View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
diblOffline
Post subject: VMware Player / Workstation -- kernel 2.6.35 patch  PostPosted: 14.09.2010, 16:37

VMware Player 3.x / Workstation 7.x will not build the modules correctly after upgrading to the 2.6.35 kernel. Patch using the instruction down this page: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/VMware

where it says "For 2.6.35 kernel and VMware7.1.1, there's a script to patch the VMware sources".

Reply with quote Back to top
wofritzOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 14.09.2010, 17:06

Hello dibl,

I just went through this. I was not able to find all information at one place, so I'll write down here what I have done.

I first updated to vmplayer 3.1.1 in the hope that the problem was fixed there, but that was not the case.

There are 2 modules which must be patched, vmmon and vmsock. vmmon can be patched manually (only 2 lines), vmsock needs a patch.

vmsock:
Become root.

Code:

cd /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source
tar -xvf vmmon.tar
cd vmmon-only/linux

Then edit iommu,c and replace all (2) occurrences of iommu_map_range with iommu_map

retar the files:
      Code:

tar -cvf vmmon.tar vmmon_only

That's all for vmmon.

For vmsock untar vsock.tar the same way but apply the attached patch
      Code:

tar -xvf vsock.tar
cd vsock-only/linux
gunzip vsock.patch.gz
patch -p0 <vsock.patch
tar -cvf vsock.tar vsock-only

Then open a VM and let vmplayer build the modules as usual.

Regards,
Wolfgang

diblOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 14.09.2010, 19:33

I dunno, Wolfgang. The patch as shown on the Arch wiki did work as advertised, for me. After running the patch script, the VMware Player 3.1.1 "module builder" was able to rebuild for the 2.6.35 kernel with no errors or problems -- I have tested it with 2 VMs today and all is correct.

slhOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 15.09.2010, 13:58

Given that VMware player is not packaged in Debian, this is no upgrade warning - moving to software.

diblOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 24.09.2010, 14:13

24 SEP UPDATE:

VMware Player offers an upgrade to ver. 3.1.2. When accepted, the upgrade installs correctly, but the new version also will not build the kernel modules correctly -- error on vmmon.

The patch linked above, from Arch forums, does NOT work correctly on this upgraded version.

However, the two files on the first post here will patch it correctly.

Copy the two files to /tmp. Run the patch-modules.sh script, which will invoke the other script and run it. It ran without errors on my system. When it is finished, the new version of VMware Player will launch, and when the license is accepted, it runs with no further issues. Usual caveats are in effect -- YMMV. My system:

Code:
Host/Kernel/OS  "sidbox" running Linux 2.6.35-5.slh.3-aptosid-amd64 x86_64 [ sidux 2009-03 Μώμος - kde-lite - (200911110039) ]
CPU Info        (1) Intel Core2 X6800 @ 4096 KB cache flags( sse3 ht nx lm vmx ) clocked at [ 1596.000 MHz ]
                (2) Intel Core2 X6800 @ 4096 KB cache flags( sse3 ht nx lm vmx ) clocked at [ 1596.000 MHz ]
Videocard       nVidia GT200 [GeForce GTX 260]  X.Org 1.7.7  [ 1600x1200@50.0hz ]
Network cards   Intel 82573L Gigabit
Processes 179 | Uptime 1:26 | Memory 2993.1/3964.8MB | HDD WDC WD1002FBYS-0,WDC WD7500AAKS-0,WDC WD1500AHFD-0 Size 1900GB (47%used) | GLX Renderer GeForce GTX 260/PCI/SSE2 | GLX Version 3.3.0 NVIDIA 260.19.04 | Client Shell | Infobash v3.34

wofritzOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 25.09.2010, 08:29

Hi dibl,

thanks for the update. The patching worked fine and my Windows XP VM is running (just upgrading the VMware Tools)

I am wondering if current iTunes will run with this version (did not work in former versions) - are you by chance using iTunes in a Win XP VM?

Regards,

Wolfgang

diblOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 25.09.2010, 12:09

Hi Wolfgang. I have a Win XP VM, a Win 7 VM, and a Kubuntu 10.10 VM. The Windows VMs work good -- networking is "bridged" and USB all works fine. I don't use iTunes, so I cannot comment on that issue. I have several USB devices, including a Motorola Razr phone, and that Windows software and USB interface all works fine on the Win XP VM. I do not see why iTunes should have any problem on a VM.

wofritzOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 25.09.2010, 12:19

Hi dibl,
I did it - updated iTunes to current version, and it seems to work. My first trials with iTunes (around May) were not successful, and google talked about problems with iTunes and VMWare, but this seems to be solved now.

Regards,

Wolfgang

slamOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 25.09.2010, 18:51
Team Member

Moved to "User scripts & dragons" - as VMWare is exactly that.
Greetings,
Chris

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
Jump to: