View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
leoshareOffline
Post subject: Iceweasel / firefox KDE integration  PostPosted: 17.12.2011, 00:32

Hello all,

I think that it's a common topic here, but I didn't find any post regarding my question, sorry if it was discussed in the past.

Issue description: After I've downloaded a file I can't "open" the file if I click in the "Downloads Window" of firefox.

I think that this occurs because of a lack of integration between firefox and KDE (file types/mime) but recently I saw that this problem doesn't occur with Opensuse.

I gathered some information and there are 2 packages that appears to solve this issue:
firefox-kde-opensuse(for OpenSuse) and also a firefox-kde-support(for Ubuntu).

Is there any solution available for Debian? Someone notice this problem ?

Thanks

Reply with quote Back to top
hubiOffline
Post subject: RE: Iceweasel / firefox KDE integration  PostPosted: 17.12.2011, 00:51

Sorry. I am of no help, I only can say: it works here. But I cannot remember that I have actively done anything. Well ... this installation is three years old, I tend to forget things. Have you looked in the mime types settings in iceweasel's preferences?

hubi

slamOffline
Post subject: RE: Iceweasel / firefox KDE integration  PostPosted: 17.12.2011, 08:05
Team Member

It works just fine with Iceweasel, the Firefox version adapted for and integrated in Debian. Please use this one.
Greetings,
Chris

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
leoshareOffline
Post subject: RE: Iceweasel / firefox KDE integration  PostPosted: 17.12.2011, 10:31

I'm using already iceweasel 8.0 here, and it doesn't "launch" the proper application(KDE file type association) when I double click in the file that I've downloaded.

When I double click what I see it's a window that asks me to "choose an application" for every file type, even with those that are correct assigned in the KDE (eg. the *.pdf files should be opened with okular but the iceweasel asks me every time and I need to put the entire path to okular executable to open it). This window appears to get the file type information from other source instead the KDE one(maybe gnome?).

I tried to delete the user profile (~/.mozilla) and reinstall iceweasel but without success...

Any other suggestions ?
Thanks

CaesarTjalboOffline
Post subject: RE: Iceweasel / firefox KDE integration  PostPosted: 17.12.2011, 12:29

A test could be to download a PDF and open it from a filebrowser (Konqueror, Dolphin etc.). Double clicking should open the file in Okular. This would merely show there's no issue with PDFs in KDE.

You can see Iceweasel's file associations in Edit, Preferences, tab Applictions. Under "Content type" should be "PDF file" and under "Action" something like "Always ask" or "Use Okular (default)". Re-installing Okular might fix a problem, imho more likely than re-installing Iceweasel would.

Also check if you have a valid directory for downloads set up in Iceweasel.

Fyi: I opened a few PDFs today, told Iceweasel to always perform that action for those kind of files and it did open Okular each time I clicked on a PDF.

leoshareOffline
Post subject: RE: Iceweasel / firefox KDE integration  PostPosted: 17.12.2011, 13:09

My problem is that all files are correctly associated in KDE(Dolphin file browser for example), but Iceweasel doesn't use those file type associations. This means that if I want to double click some file that I just had downloaded(Iceweasel Downloads window) I've to browse for the executable of the proper application manually.

Quote:
CaesarTjalbo:You can see Iceweasel's file associations in Edit, Preferences, tab Applictions. Under "Content type" should be "PDF file" and under "Action" something like "Always ask" or "Use Okular (default)".

Ok, if I enter in Iceweasel File Associations I can select other action, but I doesn't see any "Use xxx_application (default)", only "Always ask" or "Save File" or "Use other". The last option("Use other") let me browse to select the executable/application. The problem is that I will need to do this for all file types...

What I would like is that Iceweasel automatically uses my KDE/System File type associations...

hubiOffline
Post subject: RE: Iceweasel / firefox KDE integration  PostPosted: 17.12.2011, 13:53

In about:config you should see helpers.global_mime_type_file which should be set to /etc/mime.types, and latter file should be available. And there should be a /etc/mime.types.

As I said, it works here.

On the other hand: if you want to open a file which was only somewhere in /temp/ (you did not save it) and iceweasel was closed in the meantime but the file is still in the downloader's list - forget it, the file is not there anymore.

hubi

CaesarTjalboOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Iceweasel / firefox KDE integration  PostPosted: 17.12.2011, 18:55

leoshare wrote:
What I would like is that Iceweasel automatically uses my KDE/System File type associations...
There's something wrong on your system. When you open a PDF on the web, the standard action should be a dialog screen asking you what to do: save the file, open it in Okular/other. In other words: Iceweasel should know about Okular already, Iceweasel should see the connection between PDF and Okular.

You really do have the file associations correct in System Settings, File Associations?
Use the searchbar, PDFs are under "application" (pdf, x-bzpdf & x-gzpdf. x-xzpdf is empty on my system), in the "general" tab I have Okular as first in the "Application Preference Order", under "Embedding" I have "Use settings for 'application' group" on and in the "Services Preferences Order" list it says "Okular (okularpoppler)".
Also see hubi's post ^^.

Else: Try to change Preference, Applications for PDF: start Iceweasel from the commandline to see if it comes up with an error when you set the location to /usr/bin/okular. It's not the preferred way but if it fixes your problem, it's good enough.

leoshare wrote:
The problem is that I will need to do this for all file types...
Yes/no/maybe. Basically, your system should 'know' already about the default app for a given type of content. I can't tell you what when wrong when it doesn't but for a few of us it did work as advertized.
There's a set of media which you'll never use so you don't have a default application for it and you won't need to set it.

Then there are mime types which don't show up in that list. I don't see mp3 as Content Type but Iceweasel knew AlsaPlayer was an option to play it. It allowed me to set that as default with the promise that I could undo it in the Preferences, Applications screen. Well, I can't because mp3 still doesn't show in that list.

Also, I do see JPG in the list with "Always ask" as action. Iceweasel simply opens it in itself without a question.

You can navigate to a local location with Iceweasel: type a slash (/) in the address bar and the rest should be links, such as /home. It has a happy disregard for silly nonsense as hidden files but it makes it easy to test mime-types.

leoshareOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Iceweasel / firefox KDE integration  PostPosted: 18.12.2011, 11:51

hubi wrote:
In about:config you should see helpers.global_mime_type_file which should be set to /etc/mime.types, and latter file should be available. And there should be a /etc/mime.types.

I've checked these settings and all were ok.
      CaesarTjalbo wrote:
You really do have the file associations correct in System Settings, File Associations?

Yes it works flawless in dolphin and other KDE applications.

After some googling I discovered that xdg-open could be the key to solve my problem.
The interim solution that I'm using right now is:
-change the Iceweasel "Content Type: file" to use xdg-open application.

Now my problem seems to be resolved, as xdg-open "chooses" the proper application for each file type.

Could you please check how is the setting in your Iceweasel for the "Content Type" file? I just want to know if it uses the xdg-open too.

Thank you very much

CaesarTjalboOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Iceweasel / firefox KDE integration  PostPosted: 18.12.2011, 13:45

leoshare wrote:
Could you please check how is the setting in your Iceweasel for the "Content Type" file? I just want to know if it uses the xdg-open too.
Where do I have to look? In Iceweasel's Preferences, Applications I don't have a Content Type of just 'file'. I don't know where xdg-open gets its info from.

After a bit of digging I found that Iceweasel may get its info from /home/<user>/.mozilla/firefox/<number>.default/mimeTypes.rdf. It points to application/pdf, seemingly back to the standard settings for mime-types.

Jump to: