View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
krisbeeOffline
Post subject: Reboot after changing m/board?  PostPosted: 28.11.2011, 12:22

I'm about to change the m/board/CPU/RAM on my PC, while everything else will stay the same.

Is it possible to reboot aptosid without needing to re-install? If so, what steps are needed for a successful reboot?

I will not use the on-board sound nor any form of RAID, nor on-board graphics.

The obvious thing I can think of is the need to re-generate the persistent udev rule entries for the onboard network interface, i.e just comment out the old ones. The other thing I can think of is the possible need to re-generate the initramfs. Something like:

Code:
update-initramfs -u -k all

Assuming this can be done, is there anything else?

Reply with quote Back to top
bfreeOffline
Post subject: RE: Reboot after changing m/board?  PostPosted: 28.11.2011, 16:17
Team Member

I think the persistent udev data is the only think you normally have to deal with (and even that isn't vital if you don't mind having say eth1 and no eth0).

In general, but not in your case by the sound of it, the only other common concern might be any custom xorg configuration if you were changing graphics card or monitor(s), though that can usually be easily be fixed by booting straight into run-level 3 and then just moving any xorg.conf or xorg.conf.d snippets out of the way before continuing to run-level 5.

krisbeeOffline
Post subject: RE: Reboot after changing m/board?  PostPosted: 28.11.2011, 17:26

I'll check my xorg configuration, but I don't think it's customised. If that's all then it should (famous last words) be straightforward.

DonKultOffline
Post subject: RE: Reboot after changing m/board?  PostPosted: 28.11.2011, 18:48
Team Member

You don't seem to do that, but in case another one stumbles upon this thread: If you change harddrives, keep in mind to change the UUID(s) in /etc/fstab! Grub needs to be updated, too, so it knows which harddisk/partition root is on.

Regarding xserver: By default xserver-xorg-video-all and xserver-xorg-input-all are installed on your system, but they might be removed in the meantime by you. Just make sure you have at least the needed video-driver installed.

Just think about this: If it would be hard to move a linux system from one hardware piece to another, how would a livecd work?

alexkOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Reboot after changing m/board?  PostPosted: 28.11.2011, 19:52

DonKult wrote:
Just think about this: If it would be hard to move a linux system from one hardware piece to another, how would a livecd work?

Agreed. My recent motherboard/CPU/RAM replacement, from AMD socket 939 to Intel 1155 without a reinstall, was very smooth. And I'm using on-board graphics and sound.

DeepDayzeOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Reboot after changing m/board?  PostPosted: 28.11.2011, 22:14

I have successfully moved a Linux install to a new mobo in the past and the same cannot be said about Windows Wink

snvvOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 30.11.2011, 15:36

I did that a few days ago.

I moved a HD with aptosid from a PC with burned motherboard to a new and totally different PC and it runs happily Smile

Regards
snvv

krisbeeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 03.12.2011, 09:32

Thanks for everyone's input. Point taken about LiveCDs, and of course Linux is superior to Windows in so many ways.

Anyway, the job is done without a hitch and just the udev net rules to fix. The comment about /etc/fstab reminded me the simplest way to do this was to use an aptosid LiveCD and copy the udev net rules from there.

I have just to opitmise the BIOS settings now, particularly the system voltages as the Phenom II x4 960T is not behaving as expected and it looks like I might have to use K10stat to get as I want. For now, it is undervolted and idles at 1.12Vcore 800MHz and can run at 3000MHz with a Vcore of 1.25V. It seems to run cool and quiet.

My hardware/software profile is now:
      Code:

infobash -v3
Host/Kernel/OS  "sweep" running Linux 3.1-0.slh.6-aptosid-amd64 x86_64 [ aptosid 2011-02 Ἡμέρα - kde-full - (201107131633) ]
CPU Info        4x AMD Phenom II X4 960T 512 KB cache flags( sse3 ht nx lm svm ) clocked at [ 800.000 MHz ]
Videocard       nVidia GT218 [GeForce 210]  X.Org 1.11.1.902  [ 1280x1024@50.0hz ]
Network cards   Realtek RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit
                Realtek RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+
Processes 138 | Uptime 32min | Memory 1060.1/7989.1MB | HDD Hitachi HDT72502 Size 250GB (7%used) | GLX Renderer GeForce 210/PCI/SSE2 | GLX Version 3.3.0 NVIDIA 290.10 | Client Shell | Infobash v3.37
chris@sweep:~$ infobash -v3
Host/Kernel/OS  "sweep" running Linux 3.1-0.slh.6-aptosid-amd64 x86_64 [ aptosid 2011-02 Ἡμέρα - kde-full - (201107131633) ]
CPU Info        4x AMD Phenom II X4 960T 512 KB cache flags( sse3 ht nx lm svm ) clocked at [ 800.000 MHz ]
Videocard       nVidia GT218 [GeForce 210]  X.Org 1.11.1.902  [ 1280x1024@50.0hz ]
Network cards   Realtek RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit
                Realtek RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+
Processes 138 | Uptime 32min | Memory 1004.4/7989.1MB | HDD Hitachi HDT72502 Size 250GB (7%used) | GLX Renderer GeForce 210/PCI/SSE2 | GLX Version 3.3.0 NVIDIA 290.10 | Client Shell | Infobash v3.37

alexkOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 03.12.2011, 20:32

If you rename /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-cd.rules it gets regenerated, but how would you do the same for 70-persistent-net.rules, instead of just editing the interface names in the file and commenting old hardware, or copying it from the liveCD generated version?

krisbeeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 04.12.2011, 08:34

alexk wrote:
If you rename /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-cd.rules it gets regenerated, but how would you do the same for 70-persistent-net.rules, instead of just editing the interface names in the file and commenting old hardware, or copying it from the liveCD generated version?

A good question, and since you asked I found some answers on the web, but cannot say if they work or which is the best approach.

slhOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 04.12.2011, 15:00

Don't rename these files (they stay in the way and may interfere seriously), delete them (they'll be regenerated anyways).

DeepDayzeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 04.12.2011, 15:30

slh wrote:
Don't rename these files (they stay in the way and may interfere seriously), delete them (they'll be regenerated anyways).

What about *moving* the files to your home directory if you just want to have the security of a backup in case something goes awry?

DonKultOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 04.12.2011, 20:31
Team Member

DeepDayze wrote:
      slh wrote:

What about *moving* the files to your home directory if you just want to have the security of a backup in case something goes awry?

Obviously you can do that - it's your machine, do what you want -, the sense behind a backup of non-working files is just not that obvious, at least for me, but as you please… Wink

alexkOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 04.12.2011, 22:19

DonKult wrote:
      DeepDayze wrote:

Obviously you can do that - it's your machine, do what you want -, the sense behind a backup of non-working files is just not that obvious, at least for me, but as you please… Wink

I deleted my old persistent-cd.rules file and edited the persistent-net.rules file. Never a problem keeping a backup in a non-system folder, of course. May also come in handy if you put removed hardware back in a machine. I still don't know how to generate a persistent-net.rules file automagically.

dptOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 11.12.2011, 09:16

I would reinstall.
To have fresh & clean OS and save time.

Have a nice day.

dpt

Jump to: