View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
diblOffline
Post subject: Audio volume weirdness  PostPosted: 08.12.2011, 21:29

Since d-u this morning, audio volume is reduced -- turning up volume in alsamixer and pavucontrol can partially offset the effect, but not fully. Radiotray, flash, and audio players are all affected. My audio is Intel HDA and has worked flawlessly for a year. There have been no hardware or software changes to my system since it was working normally. I'm going to check my other desktop and a netbook to see if it has affected those also. Anyone else seeing this?

Code:
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) HD Audio Controller

From lsmod:
      Code:
snd                    47679  26 snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_usb_audio,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_hwdep,snd_seq_dummy,snd_usbmidi_lib,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq,snd_timer,snd_seq_device

Code:
Host/Kernel/OS  "imerabox" running Linux 3.1-4.slh.7-aptosid-amd64 x86_64 [ aptosid 2011-02 Ἡμέρα - kde-lite - (201107131633) ]
CPU Info        8x Intel Core i7 950 @ 8192 KB cache flags( sse3 ht nx lm vmx ) clocked at [ 1600.000 MHz ]
Videocard       nVidia GF100 [GeForce GTX 480]  X.Org 1.11.2.901  [ 1920x1200@50.0hz ]
Network cards   Marvell 88E8056 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller, at port: d800
Processes 296 | Uptime 7:10 | Memory 1152.5/5966.5MB | HDD OCZ-REVODRIVE,OCZ-REVODRIVE,WDC WD1002FAEX-0,WDC WD1002FAEX-0,KINGSTON SS100S2 Size 2136GB (3%used) | GLX Renderer GeForce GTX 480/PCI/SSE2 | GLX Version 4.2.0 NVIDIA 290.10 | Client Shell | Infobash v3.37

EDIT: Upon thinking about who was visiting my house last night, perhaps my speaker volume was turned down with the mechanical volume control .... Embarassed

Reply with quote Back to top
snvvOffline
Post subject: Re: Audio volume weirdness  PostPosted: 09.12.2011, 14:22

dibl wrote:

EDIT: Upon thinking about who was visiting my house last night, perhaps my speaker volume was turned down with the mechanical volume control .... Embarassed

/offtopic mode on
This is a serious bug that may hit all of us at any time. :p Smile
offtopic mode off /

DonKultOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: Audio volume weirdness  PostPosted: 09.12.2011, 16:36
Team Member

Regarding bug: I will never understand why UI-Designers think it makes sense to display a big red cross over the speaker button if i have turned it off, but the indicator for Volume '0%' is either not different to the '100%' one or the difference is minor. It's the same result after all: I can't hear anything!

I would think it would make way more sense to display the same or a slightly different on compared to the 'off' icon instead, but i am not a Designer and use a text-message instead, telling me either percents or 'OFF', but i am a freak anyway. Wink

Jump to: