed in the process as well (hello multi-arch). You likely could have avoided that by first doing a full dist-upgrade and installing kmix later and/ or taking more care about package removals.

alsamixer (cli) should give you the same access to sound settings.

slamOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: No sound, fresh KDE Lite ACER TimeLine 5830T, intel  PostPosted: 06.09.2011, 09:17
Team Member

alexf wrote:
Your problem is explained there: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/783582. For me works patch from https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... mments/76.
After install you'll need to change value of OBSOLETE_BY parameter in /usr/src/alsa-hda-0.1/dkms.conf and

dpkg-reconfigure alsa-hda-dmkms

in order to compile under linux-3.0.
Do not use Ubuntu patches on Aptosid/Debian, and do not promote them to our users. This is strongly depreciated here. Add, that we do not use dkms, but our own tool dmakms instead.
Greetings,
Chris

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
dptOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: No sound, fresh KDE Lite ACER TimeLine 5830T, in  PostPosted: 06.09.2011, 17:00

After reinstallation of apsosid-lite, my kid (21+ old) has taken the laptop to her hostel in a city 350 km away. This thursday she comes for 3 days. If the time is appropriate, I will carry out a du (usually with -d first) and install kmix.
She can also do it later otherwise, my both kids love and use aptosid unless they have to use W$. I can guide on phone.

Else maybe first use alsamixer. Afterall the settings will not
need frequent changes, so CLI should be no problem.

BTW can alsamixer be installed along with kmix? Or will there be conflicts?

@slam, at least I was not going the ubuntu way.

Thanks everyone especially slh.

dpt

dptOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: No sound, fresh KDE Lite ACER TimeLine 5830T, in  PostPosted: 27.09.2011, 12:54

Getting this:

root@kinubox:/home/kinu# apt-get install alsamixer
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package alsamixer

dpt

slhAdministrator
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: No sound, fresh KDE Lite ACER TimeLine 5830T, in  PostPosted: 27.09.2011, 12:55

alsa-utils: /usr/bin/alsamixer

Jump to: