View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
kenyeeOffline
Post subject: insserv msgs: "script xxxx missing LSB tags and overrid  PostPosted: 01.01.2012, 18:30

Finally decided to chase this down. When I do an update-rc.d or boot (this is an oldish system I've been continually updating), I get a lot of these msgs.
According to this site:
http://wiki.debian.org/LSBInitScripts/D ... yBasedBoot
they're just old cruft from old packages, so I just wanted to confirm that these are no longer needed by aptosid (the packages don't show up in the Lintian tag page they mentioned):

insserv: warning: script 'K01bind' missing LSB tags and overrides
insserv: warning: script 'S26isapnp' missing LSB tags and overrides
insserv: warning: script 'bind' missing LSB tags and overrides
insserv: warning: script 'wlan' missing LSB tags and overrides
insserv: warning: script 'live-reboot' missing LSB tags and overrides
insserv: warning: script 'live-autoconfig' missing LSB tags and overrides
insserv: warning: script 'isapnp' missing LSB tags and overrides
insserv: warning: script '855resolution' missing LSB tags and overrides
insserv: warning: script 'live-halt' missing LSB tags and overrides

Reply with quote Back to top
slhOffline
Post subject: RE: insserv msgs: "script xxxx missing LSB tags and ove  PostPosted: 01.01.2012, 18:47

There are several initscripts involved that are live only and must never end up on an installed system[1]. The fact that they are, indicates some serious, likely irreversible, damage to your system.

I would strongly recommend to backup the data, some selected configuration files and do a clean new install instead of trying to fix the issue - considering the damage, it's not really worth it.

The fact that you only mention these issues now, while dependency based booting and insserv are already default for more than 2.5 years indicates that your system wasn't upgraded over at least that time. Skipping at least the Debian squeeze release and likely even lenny (not to say the move to aptosid), this is a situation that is not fixable with reasonable efforts (and not at all anymore, given that the system didn't go through the transition to aptosid).

Doing a fresh new install and restoring your data and a few selected local configurations from $HOME and /etc/ (don't just copy such outdated legacy configs blindly) can be done in about half an hour, trying to rescue such an neglected system with serious damages will take much longer and won't provide satisfactory results, while remaining a source for endless numbers of subtile and 'unexplainable' problems in the future.

[1] The involved live-only packages are created in a way to deny installing/ upgrading on an installed system and the installer makes very sure that they are purged as part of the installation, therefore some serious force must have been involved that they did remain.

kenyeeOffline
Post subject: RE: insserv msgs: "script xxxx missing LSB tags and ove  PostPosted: 03.01.2012, 17:24

It was actually an ancient sidux install (back when it was still based off sid) that was switched to aptosid when you guys started it...and yes, I did upgrade through lenny/squeeze.
These are just old warnings that I thought would be fixed as each package got switched to dependency booting, but I thought I'd clean them up finally Smile
This system actually has behaved fairly well...only odd quirk is that ulimit can't be used to set the number of open (soft/hard) files to some big number.

Sounds like I can take most of them out...will make backups first. Thanks, slh.

x-un-i
Post subject: Re: RE: insserv msgs: "script xxxx missing LSB tags and  PostPosted: 03.01.2012, 17:41
Team Member

kenyee wrote:
It was actually an ancient sidux install (back when it was still based off sid) that was switched to aptosid when you guys started it...and yes, I did upgrade through lenny/squeeze.

hey aptosid is (always was) based on sid

Será que o diabo perdeu a virgindade?

kenyeeOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: insserv msgs: "script xxxx missing LSB tags and  PostPosted: 06.01.2012, 15:06

x-un-i wrote:

hey aptosid is (always was) based on sid

Hi x-uni-i,

FYI, I was talking about sidux. So a bit of long history (and shows you how long I've been upgrading this machine):

- sidux was based on sid w/ an active team (including slh) helping check for bad stuff so users wouldn't get hit w/ flaky stuff entering sid.
- the head of sidux reorganized and decided to be based on ubuntu
- the rest of the sidux team didn't like that decision and spawned aptosid which is still based on sid

I actually prefer sid, so I stuck w/ aptosid.
Installed ubuntu recently for a new mythtv box and it's not bad except their Unity desktop is bizarre (like you can hide the top panel so full screen mythtv playback always has a top status bar showing Smile

slamOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: insserv msgs: "script xxxx missing LSB tags and  PostPosted: 06.01.2012, 15:32
Team Member

kenyee wrote:
- the head of sidux reorganized and decided to be based on ubuntu
- the rest of the sidux team didn't like that decision and spawned aptosid which is still based on sid

Just to clarify the history here:
Our team started many years ago with Kanotix. After the founder of Kanotix decided to shift the bases away from Sid to Debian Stable (not Ubuntu!), the entire team decided to leave and created sidux.
Some years later, due to legal problems with the trade mark and domain names (and issues with the German sidux e.V.), sidux was simply re-named to aptosid. The entire team agreed on this decision. No "head" was involved, and also Ubuntu had nothing to do with it. No fork, split or any other change happend. So, aptosid is in fact sidux, just with a new name.
Greetings,
Chris

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
kenyeeOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: insserv msgs: "script xxxx missing LSB tags  PostPosted: 08.01.2012, 12:53

Thanks, slam/Chris. I had forgotten about Kanotix (this system was actually from back then)...mixed Kanotix up w/ Sidux Razz

Just shows how long it's really been and how long you can keep a system stable (even sid) by dist-upgrading when you have great guys like you and slh helping save us noobs... Smile

I think it's been nearly 10 yrs...or at least it feels that way according to my fuzzy memories Wink

kenyeeOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: insserv msgs: "script xxxx missing LSB tags  PostPosted: 18.01.2012, 14:00

forgot to follow up on this:

all those files are old kruft from kanotix and sidux except for bind. The bind maintainers haven't added LSB tags because other distros have different tags so they haven't figured out how to support all of them yet...

Jump to: