View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
alexkOffline
Post subject: [solved] Virt-manager networking error  PostPosted: 27.11.2011, 04:46

I tried virt-manager along with kvm for the first time, installing libvirt-bin as well. When trying to start limited networking for the guest (I'm on a wireless network) virt-manager kept on erroring out with a dnsmasq command:
      Code:
Could not start virtual network 'default': internal error Child process (/usr/sbin/dnsmasq --strict-order --bind-interfaces --pid-file=/var/run/libvirt/network/default.pid --conf-file= --except-interface lo --listen-address 192.168.122.1 --dhcp-range 192.168.122.2,192.168.122.254 --dhcp-leasefile=/var/lib/libvirt/dnsmasq/default.leases --dhcp-lease-max=253 --dhcp-no-override) status unexpected: exit status 1

Apt-getting dnsmasq solved this, which makes me wonder why it or dnsmasq-base aren't dependencies. Packaging error? Otherwise, this combo is working well, though I haven't yet looked into using USB.

Reply with quote Back to top
DonKultOffline
Post subject: RE: Virt-manager networking error (solved)  PostPosted: 27.11.2011, 07:42
Team Member

libvirt-bin Recommends it, along with a bunch of other stuff you might or might not need.

apt-get should have told you while installing which packages are recommend/suggested to install to. If you want all of these displayed ones installed add --install-recommends to the commandline.

Installation of Recommnds can be enabled by default - in fact it is enabled in Debian (for a long time), but disabled in aptosid as package maintainers are usually not that good at deciding what should be a depends and what a recommends or only a suggets… The result is that a lot more packages are installed which you are not really need - but possibly cause trouble in a dist-upgrade… (for debian stable on the other hand, that's a none-issue)

DeepDayzeOffline
Post subject: RE: Virt-manager networking error (solved)  PostPosted: 27.11.2011, 14:54

You might not need to install all the recommends for your particular needs as you might end up with a lot of unnecessary packages as DonKult mentioned. To fix your particular problem all you needed was that dnsmasq pckage. of course if virt-manager whined about something else that it needs just get that package

alexkOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Virt-manager networking error (solved)  PostPosted: 27.11.2011, 15:28

DonKult wrote:
libvirt-bin Recommends it

I missed that. It would be nice to have a command that showed all packages that recommend a certain package (like an rrecommends option to apt-cache ...). I guess this is another reason to read error messages. I only realized I didn't have dnsmasq when I tried the command.

DonKultOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Virt-manager networking error (solved)  PostPosted: 27.11.2011, 21:29
Team Member

alexk wrote:
      DonKult wrote:
libvirt-bin Recommends it

I missed that. It would be nice to have a command that showed all packages that recommend a certain package (like an rrecommends option to apt-cache ...).

Okay, it's not that easy to type, but such a command actually exists:
      Code:
$ apt-cache rdepends dnsmasq-base -o APT::Cache::ShowDependencyType=1 --important --no-depends --recommends
dnsmasq-base
Reverse Depends:
  Recommends: network-manager
  Recommends: libvirt-bin

I don't know if i should be proud or ashamed that i can write that straight out of muscle memory… Wink
(okay, as the daddy of this feature, i properly love even my ugliest kid)

spockOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Virt-manager networking error (solved)  PostPosted: 28.11.2011, 01:11

Nonsense! All your progeny are beautiful! Very Happy
And now even easier to type when pasted inside ~/.bashrc...

Code:
# These are for everyone to play with, but only root gets to install/upgrade
alias ash='apt-cache show'
alias asho='aptitude show'
alias asrc='apt-cache search'
alias aser='aptitude search'
alias apol='apt-cache policy'
# This one by apt Master DonKult:
# http://aptosid.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&p=12805#12805
alias pak='apt-get dist-upgrade -o Debug::NoLocking=1 --trivial-only '
alias adep='apt-cache depends'
alias ardep='apt-cache rdepends'
# This one also by apt Master DonKult:
# http://aptosid.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&p=13065#13065
alias arr='apt-cache rdepends -o APT::Cache::ShowDependencyType=1 --important --no-depends --recommends'

Everybody say arr! Very Happy

And in /root/.bashrc:
      Code:

alias aupd='apt-get update'
alias aupg='apt-get upgrade'
alias adis='apt-get dist-upgrade'
alias pax='apt-get -d dist-upgrade'
alias ains='apt-get install --install-recommends'
alias apur='apt-get purge'
alias acle='apt-get clean'

spockOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Virt-manager networking error (solved)  PostPosted: 28.11.2011, 01:19

spock wrote:
And in /root/.bashrc:
      Code:

alias aupd='apt-get update'
alias aupg='apt-get upgrade'
alias adis='apt-get dist-upgrade'
[...]

Oops! Embarassed That was from my Debian Stable machine. My aptosid machines override that alias in another file:

Code:
alias aupg='echo "!!! apt-get upgrade is not used on aptosid !!!"'

Sorry for OT... Arrow Idea

alexkOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Virt-manager networking error (solved)  PostPosted: 02.12.2011, 03:53

Thanks for the 'rrecommends' command. I also found out that the wajig wrapper can do this, though it gives duplicate results:
      Code:
wajig dependents dnsmasq-base
d dnsmasq
r libvirt-bin
r network-manager
d nova-network
r libvirt-bin
d dnsmasq
r network-manager

Jump to: