View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
someoneanywhereOffline
15 Post subject: [SOLVED] Cannot Boot after du  PostPosted: 23.10.2011, 15:28

With reference to topic:
http://aptosid.com/index.php?name=PNphp ... amp;t=1855

While for most the situation is "fixed", such is not the case for me. I was the unlucky sap to have a power outage while in the midst of the apt-get busybox to effect the fix. Well, actually I'd booted the previous kernal as the above quoted topic suggested and haplessly did a du then was installing nvidia drivers when the power went down. I never got to read the upgrade fix messages from my beloved aptosid system!! Thus I cannot boot any kernel now. Oh yes grub has them all nicely listed. Super Grub boot disc does not work either.
So, I need help to figure out how to use the aptosid install disc to get this fixed.
Thank you.

Last edited by someoneanywhere on 03.11.2011, 06:50; edited 1 time in total

Reply with quote Back to top
someoneanywhereOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 23.10.2011, 19:55

System is aptosid updated weekly original install was sidux 2009-03, amd-64. Root, boot, home, var are each separate partitions.
Thank you for pointers to information as how to proceed as I am certain there must be a way to use the aptosid live dvd to set up a temporary fstab to mount the various partitions,download, install the proper busybox.deb. But I'm rather a newbie at using live distro discs for recovery, and not very much of an Uber-geek.

michaaa62Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 23.10.2011, 20:19

You surely converted your sidux install to an aptosid system some time ago???

Try to boot your aptosid-Live-CD, open a terminal, become root and set up a chroot environment:
to know the UUIDs do
      Code:
ls -l /dev/disk/by-uuid
You should know which partition is /boot /var and / of your installed sidux/aptosid-system
      Code:
su
mkdir /media/sidux
mount /dev/sdxX /media/sidux
mount /dev/sdxY /media/sidux/var
mount /dev/sdxZ /media/sidux/boot
mount -o bind /dev /media/sidux/dev
mount -o bind /sys /media/sidux/sys
mount -o bind /proc /media/sidux/proc
chroot /media/sidux
dpkg --configure -a
apt-get install -f
Hope it helps, may others please correct or add if necessary!

someoneanywhereOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 23.10.2011, 23:58

Quote:
You surely converted your sidux install to an aptosid system some time ago???

Yes, just as soon as aptosid became avail.

Quote:
You should know which partition is /boot /var and / of your installed sidux/aptosid-system

Yes, no worries there.
I'll try sometime in the morrow as I'll be home again then.
Your instructions look familiar and ring some faint bells from using Knoppix to salvage a screwed RH system we HAD to recover as 5 years production CAD work was at stake.
I hope I'm lucky on my own system as I truly love it as it is (er....was).
Thank you.

kb0haeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 24.10.2011, 01:30

Hi. I am sure you recognize the value of backups! I have been doing frequent backups for many years. About 5 years ago, I began doing 4-5 off-site backups a year...taking a set of backup DVDs to my folks house. A trusted relative or friend's home could do as well. A good friend had a fire last Feb. Among their possesions that were lost was their digital camera (with many pictures still not transfered to computer) and all of their computers and CD/DVD disks. Most of their family pictures, many documents etc...were lost that were only stored on computer or disk.

Needless to say, he understands about off-site backups now. BTW, one of my pet peeves are folks who do not transfere pictures from the camera to computer within 24-48 hours of taking them. With memory cards capable of holding hundreds to thousands of pictures, if your camera is lost or stolen, many irreplaceable pictures can be lost.

In addition to using DVDs for backups, my pictures, documents etc... are stored on 4 computers here at home. One laptop that I use downstairs on the couch, My desktop, my girlfriend's desktop, and another laptop in the "office/radio room" upstairs.

I do not trust online backup services, nor do I trust any "cloud" services for security/privacy reasons. If one of my systems crashes, I can have it back up and running in 4 hours or so. 3 hours of that is re-installing XP PRO (they are all dual boot systems with a seperate data partition).

I hope you can get your system back up soon!

someoneanywhereOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 24.10.2011, 15:35

michaaa62 :
I will be delayed trying your instructions as I cannot seem to get a bootable dvd burned on the wife's mac g-4. Of course she is not sympathetic to my stupidities. Therefore I'll have muck about quickly and quietly to learn what is required for mac to burn the aptosid-2011-02-imera-kde-full-i386-amd64-201107131633.iso so that it is bootable. I will try the smaller ....imera-xfce-amd64 .iso also. But as I afaik or remember bootable cd's are the same issue on her machine..... without buying software.

kb0hae : Backups???????! You are of course correct, and I of course am woefully negligent, except with respect to camera images and music .flac files.
Thank you. Razz

michaaa62Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 24.10.2011, 18:58

Isn't dd part of the mac terminal???
Or try burn http://burn-osx.sourceforge.net/Pages/English/home.html

someoneanywhereOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 24.10.2011, 19:12

michaaa62 wrote:
Isn't dd part of the mac terminal???
Or try burn http://burn-osx.sourceforge.net/Pages/English/home.html

Yes, dd is built in. I'd just not thought of that.
Also thank you for the link.

someoneanywhereOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 26.10.2011, 14:44

Well no soap thus far!
I have gotten the aptosid-2011-02-imera.....iso's burned, they do load and start to boot into aptosid but the -39 amd_64 kernels never complete loading. I seem to remember some such talk at the time of release.
So, for now one is dead in the water.
I'll try Knoppix64. My fear is that if too much time elapses the aptosid will have rolled on to a point one cannot update and therefore will have a boat anchor in fond memory!!!!
Anyway, thank you so much for the suggestions and help, one always learns here on the aptosid forums.

Have we an expected date for the next aptosid release?
One may decide to just install clean from then.

someoneanywhereOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 03.11.2011, 06:49

michaaa62 wrote:

Code:
su
mkdir /media/sidux
mount /dev/sdxX /media/sidux
mount /dev/sdxY /media/sidux/var
mount /dev/sdxZ /media/sidux/boot
mount -o bind /dev /media/sidux/dev
mount -o bind /sys /media/sidux/sys
mount -o bind /proc /media/sidux/proc
chroot /media/sidux
dpkg --configure -a
apt-get install -f
Hope it helps, may others please correct or add if necessary!

michaaa62:
Everything went exactly as you'd set out above. So one is again in aptosid land and very happy to be here!!!!!
I did in fact have some hardware issues (failing ram and one of the psu's)...but all okay again.
THANK you so much.

someoneanywhereOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 03.11.2011, 20:05

Well, drat and curses!!!Q!! I knew it was too good to be true.
The system is again shutting off with no error messages or known reason. But, this is at least strictly hardware stuff. Maybe video card, or motherboard??? Rolling Eyes

Jump to: