View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
xidOffline
Post subject: Keyboard not working for i3 & awesome wm.[Solved]  PostPosted: 22.09.2011, 14:09

Hello
I've installed aptosid-xfce on my eeepc 1000h. Then I've installed i3 and awesome, but their keyboard shortcuts don't work at all having to press ctrl+alt+F1 to restart the computer from the command line.
In awesomewm the mouse and contextual menu work. In i3 the mouse also works.
Any idea about this?

Thank you.

Last edited by xid on 06.12.2011, 18:06; edited 1 time in total

Reply with quote Back to top
titanOffline
Post subject: RE: Keyboard not working for i3 & awesome wm.  PostPosted: 22.09.2011, 19:59

I have been playing with both these wm. just check in the config files which key they use as the modifier key there seems to be a difference between versions of the documentation.Also my right Win and shift works when the docs say left alt and shift should work. Do you really want a tiling wm on a small screen eeepc. Openbox is very simple to configure including keymapping for most used functions.

DeepDayzeOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Keyboard not working for i3 & awesome wm.  PostPosted: 22.09.2011, 20:49

titan wrote:
I have been playing with both these wm. just check in the config files which key they use as the modifier key there seems to be a difference between versions of the documentation.Also my right Win and shift works when the docs say left alt and shift should work. Do you really want a tiling wm on a small screen eeepc. Openbox is very simple to configure including keymapping for most used functions.

Another light WM for such a machine is IceWM..very configurable and easy to set up

slamOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Keyboard not working for i3 & awesome wm.  PostPosted: 23.09.2011, 08:22
Team Member

Add LXDE to the list - light ad feature rich.
Greetings,
Chris

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
titanOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Keyboard not working for i3 & awesome wm.  PostPosted: 24.09.2011, 09:13

I am currently using scrotwm and it is quite impressive. Basically a tiling wm but with alt+ mouse floating and resizing. All the keys worked as they should unlike Awesome and i3.

xidOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Keyboard not working for i3 & awesome wm.  PostPosted: 24.09.2011, 13:58

titan wrote:
Do you really want a tiling wm on a small screen eeepc.

Yes, I want a tiling wm because in a small screen it's messy (at least for me) to work with +2 floating windows if I need them in the same work-space. So, dividing the screen in 2 or 3 no overlapping sections is very comfortable.
I've been using awesome wm with #!Crunchbang. Other wm's are easier to configure them, but the fun for me with Linux is also having to learn.
Thanks for your recommendations. I've also used lxde, icewm, openbox and fluxbox.

titanOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Keyboard not working for i3 & awesome wm.  PostPosted: 25.09.2011, 13:31

Just thought I would add that I am now back with i3 and like it very much. I think the original keys problem was my keyboard (have a new one now). I was struggling to get the i3bar and i3status set up as I wanted, I posted on their mailing list (today) and got a reply in three minutes with the solution from the main developer. Scrotwm in Debian is over three years old although it looks like the latest version may be in soon.

slamOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Keyboard not working for i3 & awesome wm.  PostPosted: 25.09.2011, 13:35
Team Member

I will get my hands on latest eee-hardware by tomorrow, and will do some testing & hacking. However, I will concentrate on DW/WM variants we release/intend to release. So, KDE, XFCE, LXDE and Fluxbox will have serious support here - everything else is up to users helping each other.
Greetings,
Chris

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
titanOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Keyboard not working for i3 & awesome wm.  PostPosted: 25.09.2011, 21:43

The problem as I see it is that that the lightweight wm get cluttered up with various alternative docks, bars, panels like conkey showing all sorts of rubbish data like disk usage and memory use and endless menus who needs that, or wobbly windows. I3 is clean and allows easy access to the net, mail and anything else. KDE.XFCE LXDE FLUXBOX and even Openbox ( which I like a lot) seem overly fussy compared to the simplistic but very functional i3. Having used kde since 1996 I can't really see me going back to KDE with all that unnecessary and superfluous bling although I still use digikam,gwenview dolphin, konsole and Okular as they are imo the best applications for their tasks.

Jump to: