View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
snvvOffline
Post subject: misplaced panel [solved]  PostPosted: 18.10.2011, 15:35

The top panel of my desktop is misplaced every time I start the PC. (see pic1)

Also when the panel is misplaced and I maximize a program windows cover the upper part of the program (see pic2)

That happens after I changed the screen resolution from 1366x768 to 1024x768 to match a projector resolution that I used. After the presentation I restored my normal resolution. After that every time I open the PC I have the problem shown in PIC's.

Every time I boot I have center the panel alignment in order for the panel to take the normal position.

Is something that I can do about that problem?

Thank you

PIC1

PIC2

Last edited by snvv on 29.10.2011, 14:15; edited 1 time in total

Reply with quote Back to top
spacepenguinOffline
Post subject: RE: misplaced panel  PostPosted: 22.10.2011, 14:26

Does this also happen with a new panel?
Did you change anything besides the resolution like e.g. absolute position in systemsettings?

snvvOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 25.10.2011, 16:57

I did not chanenged anything at all.

The new panel is going on the left and I don't use it.

The strange thing is when I choose panel -> alignment -> center (or whatever) it takes the normal position. Rolling Eyes but the problem is that I have to do that every time I boot.
Regards
snvv

piperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 27.10.2011, 08:50

snvv wrote:
I did not chanenged anything at all.

The new panel is going on the left and I don't use it.

The strange thing is when I choose panel -> alignment -> center (or whatever) it takes the normal position. Rolling Eyes but the problem is that I have to do that every time I boot.
Regards
snvv

Try rebooting after the change (alignment -> center) with widgets unlocked

You may have to recenter it again, if so, then lock widgets and reboot again

This happened to me once before in the early stages of kde4 and the above helped. A lot of reboots, but it worked finally.

Note:

Has to be reboot, not restarting kde (been there done that)

This may not work for you period, good luck

snvvOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 27.10.2011, 11:59

Thank you I will try and I will report what happens.
However, after extensive googling I know taht this is a very old and very common problem that is going to be solved in KDE 4.7.

Regards
snvv

snvvOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 28.10.2011, 15:27

It does not work.
Every time I have to adjust the panel to fit the screen.
I will wait for next KDE version
Regards
snvv

piperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 28.10.2011, 23:02

You can try reloading plasma after you make your changes
      Code:
kquitapp plasma-desktop
plasma-desktop

You can also try if the above don't work to just delete ~/.kde4/share/config/plasm* and restart kde or the drastic delete of .kde

snvvOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 29.10.2011, 14:00

piper wrote:
You can try reloading plasma after you make your changes
      Code:
kquitapp plasma-desktop
plasma-desktop

You can also try if the above don't work to just delete ~/.kde4/share/config/plasm* and restart kde or the drastic delete of .kde

Thank you
After the commands

Code:
kquitapp plasma-desktop
plasma-desktop

I got

Code:
~$ kquitapp plasma-desktop
Invalid D-BUS interface name 'org.kde.plasma-desktop.PlasmaApp' found while parsing introspection
snvv@aptosidbox:~$ plasma-desktop
QDBusObjectPath: invalid path ""
QDBusObjectPath: invalid path ""
plasma-desktop(5991)/libplasma Plasma::FrameSvg::resizeFrame: Invalid size QSizeF(0, 0)
plasma-desktop(5991)/libplasma Plasma::FrameSvg::resizeFrame: Invalid size QSizeF(0, 0)

Object::connect: No such slot AbstractItemView::iconSettingsChanged()
plasma-desktop(5991)/libplasma Plasma::FrameSvg::resizeFrame: Invalid size QSizeF(-22, -12)
plasma-desktop(5991)/libplasma Plasma::FrameSvg::resizeFrame: Invalid size QSizeF(-22, -12)
Object::connect: No such signal KWindowSystem::windowChanged(WId,unsigned long*)
link XMLID_34_ hasn't been detected!
link XMLID_34_ hasn't been detected!                                                                                                                                   
link XMLID_36_ hasn't been detected!                                                                                                                                   
plasma-desktop(5991)/kdecore (services) KServiceFactory::findServiceByDesktopPath: "/usr/share/applications/kde4/dolphin.desktop" not found                             
plasma-desktop(5991)/kdecore (services) KServiceFactory::findServiceByDesktopPath: "systemsettings" not found                                                           
Object::connect: No such signal QDBusAbstractInterface::Changed()                                                                                                       
plasma-desktop(5991)/kdecore (services) KServiceFactory::findServiceByDesktopPath: "/home/snvv/.kde/share/apps/RecentDocuments/Stock_Market_Forum_Cypros.PPT.desktop" not found
plasma-desktop(5991)/kdecore (services) KServiceFactory::findServiceByDesktopPath: "/home/snvv/.kde/share/apps/RecentDocuments/ΧΑΡΤΟΦΥΛΑΚΙΟ1.ppt.desktop" not found
plasma-desktop(5991)/kdecore (services) KServiceFactory::findServiceByDesktopPath: "/home/snvv/.kde/share/apps/RecentDocuments/ch16.ppt.desktop" not found
plasma-desktop(5991)/kdecore (services) KServiceFactory::findServiceByDesktopPath: "/home/snvv/.kde/share/apps/RecentDocuments/Πρόγραμμα Μαθημάτων 20-2012.doc.desktop" not found
plasma-desktop(5991)/kdecore (services) KServiceFactory::findServiceByDesktopPath: "/home/snvv/.kde/share/apps/RecentDocuments/FM-Lect-Cost-of-Capital.tex.desktop" not found
plasma-desktop(5991)/kdecore (services) KServiceFactory::findServiceByDesktopPath: "/home/snvv/.kde/share/apps/RecentDocuments/FM-Lect-Capital-Budgeting.tex.desktop" not found
plasma-desktop(5991)/kdecore (services) KServiceFactory::findServiceByDesktopPath: "/home/snvv/.kde/share/apps/RecentDocuments/Ch-6.doc.desktop" not found
plasma-desktop(5991)/kdecore (services) KServiceFactory::findServiceByDesktopPath: "/home/snvv/.kde/share/apps/RecentDocuments/Ch-5.doc.desktop" not found
plasma-desktop(5991)/kdecore (services) KServiceFactory::findServiceByDesktopPath: "/home/snvv/.kde/share/apps/RecentDocuments/Ch-5.pdf.desktop" not found
plasma-desktop(5991)/kdecore (services) KServiceFactory::findServiceByDesktopPath: "/home/snvv/.kde/share/apps/RecentDocuments/Ch-4.doc.desktop" not found
plasma-desktop(5991)/kdecore (services) KServiceFactory::findServiceByDesktopPath: "" not found

and the panel was misplaced again.
I will try the delete option
regards
snvv

snvvOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 29.10.2011, 14:17

Ok I deleted all plasm* and recreated the panel. After configuring it I restarted X and it stays in place.

I will make a script to copy those new created files in ../config every time I use a projector.

Thank you.
snvv

piperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 29.10.2011, 17:26

Glad something worked Smile

Quote:
Comment #4 from Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo>
while annoying and technically incorrect this:

"Invalid D-BUS interface name 'org.kde.plasma-desktop.PlasmaApp' found while
parsing introspection"

is harmless. the hyphen in the name technically violates the dbus spec, but the