View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
doctordruidphdOffline
Post subject: [solved] no sound - sound card disappeared from phonon  PostPosted: 26.11.2011, 18:21

I have two soundcards, one that I use for the system (internal) and a xfi that only gets used as a radio interface, not for system/audio playing.

All was working fine until a couple of days ago. For some reason, the "should phonon forget about these devices" dialog appeared. I must have clicked the wrong button, for now, my internal sound card cannot be found in kde:

system settings > multimedia > phonon

So I have no sound. All kmixer shows is "dummy output".

the card is there in the "audio capture" part, but not in the "audio output" list. All that's in the output list is pulseaudio sound server (which I do not use, got dragged in by installing gnome), my internal sound card is not listed. Worse, in pulseuadio's pavuucontrol, only the xfi is listed.

Now in alsamixer, the internal sound card is listed correctly. It just won't do anything.

How do I get phonon to re-scan the available cards? This happens whether I use gtreamer, xine, or vlc backends. Reset doesn't do anything. If I select the card in Audio Output Devices, and click the "apply settings to" button, and check all the boxes, it still won't show up in output devices.

Last edited by doctordruidphd on 26.11.2011, 18:58; edited 1 time in total

Reply with quote Back to top
doctordruidphdOffline
Post subject: RE: no sound - sound card disappeared from phonon  PostPosted: 26.11.2011, 18:57

solved, the problem was the pulseaudio package. I removed it, and all is well. I don't know what the fallout for using gnome will be, maybe gnome and kde just won't play together on the same system after all.

Reply with quote Back to top
Jump to: