View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
LastcoderOffline
22 Post subject: [XFCE 32Bit] German localisation  PostPosted: 06.03.2012, 07:45

Hi all,

sounds like a newbie Embarassed question but I don't know how to solve ..

I installed XFCE 32Bit with latest ISO .. after installation was finished I got a english localised XFCE. Didn't find any "tool" for changing that like it's part of every other XFCE distro that was tested by me (LMDE, Salix and so on); after some searching around i found "dpgk-reconfigure locale" which gave me german localisation. Isn't there a generic XFCE tool for that ? At least installing locales is provided for kde with kde-l10n-de and so on; is there a comparable way for XFCE ?

But I can't get a german keyboard layout. Opening the keyboard settings I see only english layout, adding a new layout doesn't work (pressed "Add", nothing happens), using system defaults keeps english layout .. I have no idea Embarassed

Thanks ..

LastCoder

Reply with quote Back to top
towoOnline!
Post subject: RE: [XFCE 32Bit] German localisation  PostPosted: 06.03.2012, 07:47

dpkg-reconfigure locales
dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration

A clever user would have choosen the prefered lang at the bootscreen of the live-cd.

LastcoderOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: [XFCE 32Bit] German localisation  PostPosted: 06.03.2012, 10:45

towo wrote:
dpkg-reconfigure locales
dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration

A clever user would have choosen the prefered lang at the bootscreen of the live-cd.

Thx .. I guess I did so - while live cd xfce and after installation the at least login screen was german localized with a german keyboard layout (otherwise my choosen and entered "keyboard layout specific" password wouldn't have granted access) ..

.. so it's maybe a dist problem and not the users fault as you may suppose ..

.. independently, obviously there is no special (XFCE) tool for user friendly changing of locales ?

Greetz

LastCoder

towoOnline!
Post subject:   PostPosted: 06.03.2012, 11:25

Quote:
.. independently, obviously there is no special (XFCE) tool for user friendly changing of locales ?

For what?
XFCE starts in the language, which is set in $LANG.

LastcoderOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 06.03.2012, 12:39

towo wrote:
      Quote:

For what?
XFCE starts in the language, which is set in $LANG.

hm .. "for what" ? do you use graphical desktop environment ? for what - text console & vi is all you need .. Twisted Evil .. I love that argumentation ..

I had in mind something like that - http://wiki.ubuntuusers.de/Spracheinstellungen ..

but it's okay, it was a question just out of curiosity - I hope that dpkg-reconf stuff will work ..

Greetz

LastCoder

PS: where the hell is Pößneck Laughing greetz from Berlin ..

Jump to: