View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
ShakaZOffline
Post subject: Alsa broken after trying pulseaudio [SOLVED]  PostPosted: 26.05.2011, 09:54

After failing to set up pulseaudio (best I got was very feeble sound coming out of the micro...), then removing all pulseaudio related packages, I had sound working again with alsa.
A reboot later however, sound is broken again. In Kmix, Sound Configuration, testing the sound works fine. In iceweasel, vlc, **removed**, xine, kaffeine however there's no sound anymore.

Alsamixergui gives this error :
      Code:
$ alsamixergui
ALSA lib pulse.c:229:(pulse_connect) PulseAudio: Unable to connect: Connection refused

Vlc on the command line outputs :
      Code:
$ cvlc /media/Salif\ Keita/Folon/01\ Tekere.mp3
VLC media player 1.1.9 The Luggage (revision exported)
Blocked: call to unsetenv("DBUS_ACTIVATION_ADDRESS")
Blocked: call to unsetenv("DBUS_ACTIVATION_BUS_TYPE")
[0x1765830] dummy interface: using the dummy interface module...
ALSA lib pulse.c:229:(pulse_connect) PulseAudio: Unable to connect: Connection refused

[0x7f779c0010e0] main audio output error: Potential ALSA version problem
[0x7f779c0010e0] main audio output error: VLC failed to initialize your sound output device (if any).
Please update alsa-lib to version 1.0.23-2-g8d80d5f or higher to try to fix this issue.                                       
[0x7f779c0010e0] oss audio output error: cannot open audio device (/dev/dsp)
Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory
Cannot connect to server socket
jack server is not running or cannot be started
[0x7f779c0010e0] jack audio output error: failed to connect to JACK server

[0x7f779c0010e0] main audio output error: couldn't find a filter for the conversion f32l -> mpga
[0x7f779c0010e0] main audio output error: couldn't create audio output pipeline
^C[0x7f77a4001570] signals interface error: Caught Interrupt signal, exiting...

It looks like somehow ALSA is still expecting Pulseaudio to handle the sound.

EDIT : sound is back in Iceweasel, but not the other media players, still outputting the same errors...
This is after doing :
      Code:
apt-get purge alsa-base alsa-tools alsa-tools-gui alsa-utils alsa-oss linux-sound-base alsamixergui esound esound-clients esound-common libesd-alsa0

apt-get install alsa-base alsa-tools alsa-tools-gui alsa-utils alsa-oss linux-sound-base alsamixergui

EDIT2 : issue solved after removing /etc/asound.conf which I had created when trying to get pulseaudio to work.

The reason I wanted pulseaudio to work was to be able to use projectm-pulseaudio which enables the projectm visualisation to use the main sound output as a basis or visualisation. Installing pulseaudio seems however to mess up everything in Kmix, with most of the devices not showing up anymore and sound not working. By choosing other device in the sound setup I managed to get a feeble sound out of the micro though that's not the desired result.

Reply with quote Back to top
broweOffline
Post subject: RE: Alsa broken after trying pulseaudio [SOLVED]  PostPosted: 06.10.2011, 17:08

A couple months ago I installed pulseaudio and everything went fine. I followed the directions here:

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=12497

Reply with quote Back to top
Jump to: