View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
belzeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 11.11.2011, 00:03

well...i still watch all debian-kde debian-qt-kde pkg-kde mailing list: no news.
i still watch for a git commit... last was more than 2 weeks ago...
it will be ready when it will be ready. but there is a bug in a system library, search it with apt-cache: libcommunication-packagers-users-4.7.3-0 have i to fill a bug report?
[the truth is that we - aptosid users - are used to have an answer when we ask something to aptosid's devs]

Reply with quote Back to top
SantaOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 25.11.2011, 14:50

Quote:

well...i still watch all debian-kde debian-qt-kde pkg-kde mailing list: no news.
i still watch for a git commit... last was more than 2 weeks ago...

I bet there are people here who is not susbcribed to pkg-kde-commits, so, please, be careful with what you are saying. Your message was written on November 11th and there are some commits pushed in the previous 2 weeks.

Quote:

it will be ready when it will be ready. but there is a bug in a system library, search it with apt-cache: libcommunication-packagers-users-4.7.3-0 have i to fill a bug report?
[the truth is that we - aptosid users - are used to have an answer when we ask something to aptosid's devs]

In first place, It's a free software project, version control systems are readable by anyone and you also have the pkg-kde-commits mailing list. If you don't know what's going on with the development it's your fault, not ours.

In second place, if you are wondering why usually guys asking in irc or mailing lists

* when will be kde sc uploaded
    * what's the "status" of kde packages
    * whats the "plan" wrt to the latest kde sc stable release

are silently ignored by me, and why I am, in general, so silent about our work, you can find the answer in moronic conversations like this:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-kde/2009 ... 00025.html
Don't miss the replies.

Note that we are busy developing and the point of the Debian Qt/KDE team is producing packages, not producing useless messages in a mailing list.

belzeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 25.11.2011, 16:38

woha, i'm sorry! i didn't know of pkg-kde-commits mailing list. I looked at it, and it is not easy to understand what every commit does. Can you explain me how can i use all that bits to understand where are the stoppers for kde 4.7? How can i know what kind of work still to be done? nobody want to slow you down. If you find that answering my questions is a waste of time, don't answer me.
thank you.

arwaOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 26.11.2011, 12:43

Well, Santa, I just agree 50%. The other half is the point of view of a user (a none developer). If it becomes an adventure to find information where to find hints for constructing an own status report it is clear that users do not find what the kde packaging status is like. So they ask. If you do not want people to ask for the current status, then just write down a monthly short report somewhere where a user can find it.

I have searched the web several times for some information of the kde packing status and never found some hints. IMHO there should be a note on
http://qt-kde.debian.net/
or
http://pkg-kde.alioth.debian.org/

I do not understand the info that are presented on http://packages.qa.debian.org/k/kdebase.html
and if I follow the commit messages, I could see what did happen, but I do not see what still is to be done.

What I would like to read is an estimation if packaging will need another 2 or 3 weeks, or if 4.7 will never show up in debian/sid because you might want to wait for 4.8? I do not want a promise that KDE4.7 will be released into debian/sid on a concrete date like the xth of december.

Regarding the question why people ask for the packaging status: It is not because they demand on something. It is because of interest and anticipation. If I have problems with KDE and I have read that some issues have been fixed in a more recent version, and that performance has been tuned, I am very curious to test a new version. Also currently it is impossible for me to write bug reports, as IMHO it does not make sense to report issues of KDE 4.6 as 4.8 is coming out in some weeks. I have tried to compile KDE trunk for some month now, but since 4.7 this has become so complicated that I did not manage to get a really working version.

Greetings,
arwa

belzeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 27.11.2011, 14:35

arwa wrote:
What I would like to read is an estimation if packaging will need another 2 or 3 weeks

said that this is impossible to precide, i think it would better to know what has to be done yet in order to get kde 4.7 into sid/experimental/snapshots. We (or me at least) don't wont no eta al all.
Please make informations easer to find.
And if this is impossibile, we don't mind, we love your work, really! So thank you, again.

belzeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 27.11.2011, 17:28

KDE 4.7 in qt-debian-kde experimental repo
http://lists.debian.org/debian-kde/2011 ... 00018.html
currently only on amd64.

arwaOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 28.11.2011, 07:20

Yeah! Great to see such a big step forward. I hope to find the time for upgrading this evening.

iotakaOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 28.11.2011, 09:13

Installed, seems work.

I used:
      Code:
apt-get -t experimental-snapshots dist-upgrade

instead of:
      Code:
aptitude -t experimental-snapshots upgrade

belzeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 28.11.2011, 12:44

had someone tried it? how does it work? i'm still waiting for i386.

Mte90Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 28.11.2011, 15:55

i've installed kde 4.7.2 by repo and work without problems.
Razz

diblOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 28.11.2011, 16:03

Mte90 wrote:
i've installed kde 4.7.2 by repo and work without problems.
Razz

Is krunner working to launch in "kdesu" mode? Here it won't launch anything as "kdesu". Otherwise things seem to be working.

EDIT: After a reboot, krunner is accepting "kdesu" commands as expected.

Last edited by dibl on 28.11.2011, 21:53; edited 1 time in total

pumrelOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 28.11.2011, 21:41

dibl wrote:

Is krunner working to launch in "kdesu" mode? Here it won't launch anything as "kdesu". Otherwise things seem to be working.

Hi, it works for me.

arwaOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 30.11.2011, 07:41

FYI: The i386 packages are available, too, since yesterday.

DeepDayzeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 30.11.2011, 14:26

I'm considering trying this as well...people who have installed the new KDE let us know about any bugs as well as any workarounds. As I have tested KDE 4.7.3 in Sabayon and found it rather slow, I hope that these Debian packages will be better

arwaOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 30.11.2011, 14:30

I have dist-upgraded a 64bit machine to KDE4.7. Until now I could not find any problems. The speed is fine, but the machine is very fast anyway (Sandy-Bridge i7).

Jump to: