View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
diblOffline
Post subject: googleearth-package 64-bit  PostPosted: 05.11.2011, 19:13

Ver. 0.6.1, 64-bit

Does not produce a .deb package.

Line 355 of the script at /usr/bin/make-googleearth-package looks like this:

Code:
Depends: ttf-dejavu | ttf-bitstream-vera | msttcorefonts, lsb-core, libqtcore4, libgl1-mesa-glx, $depends $ia32libs

If you edit it like this:

Code:
Depends: ttf-dejavu | ttf-bitstream-vera | msttcorefonts, lsb-core, libqtcore4, libgl1-mesa-glx, $depends ia32-libs

then it will work correctly.

Reply with quote Back to top
alexkOffline
Post subject: RE: googleearth-package 64-bit  PostPosted: 05.11.2011, 19:50

Google also makes 64 bit Debian packages available. If you install one, it will also configure a repository automatically:
      Code:
cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/google-earth.list
### THIS FILE IS AUTOMATICALLY CONFIGURED ###
# You may comment out this entry, but any other modifications may be lost.
deb http://dl.google.com/linux/earth/deb/ stable main

However, the Google deb package won't replace the package created by googleearth-package, as they have different names, so you may want to remove one package before installing the other. It may also be possible to have 2 different simultaneous versions of GE like this. The latest 64 bit 6.1 version seems to work well here.

slamOffline
Post subject: RE: googleearth-package 64-bit  PostPosted: 06.11.2011, 06:38
Team Member

alexk wrote:
Google also makes 64 bit Debian packages available. If you install one, it will also configure a repository automatically...
Don't do that!
The googleearth-package from Debian builds a fitting package for Aptosid/Debian sid, while the packages from the Google repository are built against Debian stable. And you should never keep 3rd party repositories in your sources, as they can easily introduce breakages with dist-upgrades.

The bug in googleearth-package is the result of the multiarch changes in Debian sid and will be fixed shortly (see here). Meanwhile use the temporary fix provided by dibl above.

Greetings,
Chris

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
alexkOffline
Post subject: RE: googleearth-package 64-bit  PostPosted: 06.11.2011, 18:19

slam wrote:
Don't do that!

OK, sorry, I agree with this warning, this is "user dragon" stuff, it may break your system, due to differences between Debian stable and unstable, as well as 3rd party repositories possibly overwriting packages during upgrades without custom apt-pinning, etc.

I tried the fix for the make-googleearth-package script. I couldn't find any page that makes GoogleEarthLinux.bin available, only the direct link to the file that the make-googleearth-package script uses, so I just issued the "make-googleearth-package" command without arguments, letting it download the file. It downloaded a slightly older 6.0.3.2197+0.6.0-1 version, but it seems to work well, though this process only worked correctly after I first removed the Google Earth version from from the Google repository.

Jump to: