View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
clubexOffline
Post subject: [SOLVED] System lock after DU  PostPosted: 18.12.2011, 12:23

For me this mornings daily du locks up the system at the login page. The screen shows the login dialogue but the keyboard and mouse are not usable. A cold reset is the only option available but this only repeats the cycle. Any offers of help will be gratefully received because I am, at the moment, at a complete loss as to what to do.

The only things of note during the du was a reference to a libclutter bug which I didn't consider as significant and ignored and an offer to accept the maintainers version of mountkernfs.sh which I declined to accept thinking this was the safe thing to do(!).

Last edited by clubex on 19.12.2011, 14:21; edited 3 times in total

Reply with quote Back to top
clubexOffline
Post subject: RE: System lock after DU  PostPosted: 18.12.2011, 13:56

More clues which suggest the maintainers new version of mountkernfs,sh should have been taken.

During boot the terminal reports:

mountkernfs.sh usage: [start|stop]
error: argument "reload" not supported

The first report looks ominous as it looks like the usage has been changed in the new version.

So I guess I need a copy of the new version of mountkernfs.sh or modify the old one.

Any one know the differences between the old and new file?

towoOffline
Post subject: RE: System lock after DU  PostPosted: 18.12.2011, 14:35

Could it be, that you have installed xserver-xorg-core 2:1.11.99.1-1?

clubexOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 18.12.2011, 14:42

Towo:

Unfortunately I've go to be away from that machine for the afternoon. I'll have a look when I get back to it.

What difference would it make if it was installed?

towoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 18.12.2011, 14:56

Quote:

The difference would be, that xserver-xorg-input-evdev is gone.

clubexOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 18.12.2011, 15:36

towo wrote:
      Quote:

The difference would be, that xserver-xorg-input-evdev is gone.
So what you are saying is if xserver-xorg-input-evdev is gone then remove xserver-xorg-core 2:1.11.99.1-1 and re-install xserver-xorg-input-evdev?

DeepDayzeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 18.12.2011, 16:03

so was xserver-xorg-input-evdev removed as part of the DU? I haven't seen any removals in the DU I did last night. If so hopefully there will be a newer version that's compatible with the newer xorg packages in the repo soon

As for mountkernfs.sh I haven't been presented with a debconf dialog either. It sounds like the config for this script has changed to become incompatible with the original. So what package is this script part of?

EDIT: this is in initscripts package and I have updated this a few days ago and was not really presented with any dialogs for it.

Last edited by DeepDayze on 18.12.2011, 16:11; edited 1 time in total

clubexOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 18.12.2011, 16:08

I certainly didn't see anything removed in this morning's DU.

If mountkernfs.sh (via initscripts) isn't the cause of the lockup (or rather just no input devices maybe) I've no idea what's causing it.

DeepDayzeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 18.12.2011, 16:15

have you tried getting into single user mode? Perhaps then you can grep the logs to find anything related to mountkernel.sh and post up what you find so smart minds can help you find the problem and how to fix it.

Is this when starting X or going into init 3?

diblOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 18.12.2011, 16:26

This system is fully upgraded as of this morning (now) and is booting and running correctly. Nothing was removed during du. Here is the information for the 3 mentioned packages, FYI:

Code:
root@imerabox:/home/don# apt-cache policy initscripts
initscripts:
  Installed: 2.88dsf-16
  Candidate: 2.88dsf-16
  Version table:
 *** 2.88dsf-16 0
        500 http://cdn.debian.net/debian/ sid/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     2.88dsf-15 0
          1 http://cdn.debian.net/debian/ experimental/main amd64 Packages
root@imerabox:/home/don# apt-cache policy xserver-xorg.input-evdev
xserver-xorg-input-evdev:
  Installed: 1:2.6.0-2+b2
  Candidate: 1:2.6.0-2+b2
  Version table:
     1:2.6.0-3+b1 0
 *** 1:2.6.0-2+b2 0                                                                   
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status                                                       
xserver-xorg-input-evdev-dev:                                                         
  Installed: (none)                                                                   
  Candidate: 1:2.6.0-2                                                                 
  Version table:                                                                       
     1:2.6.0-3 0                                                                       
     1:2.6.0-2 0                                                                       
root@imerabox:/home/don# apt-cache policy xserver-xorg-core
xserver-xorg-core:                                                                     
  Installed: 2:1.11.2.902-1                                                           
  Candidate: 2:1.11.2.902-1                                                           
  Version table:                                                                       
     2:1.11.99.1-1 0                                                                   
 *** 2:1.11.2.902-1 0                                                                 
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

Code:
don@imerabox:~$ infobash -v3
Host/Kernel/OS  "imerabox" running Linux 3.1-5.slh.3-aptosid-amd64 x86_64 [ aptosid 2011-02 Ἡμέρα - kde-lite - (201107131633) ]
CPU Info        8x Intel Core i7 950 @ 8192 KB cache flags( sse3 ht nx lm vmx ) clocked at [ 1600.000 MHz ]
Videocard       nVidia GF100 [GeForce GTX 480]  X.Org 1.11.2.902  [ 1920x1200@50.0hz ]
Network cards   Marvell 88E8056 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller, at port: d800
Processes 303 | Uptime 24min | Memory 1143.2/5966.5MB | HDD OCZ-REVODRIVE,OCZ-REVODRIVE,WDC WD1002FAEX-0,WDC WD1002FAEX-0,KINGSTON SS100S2 Size 2136GB (2%used) | GLX Renderer GeForce GTX 480/PCI/SSE2 | GLX Version 4.2.0 NVIDIA 290.10 | Client Shell | Infobash v3.37

clubexOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 18.12.2011, 16:48

DeepDayze wrote:
      Quote:

have you tried getting into single user mode? Perhaps then you can grep the logs to find anything related to mountkernel.sh and post up what you find so smart minds can help you find the problem and how to fix it.

Is this when starting X or going into init 3?

I've not tried much as I haven't had the time (family pressure).
Not tried going into single user mode yet.

X seems to start as I can get to the KDE login dialogue. Then the keyboard mouse are inactive.

Thanks dibl: so it looks as if it's my problem alone.

I'll try more when I get back to that machine this evening, guys.

clubexOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 18.12.2011, 20:56

Found this in /ver/log/kdm.log

Quote:

(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.config"
(==) Using system config directorty "usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d"
klauncher (2083) kdemain: No DBUS session-bus found. Check if you have started the DBUS server.
kdeinit4: Communication error with Launcher. Exiting!
kdmgreet(1944) kdecore (K*TimeZONE*): KSystem Time Zones: Ktimezoned initialize() D-Bus called failed. "not connected to D-Bus serv$
kdmgreet(1944) kdecore (K*TimeZone*): No time zone information obtained from Ktimezoned.

and in /var/log/dmesg at the last line before a hard rest:

Quote:

tty_1_disc_hangup: waiting(init) for tty1 took too long, but we keep waiting.

I haven't checked out the kde4 startup scripts yet as haven't found out where they are.

All comments welcome.

Edit: I also notice there is no Nvidia splash when booting from cold.

slamOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 19.12.2011, 07:56
Team Member

As a user of the nvidia driver you need to manually reinstall the driver after kernel upgrades, and reinstall nvidia-glx after Xorg upgrades. See also the related page in our manuals.
Alternatively, use the free nouveau driver which does not have such problems with upgrades following this HowTo.
Greetings,
Chris

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
clubexOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 19.12.2011, 09:35

Slam:

Yes I do know that and it's been done. But it's a bit more serious. ps aux shows that dbus is not running. This suggests to me that something is wrong with initscripts, as I originally suspected. I'll be able to investigate more when I'm back on the machine this afternoon.

clubexOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 19.12.2011, 12:25

For all those who are still interested.

All back to normal.

I downgraded initscripts to testing, accepted the maintainer's version of mountkernfs.sh. Now dbus starts during boot and the system is up and running again.

At tomorrow's DU I'll let initscripts be upgraded to unstable and accept the mainainer's new version of mountkernfs.sh. I don't expect any problems.

Thanks to those who helped.

I can't remember how to mark this topic as solved. My apologies

Jump to: