View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
oddballOffline
Post subject: usb sound?  PostPosted: 19.11.2011, 01:21

I have an old Thinkpad that I want to use for playing music from various sources like mp3 from hard disk or streaming from Internet . The sound device is not good and do not produce very good sound. There are various small usb sound adapters to bye. Are they producing a good sound and will it work with aptosid? (I will use external amplifier and speakers.) Suggestions?

Reply with quote Back to top
diblOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 19.11.2011, 14:02

Are you sure the poor sound is caused by the audio chip, and not the speakers? If the poor quality is caused by the speakers, then a different audio device will not make a difference. Just my thought.

oddballOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 19.11.2011, 16:22

dibl wrote:
Are you sure the poor sound is caused by the audio chip, and not the speakers? If the poor quality is caused by the speakers, then a different audio device will not make a difference. Just my thought.
I'm already using extremal amplifier and speakers, the audio chip is bad or at least not good enough.

diblOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 19.11.2011, 17:48

There is a snd_usb_audio kernel module that works fine for my USB webcam microphone, but I cannot testify about the quality on anther device, through an amplifier.

oddballOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 23.11.2011, 17:10

Thanks dibl for your words, nobody else have experience of this? Anyway I did bought a Sanberg USB Sound Box 7.1 and it worked out of the box. I had to configure audacious preferences to use the USB sound card as output.

dptOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 25.11.2011, 12:43

With my desktop I use Clip-on speakers clipped on top of the monitor. USB cable from speakers for power only. The audio output socket
(the analog headphone socket) is used for audio to the mini speakers (can be plugged into any audio amplifier input).

Sounds great.

dpt

Jump to: