View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
LanziOffline
Post subject: Lightwight Aptosid for VDR  PostPosted: 30.09.2011, 12:34

I would like to build/ install a new VDR (new system - only VDR use). I got a new Board and a nice htpc-case and I am looking for a distro.

I always was using ct-VDR, but it seems to be a dead horse.
Since I only use aptosid on my computers, and I like to have actual kernels, I think now about using Debian/Sid-Aptosid.
I will use a TT-FF6400 DVBs2 with HDMI-out, so IO do not need an X-server.

How do I make it lighter?
Install xcfe and then remove everything from xcfe? Would that work?

Reply with quote Back to top
slhOffline
Post subject: RE: Lightwight Aptosid for VDR  PostPosted: 30.09.2011, 12:48

Installing these packages from Debian/main will give you a pretty decent VDR installation (xineliboutput isn't needed for fullfeatured cards, of course):
      Code:
libxine1-xvdr                   Xine input plugin for vdr-plugin-xineliboutput streams
vdr                             Video Disk Recorder for DVB cards
vdr-plugin-epgsearch            VDR plugin that provides extensive EPG searching capabilities
vdr-plugin-femon                DVB frontend status monitor plugin for VDR
vdr-plugin-live                 Web administration plugin for VDR
vdr-plugin-osdteletext          Teletext plugin for VDR
vdr-plugin-xineliboutput        VDR plugin for Xine based sofdevice frontends
xineliboutput-sxfe              Remote X-Server frontend for vdr-plugin-xineliboutput

VDR itself doesn't need many ressources, neither does a desktop environment you don't actively use - so just pick the flavour you're most familiar with. The rest depends a lot on your intended use case and the planned hardware; however the XFCE flavours are easier to strip down, of course.

orinocoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 06.11.2011, 12:52

Hi Lanzi,

I use c't-vdr (based on lenny), too. It works and that's okay for me. Aptosid may be a little bit "dangerous" for such a "mission critical task". Dangerous in case of describe my girlfriend that I (she) missed to record her favourite soap because of some d-u trouble. Never ignore the waf (womens acceptance factor) (:

My next vdr will be like this one based on squezze: http://www.e-tobi.net/blog/category/ct-vdr. If you use c't VDR I think you can handle german language.

slamOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 06.11.2011, 13:10
Team Member

orinoco wrote:
Hi Lanzi,

I use c't-vdr (based on lenny), too. It works and that's okay for me. Aptosid may be a little bit "dangerous" for such a "mission critical task". Dangerous in case of describe my girlfriend that I (she) missed to record her favourite soap because of some d-u trouble. Never ignore the waf (womens acceptance factor) (:

My next vdr will be like this one based on squezze: http://www.e-tobi.net/blog/category/ct-vdr. If you use c't VDR I think you can handle german language.
Feel free to do with your system whatever you want, but this forum is not the place to propagate Debian stable based solutions. People who are asking at Aptosid have a reason - they want Debian sid, and OT made that already clear. Add that the topic was already answered fully, no need to add a boring squeeze alternative.

Greetings,
Chris

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
Jump to: