View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
scanagarOffline
Post subject: Permanent Change of Hostname [SOLVED]  PostPosted: 28.10.2011, 11:42

Hi:
This is an extension of my post of Changing Hostnames. Thanks to slh for pointing me to the earlier posts.

All of them, as far as I can make out, report that they were
unable to change the hostname permanently by change /etc/hostname. After reboot, the old name reappears.

In fact, I have had a further change. This morning, when I booted up, my name was new-host-4, not new-host-2. I also noticed that the IP had changed slightly, I think from 192.168.1.3 to 192.168.1.7. So, it may have something to do
with dhcp, as has been suggested in the posts. I have not been
successful on getting on that from google. I tried putting the hostname in /etc/hosts, but that was not successful either.

The problem is, that whatever I do, the next time I boot the computer comes up with a name that I did not put in any
the files /etc/hosname, /etc/mail /etc/hosts. How does one change this bahvior so that the computer permanently gets its name from /etc/hostname?

Thanks.

Sebastian Canagaratna

Reply with quote Back to top
piperOffline
Post subject: RE: Permanent Change of Hostname  PostPosted: 28.10.2011, 23:06

Does your ISP provide a host name by any chance ? (there are some that still do this)

Using a router ?

scanagarOffline
Post subject: SOLVED[PERMANENT CHANGE oF HOSTNAME  PostPosted: 29.10.2011, 02:11

I followed slh's advice and removed from dhclient.conf
not the whole stanza, but just the hostname from the request
stanza and now /etc/hostname is being read correctly.

Thanks

Jump to: