View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
diblOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 11.09.2011, 19:00

The nouveau driver does a reasonably good job on my GTX 480. With the proprietary driver and nvidia-settings, I was able to get the temps out for my conky, and of course that is not possible now with nouveau. Desktop effects work, more or less -- no "cube switching" or some of the other advanced 3D effects, but it's fully usable with 4 virtual KDE desktops and separate activities for each desktop. Googleearth is kind of semi-functional if started in "DirectX Mode" in lieu of "Open GL Software Emulation". But it crashes about 30% of the time, and has to be started in a terminal, not krunner.

Reply with quote Back to top
piperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 12.09.2011, 20:45

dibl wrote:
The nouveau driver does a reasonably good job on my GTX 480. With the proprietary driver and nvidia-settings, I was able to get the temps out for my conky, and of course that is not possible now with nouveau. Desktop effects work, more or less -- no "cube switching" or some of the other advanced 3D effects, but it's fully usable with 4 virtual KDE desktops and separate activities for each desktop. Googleearth is kind of semi-functional if started in "DirectX Mode" in lieu of "Open GL Software Emulation". But it crashes about 30% of the time, and has to be started in a terminal, not krunner.

The nouveau driver is getting better and better, I agree with that Smile

I have have problems with gaming and mythtv

If I didn't do the 2 above, it would be standard on all my boxes Wink

thompaOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 20.09.2011, 21:49

I am using a GeForce GTS 250 on a Phenom II machine.

The performance increase with the proprietary drivers is substantial especially in kde. The only problem is that my box gets noisier with the higher fan speed.

I don't understand. This is a big yet old card but with nouvea its same as vesa. Very slow performance. I also have freeze-ups occasionaly,

piperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 20.09.2011, 23:27

Quote:

Very slow performance. I also have freeze-ups occasionaly

Yes, that is the main problem with this card (GTS 450 1GB GDDR5 memory) and nouveau

Jump to: