View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
aptpostleOffline
15 Post subject: [Solved] After DU KDE wants to replace my alsa sound devices  PostPosted: 06.09.2011, 03:16

After DU to 3.0-4.slh.2-aptosid-686 it appears the alsa devices have been changed.
VLC and **removed** work fine for normal audio output but the HDMI audio output no longer works. VLC and **removed** video works fine as well.

KDE suggests I remove the following ALSA devices:

Capture: HDA Intel (ALC272 Analog)
Output: HDA ATI HDMI (HDMI 0) #3
Output: HDA Intel (ALC272 Analog)

The following new devices are found in phonon.

Capture: HDA Intel (ALC272 Analog)
Output: HDA ATI HDMI,HDMI 0 (HDMI Audio Output)
Output: HDA Intel (ALC272 Analog)
Output: HDA ATI HDMI,(HDMI 0)

VLC and **removed** audio options for alsa only show the old device "HDA ATI HDMI,(HDMI 0)" for HDMI

Going back to the previous kernel fixes the problem. javascript:emoticon('Smile')
Should I actually remove the old alsa devices as suggested by KDE or should I wait for the repositories to get sorted out? javascript:emoticon('Confused')

Last edited by aptpostle on 08.12.2011, 18:26; edited 1 time in total

Reply with quote Back to top
piperOffline
Post subject: RE: After DU KDE wants to replace my also sound devices  PostPosted: 06.09.2011, 06:42

Where are you getting this message in kde ? systemsettings ?

I du'd a few hours ago on 2 machines and all went well

I have not du'd this machine yet

Code:
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  nvidia-glx xserver-xorg-video-nvidia
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  libfile-fnmatch-perl libp11-kit0 linux-headers-3.0-4.slh.2-aptosid-amd64 linux-image-3.0-4.slh.2-aptosid-amd64
The following packages have been kept back:
  gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg mozilla-plugin-vlc vlc vlc-nox
The following packages will be upgraded:
  amarok amarok-utils bzip2 cpp-4.6 debsums ed ffmpegthumbnailer g++-4.6 gcc-4.6 gcc-4.6-base grub-common grub-efi-amd64-bin
  grub-pc grub-pc-bin grub2-common grub2-fll-fromiso hpijs hpijs-ppds hplip hplip-cups hplip-data icedove ifplugd iso-codes kmix
  lib32bz2-1.0 lib32gcc1 lib32stdc++6 libaccess-bridge-java libaccess-bridge-java-jni libarchive1 libbz2-1.0 libcurses-ui-perl
  libcv2.1 libdate-manip-perl libdbusmenu-qt2 libdvbpsi7 libffi5 libffmpegthumbnailer4 libgail18 libgcc1 libgcrypt11
  libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0 libgfortran3 libgl1-nvidia-alternatives libgl1-nvidia-glx libglx-nvidia-alternatives libgnutls26 libgomp1
  libgpod4-nogtk libgtk2.0-0 libgtk2.0-common libhpmud0 libkcddb4 libmodplug1 libnotify4 libnss3-1d libquadmath0 libsane-hpaio
  libstdc++6 libstdc++6-4.6-dev libvlc5 libvlccore4 libx264-116 linux-headers-2.6-aptosid-amd64 linux-headers-aptosid-amd64
  linux-image-2.6-aptosid-amd64 linux-image-aptosid-amd64 mplayerthumbs nvidia-alternative nvidia-kernel-source
  nvidia-vdpau-driver openjdk-6-jre openjdk-6-jre-headless openjdk-6-jre-lib rsyslog tzdata tzdata-java
78 upgraded, 4 newly installed, 2 to remove and 4 not upgraded.
Need to get 170 MB of archives.
After this operation, 146 MB of additional disk space will be used.

arwaOffline
Post subject: RE: After DU KDE wants to replace my also sound devices  PostPosted: 06.09.2011, 07:20

If audio hardware has changed, KDE will bring a popup requester right after startup of KDE that asks to remove the obsolete audio device settings. In the system settings you see these grayed out.

aptpostleOffline
Post subject: RE: After DU KDE wants to replace my alsa sound devices  PostPosted: 06.09.2011, 15:03

Piper: The message about removing the devices popped up when I was in KDE. The pop-up seemed to happen after I tried to launch a multimedia program eg VLC or mplayer2. The devices to be removed were greyed out in System settings/Phonon.
After your dist upgrade were you able get audio through your HDMI connection?

Arwa: I have not made any changes to my audio devices, as evidenced by my HDMI audio still working if I boot the previous kernel

LatOffline
Post subject: RE: After DU KDE wants to replace my alsa sound devices  PostPosted: 10.09.2011, 15:47

I've seen it in machine of mine that used a USB sound card. It is a KDE dialog box asking you to choice to forget about "an old audio card". I always select to forget the old one and sound works fine

LatOffline
Post subject: RE: After DU KDE wants to replace my alsa sound devices  PostPosted: 10.09.2011, 15:48

It usually appears after I've used Virtualbox (since it is an USB card, I'm guessing KDE handed the card to virtualbox,then virtualbox is "returning" it to KDE, idk)

slamOffline
Post subject: RE: After DU KDE wants to replace my alsa sound devices  PostPosted: 10.09.2011, 17:16
Team Member

It does also turn up if a web cam with integrated micro is plugged in/out - many of them do have a micro build in, while many people are not aware of that.
Greetings,
Chris

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
aptpostleOffline
Post subject: [solved] After DU KDE wants to replace my alsa sound devices  PostPosted: 05.12.2011, 06:22

Because of a potential conflict with the open source radeon driver, ATI HDMI devices are disabled in kernel 3.0 (so this was a dist upgrade issue after all)
The solution is to edit /etc/default/grub by adding "radeon.audio=1" to the line:

Code:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet"

so it reads:
      Code:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet radeon.audio=1"

after saving /etc/default/grub
      Code:
update-grub

You may need to reboot.

dptOffline
Post subject: RE: [solved] After DU KDE wants to replace my alsa sound dev  PostPosted: 05.12.2011, 12:15

After my last due a few weeks back (64-bit KDE), I do not even get the log in screen. Keep getting lines after
lines- so many that I am waiting for the new release.

The 3rd release, can I expect it in 2011 and have a Happy New Year?

And please put in the names in English too, till date I do not know the name of the last one that conked out (2011-2)

Have a nice day.

dpt

Jump to: