View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
elzorroOffline
Post subject: Last upgrade a disaster, ext4 broke  PostPosted: 06.11.2011, 02:44

Last upgrade 3 weeks ago broke aptosid,
ext4 broke down, fsck could not fix it, nor could pmagic,lots of drdy's etc on attempting to boot. Had to go to Europe, so it waited 'till got home.
Nothing wrong with the drive, so gave up and lost some stuff and reformatted.
Guess I'll wait 'till next release too many warnings at present.
Regardz
El Zorro

Last edited by elzorro on 06.11.2011, 06:01; edited 1 time in total

Reply with quote Back to top
seasonsOffline
Post subject: RE: Last upgrade a disaster, ext4 broke  PostPosted: 06.11.2011, 02:52

So what exactly was the issue? This is a subforum for warning other users about upgraded packages that don't work as they should. Posting about an unspecified package you upgraded 3 weeks ago isn't exactly helpful for a distro where users often upgrade on a weekly or even daily basis...

elzorroOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Last upgrade a disaster, ext4 broke  PostPosted: 06.11.2011, 05:59

Let me explain further for what it is worth
I had to go to Europe suddenly, due to a close relative's death, and was away for 3 weeks,
Aptosid too was dead when I returned and booted up presumably after the upgrade 3 weeks before it was still going then when I closed it down, so beats me, but to me Sid ext4 format seems a liability. I blame the upgrade playing havoc with the filesystem, This may be no issue I guess to some but it was to me.
I am writing this in Kubuntu 11.10, itself based on unstable, and residing in the same partition that destroyed itself as aptosid after many previous rolling upgrades dual booting with MS. MS still survives too.
Regardz

seasons wrote:
So what exactly was the issue? This is a subforum for warning other users about upgraded packages that don't work as they should. Posting about an unspecified "packages ++" you upgraded 3 weeks ago isn't exactly helpful for a distro where users often upgrade on a weekly or even daily basis...

slamOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Last upgrade a disaster, ext4 broke  PostPosted: 06.11.2011, 07:00
Team Member

This is an unspecified report of problems with unknown reasons, there are no known problems with ext4 related upgrades at all. Moved to "Software".
Greetings,
Chris

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
alexkOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Last upgrade a disaster, ext4 broke  PostPosted: 09.11.2011, 16:48

Linux ATA wiki may help with troubleshooting.

Jump to: