View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
finottiOffline
Post subject: moving HD  PostPosted: 03.12.2011, 15:53

Dear all,

This is similar to a recent post, but...

I have a Lenovo T520 with a SSD. I'd like to temporarily move this SSD to a new Lenovo W520. I tried to follow previous instructions and edited fstab and reinstalled grub. But the w520 cannot boot from the SSD... (It sees it, but cannot boot. It gives a screen to choose booting device.)

I guess that the crucial difference is that the w520 uses EFI, while the t520 does not.

Is there a easy and reversible way to do it? I'm trying to avoid a new install...

Thanks,

Luis

Reply with quote Back to top
slhOffline
Post subject: RE: moving HD  PostPosted: 03.12.2011, 16:00

To the best of my knowledge, there are no (non-Apple) UEFI implementations without BIOS personality yet - so just disable UEFI support in your 'BIOS' screens; even the most 'progressive'/ retarded mainboard manufacturers still need to offer that option to allow booting from Windows XP.

finottiOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: moving HD  PostPosted: 04.12.2011, 18:23

slh wrote:
To the best of my knowledge, there are no (non-Apple) UEFI implementations without BIOS personality yet - so just disable UEFI support in your 'BIOS' screens; even the most 'progressive'/ retarded mainboard manufacturers still need to offer that option to allow booting from Windows XP.

Thanks, slh. I tried that, and it did not work...

I don't know if it means anything, but boot starts with

Code:

Initializing Intel Boot Agent GE v1.3.66
PXE 2.1 Bulid 089 (wfM 2.0)

Then,

Code:

Initializing and establishing link...

PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
PXE-M0FL Exiting Intel Boot Agent.

It then presents me with a screen to choose boot device, but if I choose the SSD, it goes back to the same screen.

The SSD still works fine in my t520 and the original HD works fine in the w520. Any further insight or suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Luis

slhOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: moving HD  PostPosted: 04.12.2011, 19:58

Some BIOSes only consider disks with an 'active' partition to be bootable (which is totally against every specification, but still reality), so you may have to add a boot flag to your partition (only works for MSDOS partition tables, not GPT).

finottiOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: moving HD  PostPosted: 05.12.2011, 12:37

slh wrote:
Some BIOSes only consider disks with an 'active' partition to be bootable (which is totally against every specification, but still reality), so you may have to add a boot flag to your partition (only works for MSDOS partition tables, not GPT).

This might very well be the case, as the SSD was partition using GPT... I will just give up now and make a new installation.

Thank you very much for your help!

Best,

Luis

renzo99Offline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: moving HD  PostPosted: 04.01.2012, 11:02

Hi, i have same problem in past and i solved it by reinstaling BIOS.
Good luck.
virtuves baldai pagal uzsakyma

Jump to: