Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Author Message
alexkOffline
Post subject: Semi-automatic dist-upgrade on shutdown  PostPosted: 07.10.2011, 15:48



Joined: 2010-10-01
Posts: 192

Status: Offline
I'd like to be able to select to have my computer do a download-only dist upgrade while I'm in init 5, then have it automatically do the dist-upgrade the next time I do a shutdown, once the machine exits X. Of course, the download-only dist upgrade in init 5 is easy with one command. It's the other part that would take some implementing.

Currently, I usually have two simultaneous user logins, so I have to log out of each manually to save the desktop settings, switch to Ctrl-Alt-F1, log in, run "service kdm stop" run the dist-upgrade, then restart kdm and log both users back in again. I would like to have the option at least on occasion of doing an automatic dist-upgrade when I do a full shutdown.

What do you think? Any other ideas to make dist-upgrades easier?


Last edited by alexk on 17.11.2011, 15:38; edited 1 time in total
 
 View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger  
Reply with quote Back to top
hubiOffline
Post subject: RE: Automatic dist-upgrade on shutdown  PostPosted: 07.10.2011, 21:21
Moderator


Joined: 2010-09-11
Posts: 228
Location: Vienna (AT)
Status: Offline
Because of the nature of Debian Sid dist upgrades should not be done unattended. Therefore I doubt that someone in the team is inclined to write the code for such a routine. I could be wrong though ... but ...

hubi

_________________
Tilos Rádió Budapest
 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail  
Reply with quote Back to top
piperOffline
Post subject: RE: Automatic dist-upgrade on shutdown  PostPosted: 07.10.2011, 22:15
Moderator


Joined: 2010-09-11
Posts: 480
Location: cheektowaga, ny
Status: Offline
Doesn't get any easier or faster than

      Code:
init 3 && apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade


I agree with hubi, debian sid dist upgrades should not be done unattended.

That would be suicide (IMHO)

_________________
debian sid | apt-get into it
 
 View user's profile Send private message  
Reply with quote Back to top
DeepDayzeOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Automatic dist-upgrade on shutdown  PostPosted: 07.10.2011, 23:26



Joined: 2010-09-11
Posts: 616
Location: USA
Status: Offline
      piper wrote:
Doesn't get any easier or faster than

      Code:
init 3 && apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade


I agree with hubi, debian sid dist upgrades should not be done unattended.

That would be suicide (IMHO)


Unattended d-u's especially for Sid can really result in havoc due to possible package removals that can break critical parts of the system
 
 View user's profile Send private message  
Reply with quote Back to top
CaesarTjalboOffline
Post subject: RE: Automatic dist-upgrade on shutdown  PostPosted: 07.10.2011, 23:35



Joined: 2010-09-13
Posts: 95
Location: Enschede
Status: Offline
For a shutdown, you need to log out those users too. Perhaps having one or both users on another setting than 'restore previous session' might make things a bit easier.

Besides sensible issues with dist-upgrades, it's not a fully automated process but requires user input occasionally.
 
 View user's profile Send private message  
Reply with quote Back to top
michaaa62Offline
Post subject: Re: Automatic dist-upgrade on shutdown  PostPosted: 07.10.2011, 23:43



Joined: 2010-09-11
Posts: 54
Location: Berlin, Germany
Status: Offline
      alexk wrote:
I'd like to be able to select to have my computer do a download-only dist upgrade while I'm in init 5, then have it automatically do the dist-upgrade the next time I do a shutdown, once the machine exits X. Of course, the download-only dist upgrade in init 5 is easy with one command. It's the other part that would take some implementing.

Currently, I usually have two simultaneous user logins, so I have to log out of each manually to save the desktop settings, switch to Ctrl-Alt-F1, log in, run "service kdm stop" run the dist-upgrade, then restart kdm and log both users back in again. I would like to have the option at least on occasion of doing an automatic dist-upgrade when I do a full shutdown.

What do you think? Any other ideas to make dist-upgrades easier?
You might think about a cron job or a manual
      Code:
apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade -dy
to download the packages to your PC to daily times that suit your usage and download speed. Whenever you want to see, how things would be, just
      Code:
apt-get dist-upgrade
will show what will get removed (if any), upgraded or additionally installed. From that output you might evaluate if to dist-upgrade or not. Because of already downloaded packages via cron the init3 'downtime' is as short as possible.
 
 View user's profile Send private message  
Reply with quote Back to top
alexkOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Automatic dist-upgrade on shutdown  PostPosted: 08.10.2011, 15:42



Joined: 2010-10-01
Posts: 192

Status: Offline
      hubi wrote:
Because of the nature of Debian Sid dist upgrades should not be done unattended.

I see that several people brought this up. Let me clarify that I am not talking about unattended dist-upgrades in Sid. My idea was just an option to have a dist-upgrade launched automatically upon shutdown, but not completed without user input. It would be a normal attended dist-upgrade, the user could choose whether to go through with it, or not and the user would answer any package questions as usual, as per the Debconf settings.

      CaesarTjalbo wrote:
For a shutdown, you need to log out those users too.

When I shutdown, I only have to hit the Enter key to log out other users when the systems asks for confirmation.

A "Log all users out" option would help. I would expect there's a way to do this with a script, using KDE commands, but it's not something I've looked into (yet).

      michaaa62 wrote:
You might think about a cron job or a manual
Code:
apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade -dy
to download the packages to your PC to daily times that suit your usage and download speed. Whenever you want to see, how things would be, just
Code:
apt-get dist-upgrade
will show what will get removed (if any), upgraded or additionally installed. From that output you might evaluate if to dist-upgrade or not. Because of already downloaded packages via cron the init3 'downtime' is as short as possible.

Yes, I do use this method a lot, manually and it does greatly speed up upgrades, especially if there are a lot of upgraded packages. I'm also using PDiffs to speed up downloading, which seems to work well (but I have not done an objective comparison with the non-PDiff method).
 
 View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger  
Reply with quote Back to top
CaesarTjalboOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Automatic dist-upgrade on shutdown  PostPosted: 09.10.2011, 09:58



Joined: 2010-09-13
Posts: 95
Location: Enschede
Status: Offline
      alexk wrote:
      CaesarTjalbo wrote:
For a shutdown, you need to log out those users too.

When I shutdown, I only have to hit the Enter key to log out other users when the systems asks for confirmation.
What happens when you su to root, switches to runlevel 3 and kill X? Just a guess: you don't even have to press enter.

I mean: when you shutdown and the system asks for confirmation, does it log out those users properly and save their KDE session? Or does it merely 'kill' those users as it also kills KDE?

      alexk wrote:
A "Log all users out" option would help. I would expect there's a way to do this with a script, using KDE commands, but it's not something I've looked into (yet).
Maybe this can be a start: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Sh ... wer_Button
 
 View user's profile Send private message  
Reply with quote Back to top
Display posts from previous:     
Jump to:  
All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Powered by Zafenio