View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
someoneanywhereOffline
15 Post subject: [done] How to change keyboard recognition?  PostPosted: 03.11.2011, 20:15

Hello, I changed my keyboard from an old SGI Onyx/Cobalt 104 key US to a much newer SGI UK (Great Britain) keyboard. Neither of the keyboards are usb. I'd thought it would be auto detected and request layout info, alas not so. The keys respond to the old layout.
System is current update aptosid kde, xfce, gnome all in there, all respond the same way. I tried KDE system settings but nothing changed...(yes, I did do the trusty updatedb and reboot). so help point me in the correct direction please.

Last edited by someoneanywhere on 04.11.2011, 04:45; edited 1 time in total

Reply with quote Back to top
seagullOffline
Post subject: RE: How to change keyboard recognition?  PostPosted: 03.11.2011, 22:16

as root:

# dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration

may help you.

slhOffline
Post subject: RE: How to change keyboard recognition?  PostPosted: 04.11.2011, 00:14

A keyboard controller (its electronics) don't know what has been printed on its keys[1], it just sends its keycodes and leaves the interpretation to the OS - so you can't avoid to tell it your keyboard type.

[1] it's not rare that the keyboard layout changes way after production, by replacing a few key caps or putting different stickers on the keys.

someoneanywhereOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: How to change keyboard recognition?  PostPosted: 04.11.2011, 04:43

slh wrote:
A keyboard controller (its electronics) don't know what has been printed on its keys[1], it just sends its keycodes and leaves the interpretation to the OS - so you can't avoid to tell it your keyboard type.

[1] it's not rare that the keyboard layout changes way after production, by replacing a few key caps or putting different stickers on the keys.

Yes, indeed you are correct. That older SGI Onyx keyboard had several sets of stickers overlaying them. Some were mapped CAD short cuts, others were Ukrainian characters. Finally the well used and loved keyboard failed (some keys would not return (the membrane switch stayed closed). I had simply forgotten about dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration.

As you say, one has to be smarter than the device, and remember how they actually work.
I got the correct layout set by selecting Honeywell Euroboard through dpkg-regonfigure keyboard-configuration.
Now if I can get kde to switch layouts between UK and UA I´ll be happy. I think I may have to start from a clean kde profile though as this one has much leftover kde3 stuff which of course now doe not work.

someoneanywhereOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: How to change keyboard recognition?  PostPosted: 04.11.2011, 04:44

seagull wrote:
as root:

# dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration

may help you.

It did. Thank you.

Jump to: