View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
oddballOffline
Post subject: lost power during d-u  PostPosted: 16.11.2011, 11:22

Did d-u on several boxes today, one of them lost power in the end of the d-u I think. Will not boot now, stops with
      Code:
grub rescue>
Can I do something to repair this?

Reply with quote Back to top
DonKultOffline
Post subject: RE: lost power during d-u  PostPosted: 16.11.2011, 12:55
Team Member

Boot from a live cd or alike (any linux system) and chroot into your system (you want to bind-mount a few things before into the chroot, like /dev and /dev/pts). Then run 'dpkg --configure -a' and after that try 'apt-get dist-upgrade' again. Maybe you have to add -f (aka --fix-broken) flag, depending on how the dpkg command worked out before (but you will notice this, apt will complain about that in that case).

After finishing the d-u this way your system should be bootable again and work as usual.

slhOffline
Post subject: RE: lost power during d-u  PostPosted: 16.11.2011, 13:11

The manual has more info about chroot based (grub-) fixing and the required virtual filesystems in particular.

belzeOffline
Post subject: RE: lost power during d-u  PostPosted: 16.11.2011, 13:27

aptosid manual is the BEST resource to rescue a system using live-cd and chroot. I used it several times, and things like these make me proud to use aptosid! Thanks to manual maintainers!

oddballOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: lost power during d-u  PostPosted: 16.11.2011, 15:39

DonKult wrote:
Boot from a live cd or alike (any linux system) and chroot into your system (you want to bind-mount a few things before into the chroot, like /dev and /dev/pts). Then run 'dpkg --configure -a' and after that try 'apt-get dist-upgrade' again. Maybe you have to add -f (aka --fix-broken) flag, depending on how the dpkg command worked out before (but you will notice this, apt will complain about that in that case).

After finishing the d-u this way your system should be bootable again and work as usual.
I did all above by following the first part of the manual about reinstalling grub, it didn't work only with completing d-u but after reinstalling grub everything is back to normal Smile

Very much thank you for the help and the good manual

DeepDayzeOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: lost power during d-u  PostPosted: 16.11.2011, 18:03

After you fixed grub you should be able to clean up apt as noted above once you boot back to your normal system. Glad you got your system back at least as losing power during d-u's (particularly when apt is installing packages) is quite irksome.

Jump to: