View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
daniel_roOffline
Post subject: is there a native firewall? what about security?  PostPosted: 10.01.2011, 12:16

I was wondering if there is a native firewall that comes with the distro, or should I install one. If the case, what you recomend?

Also, is there something else that I might need to configure for increasing the security?

Thanks!

Reply with quote Back to top
towoOffline
Post subject: RE: is there a native firewall? what about security?  PostPosted: 10.01.2011, 12:40

A firewall runs never on the system, that should be secured.

slamOffline
Post subject: RE: is there a native firewall? what about security?  PostPosted: 10.01.2011, 15:32
Team Member

Iptables is the integrated firewall in the Linux kernel. It comes with sane defaults you usually do not need to touch on a desktop system. Additionally recommended: A cheap hardware firwall, as it is included in most routers already.
Greetings,
Chris

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
daniel_roOffline
Post subject: RE: is there a native firewall? what about security?  PostPosted: 11.01.2011, 08:30

ok

saxxonianOffline
Post subject: RE: is there a native firewall? what about security?  PostPosted: 11.01.2011, 11:23

are you on RCS-RDS ? if so read your router's manual, there you should be able to adjust to your likings

spoovyOffline
Post subject: RE: is there a native firewall? what about security?  PostPosted: 08.01.2012, 14:59

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but i'm not clear on this. I don't have an iptables init script in init.d, which i'm used to seeing in other distros i have used. So how do I know if it's running or not?

kenyeeOffline
Post subject: RE: is there a native firewall? what about security?  PostPosted: 09.01.2012, 02:31

If you're setting up a firewall, the simplest thing to do is use one of the friendly wrappers around iptables...e.g., firehol, firestarter, or shorewall. I've used firehol and shorewall successfully to lock down ports.

domiciusOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: is there a native firewall? what about security?  PostPosted: 10.01.2012, 20:38

spoovy wrote:
So how do I know if it's running or not?

I'm not an expert here but given that I don't have it in /etc/init.d/ either, I'd say it works a bit different. But simply entering "iptables -L" as root will tell you which policies you have applied. If you haven't used any GUI tools (actually wrappers around iptables), then the output should be sparse. After you apply the rules from a GUI wrapper, you'll see the difference and know "it's running".

spoovyOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: is there a native firewall? what about security?  PostPosted: 12.01.2012, 19:34

Thanks for the replies. Yeah the output to iptables -L is -

Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
target prot opt source destination

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)

Sparse indeed. I guess this is a default "Accept all" configuration; and that as slam said above iptables is built into the kernel somehow. A bit weird not to even have a process running (ps aux | grep iptables shows nothing). I'll read a bit more on it when I get five minutes.

Cheers

kenyeeOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: is there a native firewall? what about security?  PostPosted: 17.01.2012, 03:29

iptables isn't a process. It's a bunch of tables/rules built into the kernel. iptables is a command line program to access those rules.

Your firewall is disabled...that's what that output means...

Jump to: