View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
sebOffline
Post subject: Iceweasel rendering problem  PostPosted: 18.11.2011, 08:05

Hi,

I'm encoutering a strange problem with iceweasel rendering a few sites badly, while I have no problem with Firefox (downloaded from Mozilla web site).

A typical website that does not work out is
http://www.unimes.fr/fr/index.html
With Iceweasel, all the text below the toolbar is pushed to the right. With Firefox, using exactly the same profile (including extensions), the website is displayed correctly. Diabling extensions has no effect on the problem in iceweasel.

I'm running iceweasel 8.0-3, but the problem was already there in versions 7 and 6.

I'm running firefox directly from the directory after downloading the archive from Mozilla web site, so the problem could be due to differences in some of the libraries between those installed on my system and those shipped with firefox.

Any ideas?

Seb

Reply with quote Back to top
piperOffline
Post subject: RE: Iceweasel rendering problem  PostPosted: 18.11.2011, 10:19

That website (http://www.unimes.fr/fr/index.html) has the same rendering problem (all the text below the toolbar is pushed to the right) with firefox also, both version 8 and with nightly (Mozilla/5.0 X11; Linux x86_64; rv:11.0a1 Gecko/20111116 Firefox/11.0a1 ID:20111116030946).

Works fine in rekonq (one of my favorite browsers) or konq itself

sebOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 18.11.2011, 10:31

On my system, the rendering problem is specific to iceweasel. I also tested this particular website on another computer running linux mint debian with firefox, and I had no problem there either. This is very weird.

I have similar problems with other websites, for instance the frontend to a fortinet vpn server that my company uses. Going to the server's address only gives a blank page on iceweasel, but a login box is displayed on firefox, chromium, and other browsers I tried.

piperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 18.11.2011, 10:36

In regular debian stable and here (aptosid), I have that rendering problem with both iceweasel and firefox, it doesn't matter.

Could it be extensions ? I don't know, this weekend I might do a new build and test with a both clean iceweasel and firefox, I really don't think it will make a difference though.

On the other hand, glad you don't have that problem Wink

sebOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 18.11.2011, 10:53

I doubt this is an extension problem (I run both firefox and iceweasel with the same profile and further disabling extensions has no effect).
I noticed that iceweasel spits out this warning when loading the unimes website
GLib-GObject-WARNING **: g_object_get_property: object class `GtkToggleButton' has no property named `has-frame'
so I thought it could be due to the gtk theme used, but changing the gtk theme had no effect: the warning disappeared, but the rendering problem in iceweasel was still there.

manulOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 18.11.2011, 17:19

I do not seem to have an issue with this site (or, I do not get what the issue is?).
Iceweasel 8.0.3.
Screenshot attached.

iceweasel:
Installed: 8.0-3
Candidate: 8.0-3
Version table:
*** 8.0-3 0
500 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ sid/main amd64 Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

iceweasel.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  67.5 KB
 Viewed:  5802 Time(s)

iceweasel.jpeg

sebOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 18.11.2011, 20:41

indeed, you don't have the problem I observe... Well, this is strange. The three tests so far give three different outcomes. I have the feeling it is not going to be easy to find what is causing this rendering issue.

manulOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 18.11.2011, 21:06

Could be due to something in preferences or about:config, which we all change sometimes, and it gets migrated from version to version. For example, font dependent (my web fonts are preset to 15/14 size Tahoma).
If someone can test on stock plain install (i.e. also delete/rename .mozilla directory after uninstall) it should give repeatable results.

Jump to: