View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
LatOffline
22 Post subject: Recommended Multi propose printer  PostPosted: 03.11.2011, 01:48

I'm looking for a new fax-scanner-wireless printer. Years ago I would have recommended a HP ( I still have a 8years old ink printer working fine), but I've noticed newer HP printers use inks that last just a few uses.
What multi propose ink printers would you recommend for home use?

Reply with quote Back to top
slhOffline
Post subject: RE: Recommended Multi propose printer  PostPosted: 03.11.2011, 02:06

Without making a recommendation for any particular device, consider these features:
- postscript support or at least PCL5/ PCL6, stay aways from "host-based" GDI printers
- ethernet ports (wlan is often implemented in weird ways, windows applications needed for configuration, etc.)
- duplex support
- laser, if you don't need color/ photos
- the scanner component being supported by http://www.sane-project.org/sane-supported-devices.html, without 3rd party backends.

...it depends a lot on your actual use case, but those features go a long way towards a hassle-free device - which of those matter for you is something you'll have to decide.

--
Post scriptum:
- color lasers are still expensive, both the device and its consumables.
- some of these features may sound like overkill (postscript, duplex, laser), but once you have them, you'll never want to lose them again (postscript just works on any OS or architecture - but PCL isn't much worse, duplex is very nice once you get used to it and laser never dries up)

LatOffline
Post subject: RE: Recommended Multi propose printer  PostPosted: 03.11.2011, 02:23

Yes, I think you're right. It will be better a ethernet one.
I also agree with postcript or PCL5/6 since in the network there won't be a dedicated print server. Network will include a laptop, and embedded systems like a Nintendo Wii, a Bluray player, etc.
It has to be color. Not photo quality, but enough for presentable homework.
      Quote:
- the scanner component being supported by http://www.sane-project.org/sane-suppor ... ices.html, without 3rd party backends.

This is a must. I like to avoid the crapware they pack with their drivers

LatOffline
Post subject: RE: Recommended Multi propose printer  PostPosted: 03.11.2011, 02:33

Quote:
duplex is very nice once you get used to it
Duplex isn't working for me in Linux. Even thought CUPS says it's supported, I can't make it to work
      Code:
Driver:   HP Deskjet 845c, hpcups 3.11.7 (color, 2-sided printing)

Code:
Driver:   HP PSC 1500 Series, hpcups 3.11.5 (color, 2-sided printing)

NOTE: This is a different network that the one for the new printer I'm inquiring, also, those printers are connected to a centralized server. Could it be duplex doesn't work because the printers are connected thorough SAMBA?

slhOffline
Post subject: RE: Recommended Multi propose printer  PostPosted: 03.11.2011, 02:41

Duplex can work under linux/ CUPS - at least it does for me with a networked postscript3 b&w LED printer, both using direct IPP access and samba; it needs to be properly specified in the PPD though.

belzeOffline
Post subject: RE: Recommended Multi propose printer  PostPosted: 03.11.2011, 10:53

i have a samsung lan printer, the only mess is configuring it with their drivers. I use it with duplex support. It has no scanner, so i can't recommend it to you Wink

detaosOffline
Post subject: RE: Recommended Multi propose printer  PostPosted: 03.11.2011, 20:21
Team Member

the hp officejet 6500A plus is a printer/scanner/fax with functional duplex printing in linux Smile

LatOffline
Post subject: RE: Recommended Multi propose printer  PostPosted: 23.12.2011, 14:23

I ended up buying an EPSPON WorkForce 645 http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/jsp/ ... C11CB86201

- Scanner works out of the box with xsane
- To added it to CUPS I installed printer-driver-escpr
- Only complain is that if I want to print-to-fax I have to use Windows

DeepDayzeOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Recommended Multi propose printer  PostPosted: 23.12.2011, 23:07

Lat wrote:
I ended up buying an EPSPON WorkForce 645 http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/jsp/ ... C11CB86201

- Scanner works out of the box with xsane
- To added it to CUPS I installed printer-driver-escpr
- Only complain is that if I want to print-to-fax I have to use Windows

I'd simply do it the old fashioned way and print out the documents to fax, particularly those kind of documents you'd have to sign anyway

snvvOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 02.01.2012, 17:52

I got the E260dn. It is a network printer that works out of the box in aptosid.

http://www1.lexmark.com/US/en/catalog/p ... rodId=4617

Jump to: