View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
ckosloffOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 18.09.2011, 03:45

@slh,
May I inquire why you seem to be taking sides, as if I were some kind of villain?
I did not do anything to provoke personal attacks, they are totally nonsensical as has been shown.
So, why do you want to help me leave?
Can you explain that?

Reply with quote Back to top
DonKultOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 18.09.2011, 06:03
Team Member

It is as simple as: If you don't like the advice, feel free to ignore it. The same for the adviser or even his style of advice. But problems out of your ignorance are your problems, not the problem of the one being ignored. It's just that if you ignore big players in the community, it might be a better idea to ignore the complete community instead. You can't be a part of anything if you ignore parts of it.

If i e.g. only tracking KDE in unstable and the rest of my system is well behind oldstable (which is technical properly completely impossible) i can't claim that i am running an unstable system - or i can, but it is unstable in the "usual" sense, but not in the debian sense Wink Same for a community, if you just stick to a few parts this isn't going to work out that great. A few "packages" might be better "updated" with great care, but you have to deal with them, even if you don't like them.

muchan
Post subject:   PostPosted: 18.09.2011, 08:18

My take.

What ckosloff have been writing here last days is called "flaming" on internet community.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flaming_(Internet)
"Flaming" is, simply put, emotionally charged messages. The best way to calm the flaming
is usually not reacting too much. Usually time will heal the wound...

Technically, the cause of flame was, that (probably) he did not know what software "driver"
actually was. "Driver" is a software to enable particular hardware (or other device)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Device_driver
So, when he talks about nvidia driver, or bluetoith driver, the one who would offer the
support assumed that he had these hardwares on the problematic PC. After he revealed that
he didn't have, this error/ignorance/stupidity, whatever called, was beyond the imagination
for more advanced aptosiders, and caused the reaction of piper.
(which, I believe, was too harsh to new user...)

From ckosloff's point of view, his error/ignorance or whatever, was normal range of problem for a
new linux user, so he sees the piper's reaction unreasonable, and started flaming.

From aptosid's point of view, moderator's hat on, I don't wish seeing flaming war
continues on the forum, but forsing to block this thread will probably cause more
flames... so I just wish it will die out soon.
No problem if ckosloff will stop reading piper's post.
(he should have ingored the last one on this thread, no?)
Sure, no problem ignoring my posts in the future.

"Ignore list" option is not, it will not.
That answered, there is no use of this thread any more, other than either calming the flame, or just continue to flame...
Please don't feed the fuel.

ckosloffOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 18.09.2011, 13:49

Thanks for answers, at least this shows that community takes support seriously.
But, again, there is no question of this:
"After he revealed that he didn't have, this error/ignorance/stupidity, whatever called, was beyond the imagination for more advanced aptosiders, and caused the reaction of piper."
I did not reveal that I did not have it, it was always clear what the hardware was (meticulously documented), he just had to read the question.
If you read my previous posts, this will be crystal clear to you.
I may be new to aptosid, but not to Linux, and know very well how to post a trouble ticket.
Blue Devil is poorly coded, if the device is not there, it should issue an alert, not die without further notice, this problem puzzled me until I realized that, in fact, the program is poorly coded.
It is therefore noteworthy to post the reason for this unusual behaviour.
The problem is that Piper is on a bitching roll against me, he popped up in a useful thread with some unprovoked, disrupting comments about Ubuntu (which I have never used) and has not stopped ever since.
He cannot stand being proved wrong by somebody new to aptosid, but facts are facts.
I do not ignore posts by muchan, slam, DonKult, ghostyder, etc. these guys are friendly and informed.
In fact, I hate flame wars, and cannot afford to engage in such waste of time.
Piper may be a player in aptosid, every good family has a bad apple.
I just want him to stay away from me, because his posts do not contain anything useful and incite others to post similar nonsense.

DonKultOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 18.09.2011, 15:55
Team Member

Came on, we don't need to get personal here. I am pretty sure nobody meant it that way you seem to have read it - and even if it would be the case anybody has a bad day sometimes. No need to discuss that as it leads nowhere.

Regarding BlueDevil: Report your idea to upstream. Your distro of choice (as any other distro) "only" distributes packages including the program. We are not all developers on all programs which are distributed. That would require an approximated 5000h day, not including eating and sleeping or any other activity.

We can also try to help you if you have problems with a specific hardware/software not working with your hardware/software. But as you don't have the hardware, there is no problem for us to solve. Just a feature wish from you to be implemented by upstream.

piperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 18.09.2011, 16:31

ckosloff wrote:
The problem is that Piper is on a bitching roll against me, he popped up in a useful thread with some unprovoked, disrupting comments about Ubuntu (which I have never used) and has not stopped ever since.

Actually chosloff, I made a mistake and had a brain fart

I honestly believe that windows would be better suited for you.

Even though I don't like ubuntu, I just feel you are not ready for that either

You have flamed this well, you have very soft skin, and an ignore list is something I "might" let my grandkids use, in other words, it's for kids.

Testing the users/mods/devs with your taunts, does not make you look good, in fact, it makes you look like a total ass

I don't care if this gets removed, my opinion is my choice, I picked my choice,
and that is my last word to Mr. ckosloff period.

If you need something answered within a day or two, pick up the phone and call your local support.
The support team will be happy to assist immediately over the phone.

SmileSmileSmileSmileSmile Have a nice day ckosloff and smile, be HAPPY Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile

ckosloffOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 19.09.2011, 01:35

piper wrote:

and that is my last word to Mr. ckosloff period.

Finally! Let's see if you are man enough to keep your promise.

ckosloffOffline
Post subject: Hardware/software issues  PostPosted: 19.09.2011, 01:55

DonKult wrote:
We can also try to help you if you have problems with a specific hardware/software not working with your hardware/software.

I am well aware that you don't code everything.
How do I report a problem upstream for Blue Devil?
I am also gathering info on the Nepomuk crash but at least there is a page for that in kde.org
My biggest problem now is the radeon card.
You will find all the necessary specs on my related previous posts.
I hope you don't say that I am misleading you just because I don't reproduce all that chunk here. Very Happy
Problem is simple: radeon alone does not work well.
Nouveau and nvidia do not apply, in fact video works better after nouveau purged.
fglrx is not installable because of unresolvable dependencies, I tested.
So, I am stuck with radeon until the maintainer improves on the package, right?
A good example of mix of good and bad packages, take the whole or the highway.
This of course does not belong here, @admin, please feel free to move this post.

ckosloffOffline
Post subject: RE: Hardware/software issues  PostPosted: 19.09.2011, 02:30

I found out how to report for bluedevil at packages.debian.org, please disregard.

slamOffline
Post subject: RE: Hardware/software issues  PostPosted: 19.09.2011, 07:39
Team Member

The initial question is answered long time ago, I will close this topic therefore here.
Greetings,
Chris

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
Jump to: