View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
wahfunOffline
Post subject: Autologin as user in xfce  PostPosted: 22.09.2011, 14:51

I have just installed aptosid 2011-02(previous ubu user) and am trying to learn how to do things. One of the things I usually do is set the system to automatically login as the user since this pc is in a secure location.

I have tried running various combinations of systemsettings but to no avail. I have tried going to system>login screen but on that dialog screen am unable to 'click to make changes' which I assume unlocks this screen. I would think it would ask for the root password but clicking on the lock icon does nothing.

The manual talks about KDE but I don't seem to find anything for Xfce. Googling hasn't produced anything either.

Will keep looking but if someone can save me some time I would appreciate it.

thx in advance.

Reply with quote Back to top
piperOffline
Post subject: RE: Autologin as user in xfce  PostPosted: 22.09.2011, 18:48

Bug#636104: support autologin

http://www.mail-archive.com/debian-bugs ... 34074.html

http://www.google.com/search?q=Bug%2363 ... +autologin

holgerbOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 29.10.2011, 21:03

@piper: Do your think that it makes more sense to point out to feature requests which I not going to be implemented by a coder of the graphical login manager used for aptosid or does it make more sense to point out working solutions for the requested functionality ?

@wahfun:
      Quote:

Googling hasn't produced anything either.

That is actually very hard to believe....
If I enter "xfce auto login" into my Google searchbar I get somthing like 28k results and pretty much the second or third link gives me a solution.

But this just as a side note. In general there are at least two approaches for automated login with XFCE.
1) You use a different graphical login manager (e.g. gdm) which supports automatical login. This should be the easiest way to achieve your aim but translates to wasting resources since we start a login manager but do not really need it.
2) Use mingetty for an automated login of a certain user at system startup. XFCE is then started as part of the user login process.
The disadvantage is that you can not shutdown the PC with the native logout menu but this is possible with some simple modifications. Here is a short howto on this topic for xubuntu which should work for aptosid as well since both distris are Debian-based.
http://xubuntu.wordpress.com/2006/07/13 ... n-manager/

I prefer 2) over 1) because no graphical login manager is required anymore.

As for aptosid not providing an auto login feature:
Personally I do not understand what this fuzz about auto login is all about or more specifially why someone does not provide a out-off-the-box solution for this similar to Xubuntu ?
Especially for Media PCs and "Family" PCs a user login is pretty overkill.

slamOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 30.10.2011, 05:59
Team Member

Auto-Login is never overkill. Even if you are the only person using a machine, you usually do not want (invited or unwanted) guests to have direct access to your data.

If you really insist on it, simply use one of the login managers supporting it, e.g. slim. In any case, dirty $buntu hacks are not supported and not recommended at Aptosid/Debian Sid, please do not promote them in our forums as a "solution".

Greetings,
Chris

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
holgerbOffline
22 Post subject:   PostPosted: 30.10.2011, 09:55

Chris,

Quote:

Even if you are the only person using a machine, you usually do not want (invited or unwanted) guests to have direct access to your data.

True, but if someone asks for autologin he/she is hopefully aware of possible security issues. For a media PC there should normally be no security issues.
For a home PC which is shared by a family you can have other approaches to secure your data or to be more exact to avoid data loss.

Quote:

If you really insist on it, simply use one of the login managers supporting it, e.g. slim.

True, as stated above I've mentioned this option. If you use slim or GDM in the second place makes no big difference.
IMO this what piper should have pointed out in the first place. Refering to not fulfilled feature requests does not help to solve a problem one has, right ?

Quote:

In any case, dirty $buntu hacks are not supported and not recommended at Aptosid/Debian Sid,

Interesting formulations....
1) This is not "dirty" hack:
Linux is all about choice or as a the old byword says: "There is more than one road to Rome"
The approach I reference is simply a combination of different tools and techniques to solve a problem. As we all do everyday as typical users.
2) I've used the same thing on Sabayon without issues and it works well on arch also.

Quote:

please do not promote them in our forums as a "solution".

I respect this and will not further do this. I only stopped by and tried to help. Aptosid is none of the main distribs I use anyway.
Let me ask two questions:
1) What means "our" forums to you ? Our like yours ? Or our like yours and mine ? Over at the arch forum "our" has been always been like yours and mine Smile
2) What I described / linked to enables a user to solve his problem. So this is a solution, right ? No need to devalue the options other point out.

In the end I do not know what puzzles me more:
That the questions of a end-user is not answered by a forum mod or that I am somewhat asked not to provide "crude hacks" to solve it ?

Strange world.....

Regards,
-H

slamOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 30.10.2011, 19:41
Team Member

Hacking files which are intended to be changed by dpkg/apt only are "dirty" hacks. the rest is polemic talk I will not add to anything.
Greetings,
Chris

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
piperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 31.10.2011, 08:52

Quote:

Interesting formulations....
1) This is not "dirty" hack:
Linux is all about choice or as a the old byword says: "There is more than one road to Rome"
The approach I reference is simply a combination of different tools and techniques to solve a problem. As we all do everyday as typical users.
2) I've used the same thing on Sabayon without issues and it works well on arch also.

Try going to IRC and ask the same question. I am very interested in the replies, and please post the log.

#debian
#gentoo

I highly doubt they will recommend the ubuntu dirty hack
Ubuntu is not even binary compatible with debian

holgerbOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 01.11.2011, 19:25

Chris,

my writing is as "polemic" as your statement of a "dirty Ubuntu hack". A technical attached person should be able to formulate without adding a negative touch. If you write "modification of system configuration files which should only be changed by system tools is not supported by the aptosid staff" this would be perfectly right, but tagging something as dirty and even more funny as something distribution XYZ specific is childish. IMO this shows bad attitude and some sort of fan-boyism for the own distribution.

I expect anyone with more than three brain cells to
a) understand what a rolling distribution means
and
b) being aware that any modification done to any system-specific configuration files means the likelyhood to break things.

So pointing out such a hack should not turn off anyone using a rolling release distribution. A least I would not ask in an official forum of distribution XYZ if the update fails after I have altered system config files.

@piper:
      Quote:

Try going to IRC and ask the same question. I am very interested in the replies, and please post the log.
#debian
#gentoo

I did not ask a question, didn't I ?
But in general I doubt that gentoo folk will have a hard time if someone suggests "hacking" a.k.a. modifying any system configuration files.
Especially since gentoo (similar to arch) is considered a hands-on distribution. There is a lot of hacking there Smile

Quote:

I highly doubt they will recommend the ubuntu dirty hack

Even if you are in doubt, the "hack" is neither dirty, nor Ubuntu-specific.

Quote:

May be, and what value does this information have here ?
Let me add another "valuable" information: The night is dark !

After all there has been enough prove to me that here is more interest in territorial pissing than helping other peoples.

"Our" is "our" as in yOURs Razz

Wasted nough time here,
-H
a.k.a.
the dirty Linux h@ck€r

slamOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 01.11.2011, 21:01
Team Member

This leads nowhere.
We - the Aptosid team - provide and support a Linux distribution. Our support depends on following Debian and Aptosid policies. Yes, this is "our" support forum - like it or not.
Anyone insisting on his own policies is free to hack his system to death, no problem with that. But we do not accept such hacks to be presented to our users (who depend on and demand official support from us) in our forums as valid solutions.
I hope this makes my previous posts clear. I have moved this topic to our special "User Scripts & Dragons" section, where we offer a place to discuss such hacks, without support or responsiblity from the Aptosid team. Feel free to go on here, but please keep in mind our forum rules.
Greetings,
Chris

piperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 02.11.2011, 09:50

Quote:
After all there has been enough prove to me that here is more interest in territorial pissing than helping other peoples

You call doing a "dirty hack" instead of a clean solution pissing people off, we call it not harming your operating system "if" you want support, if not hack away, alot of people here depend on stability, not hacks, especially from ...

Quote:

May be, and what value does this information have here ?

WOW, If you had to ask this, I am done on this thread period

michaaa62Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 02.11.2011, 13:15

@piper and slam: Ignore me!
@holgerb: The zombies are coming back, and back, and... back!
They seem not to know mingetty and it options, they also seem to ignore the sudo command, since the *buntu (mad!) presets gave it some foul taste, both are just linux tools!

What can you say any more???

holgerbOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 02.11.2011, 21:53

dear piper,

piper wrote:
WOW, If you had to ask this, I am done on this thread period

You still do not get it...don't ya ? As first solution I pin-pointed using a graphical login manager which provides autologin, didn't I ?
This does not break any system files (literaly speaking) and to my best knowledge is something a forum mod should have be mentioned rather than digging out any feature requests.

Nothing more, nothing less....

People who talk about breaking things simply because I modify system scripts scare me to death...really....

michaaa62 wrote:
@holgerb: The zombies are coming back, and back, and... back!

Then we should do what they do in the movies: Shoot them in the brain Smile

michaaa62 wrote:

They seem not to know mingetty and it options, they also seem to ignore the sudo command, since the *buntu (mad!) presets gave it some foul taste, both are just linux tools!
What can you say any more???

All is good....Ubuntu is bad....using the Linux tool chain is bad....

Peace folks !

The Linux universe has enough space.... Razz

slamOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 03.11.2011, 01:52
Team Member

there is really nothing more to say to answer the topic, and answers have gone far away already from topic. Closed.
Greetings,
Chris

Jump to: