View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
someoneanywhereOffline
15 Post subject: Purge pulseaudio?  PostPosted: 24.02.2012, 05:56

Hello.
Is it possible to eradicate pulseaudio permanently?
I used to have all of it pulled out and used jackd phonon-jack, but several dist-upgrades ago one again has all the pulseaudio and libs back. It looks as though removing some of the libpulse things will pull out most of my distro. so Iḿ skittish to do that as it also appears that one could not just reinstall the app. packages one at a time without pulling it back in.

Phonon not only no longer works (two dist-upgrades ago) but now no longer has any device shown other than pulseaudio. I hope we are simply influx as new kde stuff migrates in?
Repeated deleting of .gconf stuff related to pulse after purging the pulseaudio package, dpkg-reconfigure alsa-base, alsa-tools, alsa-firmware-loaders, alsa-utils: no sound.
QjackCtl does indeed start and stop the jack server throwing no error messages. But vlc, phonon, etc. do not show jack available nor pass sound through.
Maybe purge out alsa and jackd (after backing up .configs), the reboot, re-install all the alsa stuff and jack fresh???

Last edited by someoneanywhere on 25.02.2012, 22:59; edited 1 time in total

Reply with quote Back to top
x-un-i
Post subject: RE: Purge pulseaudio?  PostPosted: 24.02.2012, 17:11
Team Member

you can deinstall all other but not the following ones
      Code:

ii  libpulse-mainloop-glib0                   1.1-3                          PulseAudio client libraries (glib support)
ii  libpulse0                                 1.1-3                          PulseAudio client libraries

Será que o diabo perdeu a virgindade?

someoneanywhereOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Purge pulseaudio?  PostPosted: 24.02.2012, 17:30

x-un-i wrote:
you can deinstall all other but not the following ones
      Code:

ii  libpulse-mainloop-glib0                   1.1-3                          PulseAudio client libraries (glib support)
ii  libpulse0                                 1.1-3                          PulseAudio client libraries

That is what I´d done before posting here. As you show, those are the libs that bring my hopes to a full stop. Maybe I will simply have to learn to live with pulseaudio as everyone seems to be deciding to use it as de-facto sound server dep.
Drat!!!

someoneanywhereOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Purge pulseaudio?  PostPosted: 25.02.2012, 22:58

Well...somehow it just works today!!!???
dist-upgraded last night (after checking nothing wanted to pull pulseaudio back in and moving any ~/.asoundrc to .bak).
Rebooted....tried systemsettings --> phonon the device list looked good and it all works.
That´s the power of aptosid!!

Jump to: