View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
titanOffline
Post subject: Netbook recommendation  PostPosted: 10.12.2011, 17:20

I have been looking for a reasonable quality netbook for my wife. I intend to just remove the hdd with Win7 starter and install Aptosid Xfce on the machine. It will be just for mail and browsing. I have read loads of reviews and when I think I have found the right one then find a poor review of the same model and am just going round in circles, I am beginning to think there is little to choose between any of them, any recommendations would be welcome.

Thanks

Reply with quote Back to top
DonKultOffline
Post subject: RE: Netbook recommendation  PostPosted: 10.12.2011, 20:42
Team Member

First, define what you mean by netbook, then someone with such a device might have a recommendation.

Regarding review: Reviews can be of different quality… No offense, but i usually discard Windows and Ubuntu reviews right from the start. They are most of time not detailed enough… (just like general distroreviews which tend to be reviews of the installer… a piece of software you use exactly one time…

Oh btw, there should be hardware available with no or some (strange) linux-flavour pre-installed. My current laptop (acer aspire 5749) comes by default with Meego - this CAN be an indication that the hardware works with linux (it doesn't have to be).

Looking at the hardware and checking that e.g. WLan is supported by the kernel is usually better. As the requirements are low a slightly older piece could be better. Recent hardware tends to have more issues at times.

titanOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Netbook recommendation  PostPosted: 10.12.2011, 22:01

DonKult wrote:
First, define what you mean by netbook, then someone with such a device might have a recommendation.

A netbook is already defined quite clearly, usually a 10" screen and atom processor. I was not asking for a review of the operating system as I don't intend to use it, just what hardware is reliable and suitable for aptosid, seems a simple request to me.

DonKultOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Netbook recommendation  PostPosted: 11.12.2011, 01:23
Team Member

titan wrote:
A netbook is already defined quite clearly

Thats interesting, then i search on amazon for 'netbook' the first hit is a 12" netbook and it's not the only one with an "unusual" size…
To quote wikipedia: "netbooks have ranged in size from below 5" screen diagonal[3] to 12".[4]". So, indeed, well defined. Wink

Atom - is that just because many recent ones have it, or really a requirement? AMD's or older Intel's (aka Pentiums) should have similar specs.

(I don't have such a thing, so no actual recommends on anything)

slamOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Netbook recommendation  PostPosted: 11.12.2011, 08:31
Team Member

I use a Lenovo Ideapad s205 myself atm, and have sold several different Ideapads to my clients over the last years. They are cheap (starting at € 250,00) if you get the series without Windows, just FreeDos preinstalled. The entire Ideapad series does work perfectly with Aptosid, and the hardware is solid and reliable. XFCE is not needed, they all work well with a full KDE version of Aptosid.
Greetings,
Chris

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
Nick_NitroOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 14.12.2011, 19:54

I use Aptosid on a acer aspire one 522.
It's a 10" with a dual core AMD C60 proc. and i can say it works perfectly.

npfpOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 28.12.2011, 12:02

Hello,
I'm using an older 7"-netbook (Asus Eee-701), attached at an DIGITUS-Docking-station (several USB-Ports, cable-network, hdmi, multi-cardreader) together with an external Monitor. It's my main machine, working very well with aptosid (customnised LXDE out-of the XFCE-version), running at 630MHz (Celeron mobile). I got it for 111,- Euro in best refurbished state at amazon.de .

wiarus_oldOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 28.12.2011, 17:59

I'm just going to prepare some info about installing aptosid on EeePC 1215B (12.1" AMD Brazos dual core).
I think it will take about 2 or 3 days, so wait a minute please Smile

Jump to: